Windows 8 Just for fun!

I've got my desktop pretty well sorted out now. I've unpinned just about everything from the start menu except the desktop and explorer. The few apps I tried that looked like crap full screen and there is no close button. My only hand held device is a $15 TracPhone! It works fine for my needs.
Joe
That's my only hand held device also! One of those "double minute" phones. Every 3 months, I add a 60 minute card to it, with the double minutes & bonus code given to me (I wait until the last 5 days to add a new one), I usually get 140 minutes.

Also, with GMail, which has a free calling plugin, I can make unlimited calls across the US & Canada for free on my PC on notebooks.

I don't need (or want) one of those expensive computer phones. Some people that I know pays over $100 per month for those phones. Not me!

Cat

Again, Just For Fun:

I did some Googling and came up with a method of booting directly into the Classic Windows Desktop.
It's a bit slow, because it does go through the Metro screen, but then right on to the Desktop. A step in the right direction. Eh?

:cool:

The benchmarks are beginning to creep in now. So far they confirm my thoughts, stated previously, that, at this stage, nothing to get excited about except for the touch screen facility. (Startup times, +/-, do not interest me.)

Benchmarks: Windows 8 CP vs Windows 7 - LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Tested: Windows 7 Beats Windows 8 Preview in Battery Life, File Copy, More
Except those with low-spec computers. I can vouch that Windows 8 CP does everything faster than Windows 7 does, while CPU usage is less. RAM is about the same. I just fired up Windows 7 on it today, compared to Windows 8 CP, it's dirt slow.

But on my notebook with much higher specs, you're correct. There's little, if any difference. Not to mention loss of certain functions, such as Turbo Boost, and the 5 dimensional power schemes, using FN +F5.

Cat

For many years now, I've not been too concerned with boot up times, because I do a lot of things with my PC during the boot time.
What I like to do is run my Cleanup batch file, force a new restore point, run the extended Disk Cleanup (automated) then load "Stickies" and finally load my Email Program to fetch my email. (all that is from the Startup folder)
During all that, I go into the kitchen for some refreshment.
My email program alerts me when it's finished receiving email. So when I hear the friendly little female voice telling me "You've got mail!" I know it's time to go back to the computer and start answering my mail.

Now, with the mod of Win-8 to boot up to the Desktop, just passing by the Metro screen, I can pretty much do all of the above with Win-8 like I currently do with XP.

Works for me!

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
The benchmarks were, of course, not mine. As I have said in previous posts, I have not, on personal timing, noticed any earth shattering performance improvements. In some areas windows 8 is slower, in others it is a little faster. CPU and memory usage are not, I feel, a big issue today, as most computers have excess of both - even laptops. My observations in that area did not show the remarkable results expressed by others.
But. Why so much emphasis on the start-up times? Surely users do not do this so often 24/7. If it is a problem, then hibernate instead. (A little of topic, but my comparative start up times are around the 5 second mark currently - big deal)
I also feel the emphasis on the touch screen is, for the moment, unreal. Like Catt, I do not have a touch screen, and, maybe, never will. But, for me, I cannot see myself reaching across my keyboard to touch my screen, when the mouse is sitting under my right hand. As it is, for my general use, I only use the mouse to open programs, my little digits then flick around the keyboard.
Hopefully, between now and Autumn, Microsoft will incorporate a method to alternatively use the more familiar desktop and start menu. Feedback from all areas shows that this is a common request. Users will then have to satisfy themselves as to whether they have a worthwhile improved OS, or should stick to what they now understand (Windows 7). With so many users still praising the virtues of XP, even on sites such as this, I do feel that many will stay where they are.
For myself, whether Windows 8 is a better performer, or on par, I will move on. I have no complaints with the OS, only views on some of its revolutionary awkwardness. I certainly will see no purpose in moving on, with the intention of loading it up with hacks and programs to make it run and look like Windows 7.

With so many users still praising the virtues of XP, even on sites such as this, I do feel that many will stay where they are.

That's where I'm at, currently. I have so many things going on in XP-Pro-SP3, that would never work in any later OS, that there is just NO WAY that I'll make any other OS my mainstay.

I also feel the emphasis on the touch screen is, for the moment, unreal. Like Catt, I do not have a touch screen, and, maybe, never will. But, for me, I cannot see myself reaching across my keyboard to touch my screen, when the mouse is sitting under my right hand. As it is, for my general use, I only use the mouse to open programs, my little digits then flick around the keyboard.
Hopefully, between now and Autumn, Microsoft will incorporate a method to alternatively use the more familiar desktop and start menu. Feedback from all areas shows that this is a common request. Users will then have to satisfy themselves as to whether they have a worthwhile improved OS, or should stick to what they now understand

Apparently, the touch screen has come into its own, on POS devices (cash registers) and cell phones, tablets, etc., but for a home computer, where you might set there playing Sol for hours, or working a forum < add name of your favorite forum here > I just don't see the touch screen ever replacing the mouse and keyboard.

On the trusty old Commodore 64, the mouse never really came into its own, but the joystick sure did. Weird, but I've never owned a joystick for the PC. With the PC, I moved up to the mouse. With just two buttons and one ball, the first mice were about as ergonomic as a brick-bat.

So far, I've not figured out how one would simulate the actions of a wireless wheel mouse with a touch screen. Poorly, I would imagine.

Now if someone ever comes up with a way to run Outlook Express in Win-8, that would be a noticeable improvement.
There are several programs that restore the START button, Start Menu, etc, to Win-8 but when I tried them on my own PC, one or another of them messed up my Win-8 at the registry level.
I did a re-install of Win-8 to start over with a clean slate. Right now, I'm using no such program, but I have all the functionality of Win-7, by just using what's available in Win-8.
Everything's there, , , it's just not as easy to get to as it was in previous OS's.
I've just not been able to get Windows Mail working yet (WinMail.exe)
Maybe some programmer (hacker) will figure that one out, someday.

Thanks Dave for a great post.

The Doctor :cool:

I think we have to wait for the RTM, dr, before criticising or speculating further. I have been crawling through the registry today. Many of the binary data entries are totally empty. It is little wonder that it is, for some at least, showing more sparkle. I am going to hold my breath for a few months and hope.

That's funny, because I just left the registry after poking around in there for about an hour.
Many of the keys that I used to modify for one reason or another are just NOT THERE!

And many of the registry scripts that I've used in the past don't work either.
I have several variations of the script to make a new restore point, but none of them work in Win-8, even the one that works fine in Win-7. Go figure, why those MS programmers had to change so many things that made Windows just Work.
I'd like to have a new restore point, made automatically, every time I boot up, but so far I've found no way to do it.
Even the ability to make a new restore point with 'rstrui.exe' no longer exists. It now only allows you to do a Restore, but not to make a new restore point, like it did in XP.

Only time will tell, if some great script writer will come up with the scripts we need. Most of us are running scripts (programs) right now, that were created outside of MS.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've said it previously but, do keep in mind... the current Win8 may work relatively well, look fairly good but, it is, indeed, a beta. Oft, reading in various tech forums it sounds like ppl are forgetting this... expecting perfection, commenting as if it's a final product. When I beta tested Vista & Windows7 for MS we had several Builds, several betas. There may not be all that w/ Win8 but, I firmly believe the Build Team is not sitting on their hands 'til October & treating Windows8 as in the can, now. I do have colleagues, friends & relatives in MS and a lot of work & time has gone into Winds8 & it may be close but, the CP is beta.

& by policy this is really not a forum to imply welcoming or encouraging or advocating hacking or hackers or even hinting the Forum promotes this as a source for anything some ppl may think they need.

Again, Just for Fun.....

A picture is still worth 1000 words, so I like to use pictures in my posts wherever they may clarify a topic or make an impact.
However, since installing Firefox in Windows 8/CP, I've not been able to bring up a picture in Photobucket and click the link and copy it, so I can then paste that img link into a post on a forum. This has been very frustrating.
So a while ago, I loaded Java, which made no difference, then I loaded both[B] Flash and Shockwave[/B] and now I can copy a photo from Photobucket like I always have on XP.

Just one more success story!

Re: I'm Baaaaaack!

For some reason, when I hit the Enter key to make a new sentence or create a new paragraph, nothing happens. I have to just keep typing.

Found similar occurrence if I use Metro to access the Forum but not so if I access from the Desktop. Go figure!

Back