Windows 7 LAN/WLAN sharing problems

belethrod

Hi. I've got a problem with sharing folders in Windows 7. I have PC and laptop - both with Windows 7 Ultimate and Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 (if that matters). Windows 7 firewall disabled. In KIS network set as "Trusted". Settings like these: Link Removed - Invalid URL
I don't have HomeGroup

Problem:
When I try to access laptop's shared folders from PC (or PC's shared folders from laptop) via LAN or WLAN it shows me a network error that windows can't access PC/laptop, error code 0x80070035.
This problem appears only beetween my PC and Laptop. In my WLAN network I have also 5 PCs. I can access all of them from PC and laptop. I've tried laptop in my LAN network at work and there was no problems as well.

This problem revealed after formating my laptop. I had also Win 7 before and everything worked fine.

Help me, please.

Try uninstalling Kaspersky and see if the problem persists. You can always install it later after your network issues are resolved.

When you uninstall see if Kaspersky has a cleanup/uninstall tool on their website. Uninstalling antivirus software sometimes needs this to prevent problems.
Joe

I am experiencing the exact same problem though i have a PC and am trying to access a share folder on my NAS attached to my router. I have Bitdefender 2010 internet security which i have uninstalled, disabled and still teh problem persists. I can see the NAS drive as a listed device on my network in the Windows 7 "Browse for Folder" within Map Network Drive dialog howver when i try to expand the contents of teh NAS so i can pick a particular folder i simply get the same error:

Windows cannot access \\MK-NAS
error code 0x80070035
the network path was not found

Both my NAS and PC are on the same workgroup called MSHOME and in the same subnet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Probably a distinctly different issue, try this
Hold Windows logo key and strike the "R" key type secpol.msc into the run dialog box
Expand Local Policies and select Security Options
Locate Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level in the list and double click
Change the setting to Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session if negotiated
Network Security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP Based (including secure RPC) Clients
Change the setting from require 128 bit to unchecked (No Minimum)
Click OK
See if that helps

Last edited:
Hi, i'm sure you're going to point out i made a silly purchase but guess which version of Windows 7 i bought.... Home Premium Edition. Apparently the security policies tool does not come with this version. Do you know of another way to access the settings thats different from Run?

Thanks

Default folder sharing in Win7 is in public Folder

After i saw ur picture,u can sharing folder already

Hi, i'm sure you're going to point out i made a silly purchase but guess which version of Windows 7 i bought.... Home Premium Edition. Apparently the security policies tool does not come with this version. Do you know of another way to access the settings thats different from Run?

Thanks
OK, didn't know your version, that's why I keep buggin people to fill out their system specs. You can get around this issue by using the registry editor if you're comfortable doing that. First always backup the registry before editing and export the registry key for safe keeping, also create a restore point before doing anything like this. Then go here and follow Getsor's answer dated Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:40 AM, this should help with the issue with NTLMv2. Then open Network and Sharing Center, change advanced sharing setting, scroll down to File sharing connections and change that to Enable file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56-bit encryption. Link Removed - Invalid URL Hope this helps with your problem

This shoudl make your network a little easier, yet faster at the same time.

I am going to help you set up a static IP addresses for your network.

*** - Depends on your IP Address of your Router.
If you can tell me your Router Model I can help you. Usually, D-Link is 192.168.0.1; Linksys is 192.168.1.1 and Belkin is 192.168.2.1

Change this in your network Adapter settings under the IPv4 not the IPv6.

Computer 1 (PC):
IP: 192.168.***.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.***.1

Computer 2 (Laptop):
IP: 192.168.***.3
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.***.1

The other computers you just change the last digit in the IP.. the rest is the same.
*NOTE*
Do not use .1 ; that is saved for your Route (Gateway).

When you create a static IP for your computers you must add DNS and Secondary DNS servers as well:
These come from your ISP or it could be found when you log into your router under the STATUS page
Without these settings, you will not be able to bring up any web pages.

Putting these computers into static IPs will help the Security and Windows to Identify one another alot easier.

HOME GROUP:
I have a server at my house and I only use home group with the server becuase all my files are at one central location. These files I use for public access files only. You know public photos, Original Drivers for all my computers, ect....
If you were to use homegroup on both of your computer then it will show files on both of your computers depending on how you have it set up. Once you set up home group, it will ask you which folders you would like to share over the network. Please remember when you share them, anyone with access to the computers can see them. So, be careful about that.

THE FILE ECRYPTION:
I would suggest that you would leave that at 128 since both of your computers are using Windows 7. Usually that is only used when you re using a lower version of Windows with 7 and it can't read one another's ecryption.

THE PASSWORD PROTECTION:
keep the password protection on. That is very important because if you keep that off then anyone can have access to your shared files.
I have accessed all mycomputers with an Administrator account and becuase it all uses the same user accont and password, it lets it go through. ***if you would like instructions on how to make your computers access the admin account; please let me know***

FOR YOUR ROUTER:
Please let me know what model and make of our router is and I can help you configure it.
Please keep the NAT and UPNP on with your router so that your network will sent internet to all of your computers and programs will have an easier time accessing the internet that uses UPNP for instance MSN Messenge and PS3 if you got one.

FOR YOUR INTERNET SECURITY 2010:
I am not quite sure on how it works with your internet seucirty but i was looking through the manual. It is kind of hard to see without slides but it does show some text. The thing that will help you out is that you have just put your computers in Static IPs soit will help you out.

This is the Manual:
"Link Removed due to 404 Error"

This is a 4.86mb download give or take and please direct yourself to page 88 and follow the directs. I would like for you to configure your Internet Security on Both the laptop and Desktop to have the trusted sites from IP Address: 192.168.***.1 to 192.168.***.10

That is all you need to do on both computers... apply the settings and just reboot.

If there is anything else... Please let me know.

Last edited:
Hi and thank you both for the in-depth solutions. :)

Trouble i followed the directions on the link you provided and it has worked to an extent (ill explain in a sec).

acurasd my network is slightly complex, a static IP approach is good provided i can see the other devices, though my knowledge is limited when it comes to networks. Currently i have a British ISP called Be Broadband that supply a router with teh subscription - its a Thomson Speedtouch wireless router Thomson - Broadband UK - Home though i cant provide teh exact model number just yet.

My network consists of a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.5.8 -Leopard (wireless) and a NAS drive (wired) Link Removed - Invalid URL Configuring all these to work well together is always a hassle but i have succeeded in the past with WinXP Pro. I am currently using Win7 Home Premium.

After following the registry tutorial to change secpol provided by Trouble i have been able to setup and access shared documents on my Pc via my Mac. However i read another post claiming that by default Win7 cannot see more than 1 network device and followed a registry tweak to work around this. Though i must point out that after doing so it caused havoc with my Bit Defender antivirus systray icon and had to do a system restore which luckily got me back to square1.

Read more on that reg tweak here >> Link Removed - Invalid URLhttp://windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/5323-mapping-network-drive-win7-rc.html

Currently my network shows the macbook but not the NAS drive, when i try to browse my network it simply doesn't find anything else. So i am now detahced from my main work share, any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
THE APPLE COMPUTER:
I will be perfectly honest with you. I am not familar with those computers and operationg systems. I know
better and stick with PC's. *lol*

Since, that is laptop and I am sure you dont keep it at home. Let's just keep that computer with a dynamic
IP so it can catch a new IP address if you decide to go to a starbucks or whatever they got over there in
England. We got McDonalds that serves Lattes now.

You do know that you won't be able to use alot of files becuase Apple and Windows use two different system
Files. I will try to find a fourm that will show how to connect Windows and Apple computers together but i
am very good connecting Windows together.

YOUR ROUTER:
I would defintily configure your router this way. It will make it the right way. You said that your router
is broadband.
Under your internet. Just configure it like you do to get your internet connection. Most likely Dynamic
which we do in the united states.

Under the NETWORK AND/OR LAN SETTINGS:
This can be anything you want; for instance:

Router/Lan: 192.168.***.1
Preferely between 0-20 for the *** makes it easier.

For instance: My LAN id is: 192.168.2.1 this is also considered your gateway address as well

*NOTE*
You have to remember...
If you used: 192.168.2.1 Like i did...
the rest of your network configuration should be like:
192.168.2.2 , 192.168.2.3 , 192.168.2.56 , and therefore... only the last set should change on each
computer you assign. It can go up to 255. Just write down what you make each computer so you know what
they are.

Your Subnet will be: 255.255.255.0

First thing I would like for you to do before you change anything is get into the Router and see what
information you can pull from the interne. You need the DNS numbers:
If you can get into your Status or System informationon your router it will be under your WAN tab

You will have to tell me how many computers you are setting up and also what versions of windows you have
on them and i will help you set them up becuase each version is different. Microsoft had to go and make it
complicated for everyone you know.

Also, I think I found your NAS... confirm this for me please.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
Hi acurasd,

To confirm:
The links you provided to the NAS are correct
My router is the only gateway on the network and is set to default 192.168.1.254 (i dont know if i can change this)
Other devices that connect to the network include a Pc laptop "Powernote" currently assigned as dynamic (please see attachment - other devices on the image are "Guest - non permanent devices")
McDonalds sell latte's here too! (Albeit made out of processed beef!) :)

The IP's have been assigned by DHCP on the router... the DHCP server on the NAS has been disabled via the GUI to stop conflicts. My macbook (MBP) is my main work computer as i work in design and ZYON is the name of my home PC with Win7. Powernote is running XP Pro SP3.

All devices are running on the same default subnet 255.255.255.0
I can see the device name for my MBP in the win7 network listing. My NAS is simply not listed. When i type \\MK-NAS\ into the "Map network drive" dialog box or the ip 192.168.1.73 it returns error: Windows cannot access XXXXXX. Needless to say the windows diagnosis tool is useless...

DNS serves are set to auto i can obtain these but i'd need to contact my ISP.
Not sure about the WAN tab info you're after, if you tell me specfically what info you need i can accommodate... perhaps its on one of the 2 attachments?
Many Thanks

Speedtouch router is model 585

Hi acurasd,

To confirm:
The links you provided to the NAS are correct
My router is the only gateway on the network and is set to default 192.168.1.254 (i dont know if i can change this)
Other devices that connect to the network include a Pc laptop "Powernote" currently assigned as dynamic (please see attachment - other devices on the image are "Guest - non permanent devices")
McDonalds sell latte's here too! (Albeit made out of processed beef!) :)

The IP's have been assigned by DHCP on the router... the DHCP server on the NAS has been disabled via the GUI to stop conflicts. My macbook (MBP) is my main work computer as i work in design and ZYON is the name of my home PC with Win7. Powernote is running XP Pro SP3.

All devices are running on the same default subnet 255.255.255.0
I can see the device name for my MBP in the win7 network listing. My NAS is simply not listed. When i type \\MK-NAS\ into the "Map network drive" dialog box or the ip 192.168.1.73 it returns error: Windows cannot access XXXXXX. Needless to say the windows diagnosis tool is useless...

DNS serves are set to auto i can obtain these but i'd need to contact my ISP.
Not sure about the WAN tab info you're after, if you tell me specfically what info you need i can accommodate... perhaps its on one of the 2 attachments?
Many Thanks

Speedtouch router is model 585

i'll be more than happy to help you through yahoo on IM... then we can slowly get your network working with little to no conflicts... and i can help you configure your router...

that is good that you turned off your NAS's dynamic ip. Looks like you got alot going in your house. Where do you have all the room for all of those things *lol* I am running out of space for my stufff and I don't nearly have as much as you do.

Just a quick update: I have since double checked the my NAS after reading through your links and realised that the subnet mask was infact different. This happened because i recently restored the NAS to factory default and although it was set to Auto IP config the NAS still carries its default subnet info (as advised in the myspew link you've provided above). To work round this i have now made the NAS static and entered the subnet info.

This has resulted in the NAS now being listed in my network settings within Win7, however when i try to map the aforementioned NAS listing the following error occurs: MK-NAS not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource, Contact the admin of this serverto find out if you have access. A remote procedure call (RPC) protocol error occurred.

Any thoughts?

If turn on password protected sharing u cannot access sharing folder

Password protected sharing is off on both the Public and Home or Work settings in Advanced Sharing Settings.. same problem persists.

When i expand the Show details in the error dialog box it states error code: 0x80070043 The network name cannot be found.

Any thing else?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom