Line-in audio won't play through speakers

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Jojk, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Jojk

Jojk Member

Jul 30, 2014
    I have an mp3 player plugged into my computer and I want the audio to pass right through to my speakers. This normally works fine. I don't want to have any other programs open on my computer as I am working on it at the same time. This is why I pass audio through.

This is a refurbished dell precision t5500 I just bought recently. Originally it worked just fine but the next day the audio did not pass through. Once a reboot fixed the problem but that only worked once.

Here is what I have tried:

I went to the "sound" dialog in device manager, then to the recording tab. The line-in device is enabled and it shows green bars that pulse with the music playing from my device. I opened properties for the line-in device and confirmed that the "listen" checkbox is checked, and that the levels are high.

Next I checked that I have the latest driver installed.

Then I used windows sound recorder to record audio from the MP3 player and that worked. So I can use sound recorder to record music and then play it back through the speakers but the audio will not pass through.

Finally I disabled and re-enabled the audio device from the device manager and rebooted. This changed nothing.

The current state
    I can record and play back audio from the line-in device but the audio will not play directly from the speaker. All audio levels are set correctly and everything is enabled.
  2. Pauli

Pauli Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

Mar 1, 2012
    If it has warranty, I suggest you use it. Plainly speaking, you can use the rest of your life with settings and drivers, not getting anywhere.

It could be a driver issue, but I suspect hardware.