Windows 8 Just for fun!

Sorry, I assumed that since you said

That it was a brand new install and that you were using the default (only) browser that would be available on a "brand new install".
I see you edited your OP and said you found

Any chance of getting a link to those drivers from you. I would like to give them a try myself.
Thanks
Randy

I guess I need to qualify "New Install" a little bit.
When I install a new OS or set up a new computer, I have a package of software, like Firefox, and a whole list of Tweaks that are a necessary part of that install or setup. I don't even think of it as being an Add-On.
My standard package of tweaks includes, (but is not limited to--) shutting off UAC, Granting Full Admin Control, shutting off Hibernate, setting up the registry to load the Kernel into RAM on bootup, Un-hiding Hidden Files, and installing the Extended Disk Cleanup shortcut to the desktop. All that and much more is in my "Windows 7 Stuff" package on my web site.

If I'm going to go on the Internet, for instance, I need some kind of LAN or WiFi card, drivers, and Firefox. To me that's just the minimum to get on the internet. Then I install Shockwave, Flash and Java. Then I log on to Google and set up Firefox for ' iGoogle ' as my home page and set the Downloads to go to the Desktop.
That's so much a part of my Normal setup that it never occurred to me that anyone would think I actually would use I.E. :black_eyed:
I quit using that monster years ago. I used Netscape till Firefox showed up and I've used ONLY that ever since.
I was there on day one, when Firefox 1.0 was first released and over one million copies were downloaded.

Sorry, I didn't mean to miss-lead! Obviously, a basic install for me would not be a basic install for someone else.
After all, I'm a computer tech of 30 years, not a casual user. Eh?

Cheers Mate!

The Doctor :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for fun........... I went to Windows Updates and got 11 updates for Win-8.
The short part of the story,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the updates TRASHED Win-8.
I thought it was just a coincidence, so I reinstalled Win-8 from scratch. It ran fine,
then I did the Windows updates again and once again.... TRASHED.
I won't be doing that again.

It keeps crashing with a light blue screen, and white lettering, saying That there was an error and it would have to restart, also,
"System thread exception not handled". What the heck does that mean?
ErrorRestart.jpg

On the old Compaq, where the 64 bit version of Win-8 is running great on a 32 bit system, I have not done any Windows updates and that PC is running GREAT! But for just in case, I just did a Ghost backup on that drive.

Now if I screw it up, a quickie restore will put it back in operating condition again. I should have done that on my main PC, where I've installed Win-8 three times now.

Happy Holidays Everyone!
:cool:

Can't offer any suggestions, but, for curiosity. What were the updates?
On my Windows 8 64Bit installation, I have 10 specific OS updates, the last is KB2605658. I do have 7 other "definition" updates for MSE, and several for other software items (Office: Visual studio etc)

I'm humbled, to admit that I don't pay any attention to specific updates.
I just get whatever MS offers and keep my fingers crossed that they cause no harm.

When I Googled that error message, I see lots about drivers, mostly video.

Oh, well, for the duration of the test with W8DP, I just won't get more updates.

Sometimes in testing new software, it's good to clear the deck, so to speak, and start over.
I've done that with windows 8/DP.
I'm currently on my main (64bit) PC with a new/fresh install of Win-8/DP.

I've accepted a number of auto-updates and so far everything is still working according to plan.

I'm elated to report that the very latest version of AVG 2012 Anti-Virus (FREE) has installed without issue and is now happily running in the background, after getting its latest updates. The file I downloaded from AVG is "avg_free_x86_all_2012_1901a4695.exe"

Another success is "Malware Bytes" (FREE) which has quit working on all my XP PC's after the last program upgrade, but is now installed and running AOK on my Win-8/DP installation. The Mod's at Malware Bytes forum have been little or NO help in disclosing why Malware Bytes, the latest version, seems to dislike Windows XP.
They're trying to blame the failure on After Market AV or Firewall programs, or the failure to update to SP3.
I don't have any of those problems so that's not the cause, in my own case.

Also installed and running AOK, is "Spybot Search & Destroy", "Spyware Blaster" and "Trojan Hunter", all programs that I normally use.

I'm currently running Mozilla Firefox 9.0.1.

More on this later,

PS: It's only been a few minutes, but I just went to File Hippo and downloaded the latest "Shockwave Installer Full", and installed it. Then I also installed the last version of "Flash". Both installed and seem to be working, without issue.

Either by a lot of work, going on behind the scenes, or an act of God, , , Win-8 seems to be getting more and more compatible with our favorite programs. That's the only reason that I've not disabled updates, yet.

After each successful update or add-on to Win-8, I'm doing a Ghost backup, using Ghost 11.5 on a bootable flash drive. I'm saving those Backups to the #2 partition on this 500 GB, SATA III drive. (which I need to do again, right now)

I'm wishing everyone a GREAT 2012!

Re: I'm Baaaaaack!

After spending the entire afternoon futzing around with Win-8, I've made a few steps forward.
I've reformatted my Quick Shutdown 'shortcut' to conform to the new Shutdown parameters for Win-8.
The only negative is that my Quick Shutdown will not save the positions of all the desktop icons. To get
a 'icon position' save, I still have to use the old 'START > Shutdown method.
I find that power off comes several seconds after the GUI goes black. The total time is still in the 10 second range.

AVG 2012 Pro is Activated and working AOK.
ERNDT is running from the Startup folder and is making a registry backup on every bootup.
Every other program I've loaded today is also running according to plan.

I did a successful backup of my C: drive with Ghost 11.5 to my D: partition, with FAST (minimum) Compression.

I tried to activate Windows Mail, like I have many times on Win-7 and it refused to activate.
Maybe in the final version.......

So for now, I still have to go back to XP to check my email.

Cheers Mates!
The Doctor :cool:

Re: I'm Baaaaaack!

Windows Mail, as opposed to Live Mail?
fwiw. I have Live installed and, as I use a common mailbox for the three OSs I have installed, I use them freely. No probs with Live Mail - so far.
But,imo, it is now apparent from info available, that the Beta, which is imminent, has cleaned up most of the grey areas in the development release. I have stopped playing with fixes and patches, as they will be mostly irrelevant.
As far as navigation and general useage is concerned, there do not appear to be any significant differences from Windows 7. The new problems may arise in the general use of the Metro interface.

I've said this before, someplace, "on one of the first Windows 7 installs that I had to do for a customer, I tried to use Windows Mail, like I had in Vista but it wouldn't work. So I set up 'Windows Live Mail' and it was a real beast to get it set up and customized to look something like their old Outlook Express." My customer commented that "how could someone like me, who knows virtually nothing about computers, ever do this?".
I agree! It's way beyond the capabilities of a common user. That's probably why so many people use "Web Mail".

Once I get Windows Mail activated, by changing the MSOE.dll file, the rest is as easy as Outlook Express. (OE6).
And, it looks and runs almost identical to OE6, which my customers, who have been using OE6, like forever, really like.

So I'm not going to stop trying to get Windows Mail to work on Win-8, until the final version is out on the street.
I know MS is trying to get the whole world to go with the Windows Live stuff, but this old boy just doesn't like it.

After spending several hours on Win-8, I'm glad to get back to my old familiar Windows XP-Pro-SP3. It's like an old comfortable pair of shoes. :chuncky:

Trying out a totally new OS is a little like driving off down a strange dirt road. I did that once in northern Minnesota, when I was on a Motorcycle trip to western Min. I was riding a Honda 750, 4 cylinder, fully dressed. About a mile back on this little logging road, while negotiating an especially rutty area, the bike tipped over on top of me. I was pinned under it. For a brief moment I had this vision of someone coming along months or even years later and finding my bones still pinned under the Motorcycle. That vision gave me the strength to push the bike up far enough with my free foot, so I could get my other leg out from under the bike. Yeah, a new OS is much like that. :unconscious:

Cheers Mates!

I respect you views. But, with sincerity and friendliness, I really cannot understand what exactly are the difficulties that are being met with Live mail by potential users, - particularly the setup, which is as close to automated as one can get.

Well, it may be simple for you, but not for everyone, especially the novices.
There is Nothing Automatic about it. It's harder to set up than any of several email programs that I've had to set up in the past and then to make operate like O.E. 6.
Even the address book comes up looking like something out of "tales from the crypt".
I had to really work to make it look anything like the Windows Address Book, which my customer was familiar with.

I just won't go through that again. I'll install Mozilla Thunderbird first.

Sorry, if you like it.............You keep it! With my blessings.

"set up in the past and then to make operate like O.E. 6. "

"I had to really work to make it look anything like the Windows Address Book" (You meant XP, of course)

These two aspects were not actually a consideration in my post. I was only referring to Live mail. If your "customers" wish to continue using OE or something similar, then Thunderbird is the better option.

"Well, it may be simple for you, but not for everyone, especially the novices"
Food for thought there. I would not say it was simpler for the novice to get Windows mail running in 7 or 8, than to install Live Mail.
After reading this post, I started a LIve Mail install from scratch.. Apart from putting in my email addresses in, the op took 2 minutes, without interaction from me, except for the initial mandatory agreement.

Contacts? Not sure where you are going with that. "tales from the crypt" ?? I have had to edit and squash my Live picture, to conceal private info, but the essence is there.

Twice this past week, I've had to install new (Windows 7) computers for customers who had been using Windows XP for the past ten years, and Outlook Express 6 for their email, along with the Windows Address Book.

So, I activated 'Windows Mail' and set it up to look like their old familiar O.E.6
Then I saved their XP address book as a CSV file and imported it into Win-7 "Contacts". Again, I did some adjusting to make that look as much like the Windows Address Book as possible.
It was all totally acceptable to my two customers and they thanked my for my efforts.

It's nice, to make people happy.

Cheers Mates!

* So far, I've not been able to activate Windows Mail in Win-8. So Thunderbird gets the job.

Just for fun........
I downloaded and installed the latest Vistart program and VOILA, I have a Start button now and what looks pretty much like a Windows 7 start menu.

WE're getting there! Now if I can find a way to jump right to "Desktop" when I boot up.
If I could just find the shortcut to it, I'd put it in the Startup folder.
Any ideas, where that shortcut might be kept?

Win Key + D opens the Desktop. Perhaps automating this key entry somehow would do it.

Did you have to do the extra steps listed on the second link to make space for the new Start Button?

Thanks, but NO, nothing special. I installed the program and rebooted and as soon as I clicked the Desktop icon from the Metro screen, there it was in the lower left corner, right where it belongs. START, as big as life!

I knew that someone out there would come up with a way.
Now we just need that fix to bypass the metro screen all together, like we could in win-8/DP.

When I go to close down from the desktop screen, I get this weird little error message that I have to OK before I can close down.
I wonder 'what's up with that' ?

Now we just need that fix to bypass the metro screen all together, like we could in win-8/DP.
Doc there is rumored to be a group policy setting that does or at least will support that function. However running gpedit.msc I couldn't find it at a glance perhaps you will have better luck.
And the bottom right hot spot of the Windows 8 CP Screen where you can normal click to switch from desktop to MetroUI, etc., if you right click instead of left click you get a new, what they are calling "Power Users Menu" context menu. It includes some pretty cool fast access stuff.
Thought you guys might be interested.
Regards
Randy

Mine works fine. I have Shutdown and Restart icons on my Desktop I use for this chore. I also installed the ViStart app. I see it does not give full functionality in that I can't pin apps to the Start menu by Right Clicking them, but opening apps does place them in the lower half of the new Start menu. The little thing about having to open in Metro when I first boot is a very minor problem that is quickly fixed with Win +D so I can live with that. I do not use any of the Metro apps. I much prefer ALL the Desktop alternatives as well. I have been using Win 8 CP all weekend. I actually do like IE 10 and use it as default. There is a minor fault with the Enter key which I'm sure you have read about causing me to have to use the Standard Editor, but I can live with this.

Trouble, Win Key + X will also open this menu.

WinKey + D certainly does it but, also, 1 of the default tiles on Start is Desktop. Clk it to Desktop.

Whew!
I'm back!
I know.....I know..... ya didn't even realize I'd left....Eh?

Well, I'd tried so many things that didn't work, and my Firefox was moving like a snail and I'd just lost track of exactly where I was, so I just did a full reinstall, to clear the deck, so to speak.
first thing I did was install the Vistart program. I still get the error message when I try to log off, that I have to click OK to finish the shutdown.

FF is now running up to full speed and everything else seems to be running OK as well.
I also noticed that when I set my desktop icons to specific spots and then shutdown, the positions are remembered. That was not always so, before I did the re-install.
Maybe I'll actually get this thing figgered out, before it expires. Ha Ha!

So now..... where was I? It's been one of those days. :chargrined:

Doc :cool:

WinKey + D certainly does it but, also, 1 of the default tiles on Start is Desktop. Clk it to Desktop.

We were discussing the possibility of starting from boot in Desktop rather than Metro and I was wondering of the possibility of automating the Win Key + D at boot.

Back
Top Bottom