Windows 7 Laptop Freezing on Startup

Thomas Conway

Hi,

I've a Dell XPS L501X laptop running windows 7. My laptop freezes every time on startup and the only way to stop it from freezing is to go into windows mobility centre right as you get to the desktop and turn wireless off. If wireless connectivity is already turned off it starts up fine.

However, when I turn wireless back on it won't connect. To resolve this I've to troubleshoot the connection problem by clicking the red X between the "gateway" and "internet" icons.

I regularly run a disk clean-up/tune-up, anti-malware and threat scans in case any problem can come from them. When the laptop is running I can disconnect and connect from wireless no problem, I'm only getting this issue on startup. No other device on the same network has any problems and this happens regardless of the network I'm using whether it be home/college/etc.

Does anyone know anything that could help me with this?

One thing to note, earlier in the year my laptop was getting blue screened (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) due to using a molecular modelling software called Gaussian03 for college. I got my laptop repaired where the drivers were reinstalled and updated as well as many other things that are beyond me, it worked fine for a bit but I've been getting this problem for a while now.

Would updating to windows 10 when it's made available make any difference?

Thanks.

hello there, Thomas Conway! Welcome to Windows Forums! We hope you enjoy using this site and your issues are resolved!

Anyways, I need to ask you a favor!

Try to un-install your Wi-Fi Driver

Navigate to "Start>Control Panel>Uninstall a program"
Select the wireless driver and click "Uninstall" at the top.

Now, re-intstall it!

I am gonna assume you have a 32-bit processor

Drivers: Dell XPS L501X Drivers Download for Windows 7, 8.1, 8, Vista, XP

Back
Top Bottom