k0tten

Hi there.

I recently (~6 months ago) bought a new laptop. An HP Compaq 6735b to be more exact. I have been running Windows 7 32-bit until lately where I decided to buy another 2Gb of RAM. I now had 4Gb ram in total and didnt see any reason why not to use the 64-bit version of Windows 7. (we get these windows versions from school through MSDNAA)

However, Catalyst Control Center (CCC) is NOT identifying my GPU now. Whenever I try to start CCC I get the following error message:
"Unable to Start ATI Catalyst™ Control Center because the active GPU is not supported"

Please note that I did NOT have this issue when running 32-bit. I have installed drivers accordingly to instructions from HPs suppoort-pages, but I'm now running out of ideas on how to fix this.
I should point out that graphics intense things such as high-definition movies, games etc is working great. So it is not a drive issue. Also worked without any issues at all on the 32-bit version so I've assumed that this is NOT a hardware related issue.

Please help me! ;)

Sidenote: My laptop has become VERY noisy since I changed to Windows 7 64-bit, is this somehow related to my problem? I'm talking about the fan making so much noise I cannot have it turned on during a lecture (classroom fills ~350 persons). Sometimes its not even warm when the fan starts going. I know there's supposed to be a "heating solution" under energy-options -> Energysaving functions for the processor -> Cooling principals for the computer. This is not working if the fan is already doing its thing. (might not be the exact words since my version of windows is in Swedish, and I've translated this)

I must also apologize for my English. I'm not a native speaker. I hope I've made myself understood!
Thanks.

Solution
It seems like you are encountering a couple of issues after upgrading your laptop to Windows 7 64-bit and adding more RAM. Let's address these problems one by one:
### Issue 1: Catalyst Control Center (CCC) Not Identifying GPU
When you upgraded from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit on your HP Compaq 6735b, you started experiencing issues with the Catalyst Control Center not recognizing your GPU. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve this problem:
1. Update Graphics Drivers: Ensure that you have the latest drivers installed for your GPU. Visit the AMD website or the HP support page for the latest drivers compatible with your hardware and the 64-bit version of Windows 7.
2. Reinstall CCC: Try...
It seems like you are encountering a couple of issues after upgrading your laptop to Windows 7 64-bit and adding more RAM. Let's address these problems one by one:
### Issue 1: Catalyst Control Center (CCC) Not Identifying GPU
When you upgraded from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit on your HP Compaq 6735b, you started experiencing issues with the Catalyst Control Center not recognizing your GPU. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve this problem:
1. Update Graphics Drivers: Ensure that you have the latest drivers installed for your GPU. Visit the AMD website or the HP support page for the latest drivers compatible with your hardware and the 64-bit version of Windows 7.
2. Reinstall CCC: Try uninstalling the current CCC software and then reinstalling it. Make sure to download the latest version compatible with your GPU model and Windows 7 64-bit.
3. Compatibility Mode: If reinstalling doesn't work, try running CCC in compatibility mode. Right-click on the CCC shortcut, go to Properties, then Compatibility, and select a previous Windows version that worked for you.
4. Check GPU Support: Verify if your GPU is officially supported by the version of CCC you are trying to use. Some older GPUs may not be fully supported by newer software versions.
### Issue 2: Laptop Fan Noise After Upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit
The increase in fan noise on your laptop after switching to Windows 7 64-bit might be due to the system working harder with the additional RAM and possibly different power management settings. Here are some suggestions to address this:
1. Check Power Settings: Ensure that your power settings are configured correctly. Go to Control Panel > Power Options and adjust settings to balance performance and noise.
2. Update BIOS: Check if there are any BIOS updates available for your laptop on the HP support page. Updating the BIOS can sometimes resolve fan noise issues.
3. Clean Cooling System: Over time, dust and debris can accumulate in the laptop's cooling system, leading to increased fan noise. Consider cleaning the cooling system to improve airflow and reduce noise.
4. Monitoring Software: Install software like HWMonitor or SpeedFan to monitor your laptop's temperatures and fan speeds to identify any unusual behavior that might be causing the noise.
5. Thermal Paste: If the laptop is still noisy and not overheating, you may consider reapplying thermal paste on the CPU and GPU to ensure proper heat dissipation.
Feel free to try these troubleshooting steps and let me know if you need further assistance in resolving these issues! Your English is great, and there's no need to apologize. I'm here to help!

Solution
Back