Windows 7 Limited Access Wireless? Cannot Connect to internet on only one machine!

... did the wireless adapter ever work on this computer? you said even the ethernet doesn't work on it. do you have an ethernet card? is it installed as part of your motherboard? have you tried to hook it up where you have a good connection? i'm assuming this computer is running windows 7

Last edited:
I would drop McAfee and stick with MSE.

I get McAfee for free with my provider too, but I found it had a really big performance hit on my computer.
Admittedly I haven't tried it for years but I still see posters talking about it on a regular basis.

Mike

Well, I decided to try them out, here's thier page: About McAfee System Protection | McAfee Products

I haven't seen any performance hindrances since installing the software, they have identity theft protection among alot of other very good features, they seem to have improved alot, I only run 2.5 gigs of memory and a 3ghz pentium 4, and it all works fast and well. I found the need to constantly manually update mse to keep it current, there would be frequent definition updates, but auto update wouldn't get them until a few piled up.

Last edited:
Hi Mike, I am having exactly same problem and I do see lot of exclamation marks in network adapters. How do I fix it? Thank you

Hi

Try the uninstalling the Network Adapter in Device Manger and see if it works after your computer reboots and reinstall it.

Mike

Well, I decided to try them out, here's thier page: About McAfee System Protection | McAfee Products

I haven't seen any performance hindrances since installing the software, they have identity theft protection among alot of other very good features, they seem to have improved alot, I only run 2.5 gigs of memory and a 3ghz pentium 4, and it all works fast and well. I found the need to constantly manually update mse to keep it current, there would be frequent definition updates, but auto update wouldn't get them until a few piled up.

well, after giving them a fair trial, I dumped McAfee, resource hogs. Back to MSE, but with Scotty from WinPatrol, cool freeware!

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the suggestions; We ran into this issue on a Windows 8 Surface Pro Tablet (or laptop as some prefer to call it as) . This is not a WIndowsRT and is a Windows 8 OS on this unit. We don't have AVG installed on it at all in the first place. Can you please help throw some light into what might I be looking for ? If you can share any info that you know as to what exactly is the difference between Limited and Non-Limited on a wireless-internet-adapter connection. I don't see this limited label at all in a Mac or Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance,

VC

@VCS , it must not necessarily be avg, just look for any recent program u added on ur pc and have them removed in your network adapter settings. That is all.

Richard! Thank you very much! Have the past three hours been going through various of windows forum, youtube clips and I was about to go mad - but then stumbled upon your advise and I just had to create an account to tell ur a star!!! Much appreciated!

Hi

I am having the exact same problem, but without avg. I am now at the verge of re installing windows. In my device managet, i see that the wifi miniport has an exclaimation mark on it. I have tried re installing the drivers but limited connectivity ovrr wi fi is still there. Need immediate help please.
I would like to know if there is any chance that re installation of windows would help resolve it?

Last edited:
just wanna thank richard for sharing the tip..after trying different ways of resolving the "limited access issue", awesome it worked..thumbs up...

Sometimes it connect but sometimes limited access , i don't have avg too , and in network adapter setting there is not another program have been installed

Hi

Just another comment but I've run into the You are connected but have limited access, on a number of occasions on my Comcast internet connection.

If resetting the router didn't fix it, (it usually did) then calling Comcast got it fixed quick, this isn't necessarily caused by something in your computer.

Sometimes it's a problem with your router or ISP.

Also note that when I say reinstalling your network adapter I'm not talking about reinstalling the drivers.
You need to uninstall the Network Adapter in Device Manager and rebooting and letting Windows reinstall it, and select the correct drivers for it.

Mike

After trying everything in this thread this simple trick did it! Watch the video and feel the freedom from the Limited Shite!

I'm surprised that uninstalling the connection in Device Manager and rebooting didn't fix it.
Essentially it's doing the same thing as the video but letting Windows pick the driver.

Windows is usually very good at that, it's the first thing that Windows does when you install it.

Even before is boots for the first time it detects your network adapter, installs the drivers and connects to the internet, so that it can download the latest updates even before it gets to the desktop.

Mike

Hey I uninstalled avg before the the very same problem started. Can you tell me from where to get to this avg network filter cuz I have tried everything and I knw avg is the problem but I dont know how to get to it now

Back
Top Bottom