Windows 7 Keyboard and mouse do not work when booting/Desktop freezes/Safe Mode does same

Barn

Well, I really have never seen anything quite like this. When I boot up my PC and it gets to the desktop, a program window pops up and the mouse and keyboard will not work. Therefore, I cannot clear the program from the desktop or go anywhere to run scans or the like to see if the problem is virus related. When I go into safe mode, it does the same thing. I tried restoring to last known configuration with no results. System Restore shows no restore points. I can't do anything including get you information on my PC. I am running Windows 7 32 bit on a HP/Compaq DC 7600 C/PD 950. I am running Avast Anti-Virus Suite Pro. Regardless once on the desktop, I can not go anywhere. What the heck? Right now I am working on my laptop. Okay, gentlemen and lady experts do your work. This is very frustrating but anything that doesn't work on a PC is just that. Thanks in advance,

Barn

Further: I neglected to tell you that the mouse/keyboard works in any other mode such as with a boot disk but not on the desktop, safe mode, etc. I am using a wireless mouse and keyboard (Logitech). Checked batteries, drivers, etc.

Hi

If you have a wired mouse and keyboard or either one plug it in and see if it works.
My first thought is that something is wrong with the wireless part of the thing.

If you discover that a wired mouse works then we know where to start.

Mike

Mike: Same results. Can't use either the mouse or keyboard. I appreciate your reply. What's next?

Mike: Thanks! Chalk this one up to the Resolved column with your help. I changed out the keyboard and mouse with another wireless and I am back in business.

BUT I have another problem in that the USB Controllers,Audio Devices and Network Adapters have all died on me. They all have the little yellow exclamation points and all have Code 39 errors (I believe related to the drivers). What the heck happened here? No sound, no internet; might have been the reason for the keyboard/mouse working. But when I checked them they are all okay. Any ideas? If I need to repost a new thread, I can. Thanks!

Hi

I really don't have a clue what's going on.

You can start by uninstalling the various items one at a time in Device Manager and rebooting so that Windows will reinstall them and their drivers.

I'd start with the Network Adapters so that you get you internet connection back up and running.

This will let Windows look for drivers for the other things.
If that works just work through them one at a time.

If re-installing them does't do it then...

It might be a time to try and do a repair install and get everything back to the default settings.
I can't stress enough how important is is to have your computer backed up.

With the price of external hard drives being as low as they are now, it's worth it to make a back up for times like this.
You can back up both of your computers on the same one, and it's really easy now that Windows has it's own built in backup utility and boot disk creator.

If you have service pack 1 installed it's necessary to remove it before you do the repair.

How to uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom