Windows 7 Left Windows 7.

epk1950

Banned
Well, I ran Windows 7 x64 for a few months, I could not take it anymore, the freezes, network disconnection's. Those two were the only problems I was having. Others have great results as I did but with +2 problems. Ordered XP x64 key, got it installed, having absolutely no problems with it. Maybe I'll give it a shot when Windows 8 comes out.

I have to say from the sounds of it you didn't reallly give Windows 7 much of a chance.. ;) Did you try using the 32-bit version instead? I wouldn't go as far as waiting for Windows 8 to come out.. Driver support is most likely the reason you had the problems you did.. Driver support for 64-bit is getting better every day but I'm sure it will be even better after the Oct 22nd release.. ;) Perhaps it would be worth trying again in a couple months.. Once developers have had a little bit more time to pump out the 64-bit drivers.. :)

I had the same problems with Windows 7 build 7000 (that is the beta version), and I kept having problems until, that build right before RTM. They finally fixed those nasty show stopper bugs with network cards/copying/moving files. From that moment on, I had nothing but joy. Now I'm using OEM and it's great as it can be.

I'm saying this since you haven't mentioned what version (build) you used. :)

I am gonna give it another shot, tonight.
received new graphics card, gonna see how it goes, maybe with dif gfx card it might turn up to be a better experience than prior.

I love it. I think it's built for the intel quad core and i7 computers... after all the heart of it is the multi-thread processing. My device manager shows I have 8 processors installed. I've run rc for a couple months then got 7600 and it runs great
after I tweaked a couple hundred setting. Here is my blog: Windows 7 Forums - tblount

A lot of people have sound driver problems but that can be fixed or they may have to run Win ME like I do on an older system. I do think the price is outrageous and a lot of people won't put out the money until they can't run their software on xp or whatever.

No Windows 7 for me

I have been using several versions of Windows 7 beta, RC, and now RTM since beta went public in January. While I will keep one instance of Windows 7 just because it is "there", it will definitely NOT become my primary OS for the present time and probably for years to come. There have just been too many useful features that were previously available and have been replaced with less valuable fluff and puff features that Windows 7, tho a smaller step backward than Vista is clearly still a significant step backward from even XP. The "look and feel" is still WAY too Vista like and the stability is only a small step better than Vista.

I'm sorry John, but it's your hardware,, not the OS on stability.

The only reason most people were Purchasing the P 830D was for it's stability in over clocking it.
Other than that, you need to upgrade your hardware for Vista/7. That is the way it is and it isn't going to Change.
Windows 8 will be the same way,,, as it was when XP first released.

People complained about XP's memory requirements all the way back then. So, it is De Ja Vu.

I'm sorry John, but it's your hardware,, not the OS on stability.

The only reason most people were Purchasing the P 830D was for it's stability in over clocking it.
Other than that, you need to upgrade your hardware for Vista/7. That is the way it is and it isn't going to Change.
Windows 8 will be the same way,,, as it was when XP first released.

People complained about XP's memory requirements all the way back then. So, it is De Ja Vu.

The hardware I have Windows 7 on exceeds Microsoft minimum RECOMMENDED specs by some small margin. So is the Core 2 Duo E4600 and 2 GB RAM that I had Windows RC on for a couple of weeks also insuficient hardware? I experienced the same instability on that setup as on this one. What are you saying - that Microsoft is going to repeat their "Vista capable" debacle now on Windows 7? I don't understand what hardware has to do with Microsoft dumping the many useful features and adding less useful "fluff and puff' features!

quote " dumping the many useful features and adding less useful "fluff and puff' features! "
Comparing to Vista or XP?
Perhaps you could outline which specific features. Maybe the previous alternative is hidden there.?

Ok,, well,, I say it again,,,,,

If 7 and Vista for that matter,,,, are sooooooo unstable,,,,, then why is it that I have never, not once had any,,, not one single stability issue with either. As many many others. It is you dude,,,, not Windows,,,, YOU!

If the problem truly was a problem with Windows..... then I and many others would suffer the same problems,,, wouldn't we?
Or are we lying? That's the only other explanation. All of us who do not have any stability issue would have to be lying if it were a problem with windows. But it's not,.,.,,, it is YOU!

quote " dumping the many useful features and adding less useful "fluff and puff' features! "
Comparing to Vista or XP?
Perhaps you could outline which specific features. Maybe the previous alternative is hidden there.?

There are many, but the first two that come to mind are the efficiency of the "classic start menu", another is the ability to arrange Windows Explorer window icons in my desired order. The only order available in Windows 7 is alphabetical. (I brought this issue up in TechNet forum and they responded with the possibility that eventually they might be able to be automatically arranged according to order of most recent use, but forget any manual arrangement according to user wishes.) I am not referring to desktop icons, but rather to folder windows within Windows Explorer.

Another frustration that comes to mind is the arrangement of items in Control Panel. The English speaking world (and most of the rest of the world) is accustomed to reading columns from top to bottom. So why would they arrange the Control Panel items alphabetically across each row? If we want to find something that starts with a "G", why can we not just scan down the left side of each column in turn 'til we get to the "Gs" instead of moving our eyes and attention across 24 or so rows of 3 items each?

In general, Microsoft has ignored the wishes of a huge portion of their user population and has done what Microsoft wants to do, not what the user wants done. If I cannot use one product satisfactorily, I will search for another product to spend my money on. This policy includes Microsoft. I cannot use Windows 7 as efficiently as I can use Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Ok,, well,, I say it again,,,,,

If 7 and Vista for that matter,,,, are sooooooo unstable,,,,, then why is it that I have never, not once had any,,, not one single stability issue with either.

!

Perhaps you never tried to do any work with Windows Vista or Windows 7!

That ends my participation in this argument.

There are many, but the first two that come to mind are the efficiency of the "classic start menu", another is the ability to arrange Windows Explorer window icons in my desired order. The only order available in Windows 7 is alphabetical. (I brought this issue up in TechNet forum and they responded with the possibility that eventually they might be able to be automatically arranged according to order of most recent use, but forget any manual arrangement according to user wishes.) I am not referring to desktop icons, but rather to folder windows within Windows Explorer.

Another frustration that comes to mind is the arrangement of items in Control Panel. The English speaking world (and most of the rest of the world) is accustomed to reading columns from top to bottom. So why would they arrange the Control Panel items alphabetically across each row? If we want to find something that starts with a "G", why can we not just scan down the left side of each column in turn 'til we get to the "Gs" instead of moving our eyes and attention across 24 or so rows of 3 items each?

In general, Microsoft has ignored the wishes of a huge portion of their user population and has done what Microsoft wants to do, not what the user wants done. If I cannot use one product satisfactorily, I will search for another product to spend my money on. This policy includes Microsoft. I cannot use Windows 7 as efficiently as I can use Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

I'm not too found of the way the Control Panel is laid out either.. I can see past though I guess.. ;) I agree that the items are out of place so to speak.. Perhaps a Service Pack will address this if enough buzz is generated.. ;) Sounds unlikely but so do a lot of things about Windows.. :)

It is obviously a question of a personal point of view. Until it was brought to my attention in one of your earlier posts I had no really considered the order of items in Windows Explorer.

The Start menu has been discussed in two overlarge Threads on this site. I seem to be in a minority of users who are quite pleased with the new menu. I have arranged it to my own personal preferences and keep a copy for pasting into new installs.

Of course, you can stretch your view of the control panel downwards and shrink it sideways bydragging, to get the top to bottom effect you crave. but maybe too much clicking?

View attachment 2318

But, apart from those two personal visual annoyances, are there any more specific items you do no like?

We are not alone

Occasionally I too experience network disconnections.

Two times I have had problems connecting to the internet after rebooting. When I reset/unplugged (for a few seconds) the router I could connect.

We are not alone... They have been discussing this glitch here:

Windows 7 RTM - problem connecting with wifi to a Linksys WAG325N router

Quote: Having downloaded the RTM Enterprise version of Windows 7 I've come across a repeatable issue when attempting to access the internet through my Linksys WAG325N router. The client is Windows 7 RTM Enterprise 64 bit installed on two seperate machines that both experience the same problem.

The clients both failed to obtain an ipaddress from the routers dhcp server. I moved a client to connect by patch lead directly to a port on the router and still no joy, elliminating wifi authentication as an issue. Rebooting the router allows the client to connect and access the internet over wifi. It seems that the problem occurs during the initial attempt to obtain an ipaddress from it.

Anotehr quote: Contact Linksys. I have a Linksys router and I have had promblems with Windows 7. Linksys fixed all the problems..

BUT he/she did not say what they did.

Google: windows 7 linksys routers and there are several discussions.. maybe I'll find the solution... or someone else will that reads this.

W7 runs on my poor tired old single core system almost flawlessly. It's not perfect but neither was W95, W98, ME, XP Home, XP Pro x64 or Vista. Neither was Ubuntu versions 7.04 through 8.10. It's the best one I've found yet.

I may be wrong but it seems to me that third party softwares often don't play well together. An example is, if I installed Nero 7 first then Office 2003 afterward the Office Installer would break Nero 7. This was something I found out from Microsoft. When I was looking for good video encoding software I went through Nero, WinDVD Creator and a couple others I don't remember the names of. These things trashed my system to the point I ended up reinstalling Windows.

Malware protection can make a system run badly. McAfee is pure garbage. Norton used to be a resource hog that bogged down a system badly. The new version is good though. I've seen people in forums bragging about the fact that they have 5 or 6 different malware programs running in their systems trying to block malware. They're bound to affect each other. The only 2 malware blockers I run are Eset Smart Security and Windows Defender. I have Super AntiSpyware that I use for scanning. Eset products are famous for running lightly on a system. I never get malware.

I don't think you should be blaming W7 for your problems. I think it's because of third party software incompatibilities. Do you allow every software that you install to run in the background if it wants to. A whole lot of them like to do that because it makes them start up faster. I've seen up to 100 running processes on computers before. I always look in options on a new software and disallow it to start up with Windows.

I use Firefox religiously but it starts up slowly. There's a Firefox Preloader that makes it start up fast but I don't use it. I don't want extra garbage in my system. Also one software or another tries to install a toolbar in your browser when you install it. I've seen computers that had 2 or 3 toolbars in Internet explorer.

I have no connection problems and if there is a network glitch it's always caused by XP on my wife's laptop.

Windows 7 Is awesome.

Just for the record,,,,,,

I do video capturing (not with media center), editing and DVD creation
I do audio capturing, editing, and creation
I work with photos and other art

All are extremely overall system intensive processes that run for many hours.
I put my system through hell. If Windows was going to break,, trust me,, it would have.

I use Office 2007
Play many, many games

I also check out, test a lot of third party software... I do a lot with my system and have not had any stability problems.
Including tearing into the Registry, install/uninstall lots of software. I don't just use my system, I work with it.

Nor have I had any network disconnects.

So,, I am not saying that people aren't having problems,,, but straight up blaming windows is not the answer.
If it were in fact windows itself,,, it would not matter what hardware it is run on, and I would be having issues also, as would anyone trying to use windows.

That is also not to say that windows is flawless,, it's not,,, but you have to take into consideration,, all aspects,,, third party software, drivers, hardware, the user. There are many areas of fault and saying that Windows in general is not stable, is a false statement.

Unfortunately, I was informed by john3347 that this went a bit too personal and that he was attacked for displaying his displeasure for Windows 7. I an inclined to agree that we should not blame him for disliking the product. It may simply be not to his liking. There are many people who like the "classic start menu". They like Windows 2000 or Windows XP. They don't want to change. They scoff at new Microsoft products. This is not going to change. Then there's the bleeding edge crowd.

I am inclined to believe that Windows 7 > Windows XP > Windows Vista at this stage. Vista uses up and pools a large amount of RAM, has too many disk writes. It is a more feature filled OS than XP, but Windows 7 is clearly the victor in performance. Windows Vista 64-bit with SP2 was rock solidly stable on my systems and that same kernel is being used for Windows Server 2008. I believe Windows Server 2008 R2 to be using parts of the Windows 7 kernel, as the desktop clearly exhibits the same functionality as Windows 7 as opposed to Windows Vista, but I do not know this factually.

We must accept that some people will simply be dissatisfied with Windows 7 and move on with our lives.

Back