Windows 7 "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Ninja93

Hello guys.
Yesterday i went to the pub with a few friends, and my internet has been working perfectly for around a month now, after i just got my pc setup. I came home last night and suddently i had no connection. It showed this down at the internet connection:

ymxow.png

I have tried to resolve the problem by disabling/enabling drivers, rebooting, system restore, trying other ethernet cables, restarting my router, trying to put the cable into another input at the router, i typed multiple commands into cmd to try to resolve it, which i found from google after searching for the title, NOTHING has worked so far :( i found something along this:

Check to see if you have the string below in your services list:

"##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##"

1) Click Start
2) Type Services in the search bar
3) Search for Bonjour DNS Responder Service
4) Double click on the service Bonjour DNS Responder Service
5) Select Stop in the window that opens

6) Click OK and close the Window

Since alot of people got the problem fixed by doing this, but i simply don't have that string in my service list, i really don't know what more i can do.

Information:

Description . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter Manufacturer . . . . . . . . . : VIA Technologies, Inc. Provider . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Version . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.9.0.12 Inf File Name . . . . . . . . . : C:\Windows\INF\netvfx86.inf Inf File Date . . . . . . . . . : 13. juli 2009 20:46:35 Section Name . . . . . . . . . : VT3065.ndi Hardware ID . . . . . . . . . . : pci\ven_1106&dev_3065 Instance Status Flags . . . . . : 0x180200a Device Manager Status Code . . : 0 IfType . . . . . . . . . . . . : 6 Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 14Also it is NOT wireless, i'm using a ethernet cable since i'm running on a normal PC and not a laptop. I really hope someone has a solution for me, and ask if you need other information :p

also:

A8ZER.png

I should maybe point out that all other computers who are connected to the router has working internet, so it might be something to do with my network card?

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Try opening IE (generally will not work with other browsers) and go here Microsoft Update Catalog
You'll see two drivers for windows 7 dated 8/6/2010 version 1.13.0.2 I believe the larger of the two 57.3MB is for the 32 bit version and the smaller 56.5MB is for the 64bit version of Windows 7 (which seems odd), give the appropriate one a try and see if you have any better luck.
Additionally you may want to try manually assigning static values for your IPv4 addressing scheme (appropriate for your network) and see if that helps.
You generally see these things when the NIC is unable to communicate reliably with a DHCP server and you end up with an APIPA address and no default gateway. Which can be a driver problem or a router firmware problem.
Regards
Randy

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Try opening IE (generally will not work with other browsers) and go here Microsoft Update Catalog
You'll see two drivers for windows 7 dated 8/6/2010 version 1.13.0.2 I believe the larger of the two 57.3MB is for the 32 bit version and the smaller 56.5MB is for the 64bit version of Windows 7 (which seems odd), give the appropriate one a try and see if you have any better luck.
Additionally you may want to try manually assigning static values for your IPv4 addressing scheme (appropriate for your network) and see if that helps.
You generally see these things when the NIC is unable to communicate reliably with a DHCP server and you end up with an APIPA address and no default gateway. Which can be a driver problem or a router firmware problem.
Regards
Randy

Thank you for the reply. i did go to the microsoft update catalog through IE, downloaded the pack you were talking about, but somehow i was downloading it, and it instantly downloaded? and the rar file is only 196KB. These files were in the rar archive, which i extracted:

GVagS.png

It seems kinda weird for a driver download? I then ran the only possible file to be honest, "netvfx86" which was a system catalog file, and it showed this:
jclTi.png

Do you want me to reboot after opening this? it doesn't seem to affect anything by opening this..? :)

Also could you maybe write a small tutorial on "manually assigning static values for your IPv4 addressing scheme" ? :) thanks!

edit: actually nevermind on the tutorial, i got it changed, but i wasn't able to find my default gateway in CMD or anywhere else? i could find my IPv4 adress, aswell as subnet mask.

The only connection i could find a default gateway on, is the iphone connection i have established right now.

Last edited:
You need to do the device manager, update driver thing.
Manually step through it, can't remember all the steps, but basically pick from a list, find on my computer, browse.
If you don't know exactly how to do that, post back and I will enumerate the steps for you. Or better yet, I'll get Kev to do it I think he has them saved in a text file he can just copy and paste.

I'll get Kev to do it I think he has them saved in a text file he can just copy and paste.
I have my uses!!

Driver Install - Manual Method

1. Download the driver and extract it to a folder.
  2. Open the Device Manager.
  3. Right click the device you wish to change the drivers for. You can select Properties > Driver > Driver Details to check you have the right device.
  4. Choose Update Driver Software.
  5. Select Browse My Computer For Driver Software.
  6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  7. Select Have disk...
  8. Select Browse..
  9. Navigate to the extracted folder and double click on the .inf file
  10. Hit OK, then Next and the driver(s) will then begin to install.
  11. After it has installed, GoTo C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. Locate the driver you've just updated, right click it and check the dates under its properties.

You need to do the device manager, update driver thing.
Manually step through it, can't remember all the steps, but basically pick from a list, find on my computer, browse.
If you don't know exactly how to do that, post back and I will enumerate the steps for you. Or better yet, I'll get Kev to do it I think he has them saved in a text file he can just copy and paste.

I just edited this into my post, but in case you didn't see it: actually nevermind on the tutorial, i got it changed, but i wasn't able to find my default gateway in CMD or anywhere else? i could find my IPv4 adress, aswell as subnet mask.

The only connection i could find a default gateway on, is the iphone connection i have established right now.

Also, i have browsed the drivers and it said it had successfully installed, guess it's time for a reboot then?

I have my uses!!

Driver Install - Manual Method

1. Download the driver and extract it to a folder.
  2. Open the Device Manager.
  3. Right click the device you wish to change the drivers for. You can select Properties > Driver > Driver Details to check you have the right device.
  4. Choose Update Driver Software.
  5. Select Browse My Computer For Driver Software.
  6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  7. Select Have disk...
  8. Select Browse..
  9. Navigate to the extracted folder and double click on the .inf file
  10. Hit OK, then Next and the driver(s) will then begin to install.
  11. After it has installed, GoTo C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. Locate the driver you've just updated, right click it and check the dates under its properties.

Thank you, i made it to 11. i went to drivers, to locate it, and i can't find the drivers i just installed in the list, as you see in this picture, i assigned it after "date modified", i want to include that it said driver succesfully installed and such:

QojIt.png

Please open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all > desktop\ipconfig.txt
and hit enter
That will create a text file on your text top. Attach it to your next post.
Thanks
Randy

Please open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all > desktop\ipconfig.txt
and hit enter
That will create a text file on your text top. Attach it to your next post.
Thanks
Randy

View attachment ipconfig.txt

Btw, the local area connection 2 is my iphone connection, as you can see at the name "apple mobile device ethernet" just so you know, and the local area connection is the one im having problems with.

Thanks!

OK.
A little confused regarding the adapter's IP. Looks like a publicly addressable internet IP.
Can we assume that you are not using a personal router and NAT? And that you are plugged directly into your ISP provided device?
Try disabling IPv6 in the properties of that NIC and see if that helps at all.

OK.
A little confused regarding the adapter's IP. Looks like a publicly addressable internet IP.
Can we assume that you are not using a personal router and NAT? And that you are plugged directly into your ISP provided device?
Try disabling IPv6 in the properties of that NIC and see if that helps at all.

Yes i'm connected to the device my ISP provided, which is a router (i think xD)
I already tried disabling it earlier, but it didn't help. i can try again though.

Hmmm.. this is very odd, when i try to access "network and sharing center" it just freezes completely, i can move my mouse, but the program just freezes? :S

also my iphone connection in the bottom right corner, shows the same icon as my "main" connection, which is that it has no network access, but the iphone network works.

Last edited:
Yes i'm connected to the device my ISP provided, which is a router (i think xD)
Well it maybe a router but is more likely just a digital device as it appears to be handing out a live IP rather than a private reserved IP. How many switch ports does it have?
Try this
Open Device Manager
Expand Network Adapters
Select then right click the problem adapter and choose properties
Select the advanced tab from the tab menu at the top
In the left column find "Network Address"
Switch the radio button from "Not Present" to the other and copy and paste the following into the "Value" text box.
00138FE3A792
OK your way back out of there and reboot.

Well it maybe a router but is more likely just a digital device as it appears to be handing out a live IP rather than a private reserved IP. How many switch ports does it have?
Try this
Open Device Manager
Expand Network Adapters
Select then right click the problem adapter and choose properties
Select the advanced tab from the tab menu at the top
In the left column find "Network Address"
Switch the radio button from "Not Present" to the other and copy and paste the following into the "Value" text box.
00138FE3A792
OK your way back out of there and reboot.

It has 2 ports for voice communication (telephone), and 4 ports for networks (television,internet)

Done as followed, will reboot now and post afterwards.

It has 2 ports for voice communication (telephone), and 4 ports for networks (television,internet)

Done as followed, will reboot now and post afterwards.
OK. Cool.
Can you send an ipconfig /all from another computer that is currently problem free that is using the same device on another switch port?

OK. Cool.
Can you send an ipconfig /all from another computer that is currently problem free that is using the same device on another switch port?

You mean send it from a computer, who is using the same network, and just put the cable i'm using on this pc into? because i know the internet is working with my laptop, with the same cable i'm using now. But sure, i'll send the IP-config

edit: nvm i misunderstood you, i know what you mean now. i'm booting another pc up who is using another cable and another switch port, will post result in 2min

Last edited:
R5eaS.png

Here you go :)

What i notice the difference is when comparing this to my own PC, is that on my own pc it doesnt show my ip-adress in the ipconfig, and it says that DHCP is not activated on mine. and it doesn't show the gateway number as i mentioned earlier?

Last edited:
OK, thanks.
Something bizarre is happening.
Your adapter is attempting to use 164.254.199.43 (subnet mask 255.255.0.0 class B) while
Your other example is using 87.72.222.166 (subnet mask 255.255.255.128)
If both are plugged into the same switch back plane or your ISP provided device, I can't explain that happening unless there is some elaborate provisioning taking place.
I notice the your Adapter says DHCP Enabled = No and
the other example shows DHCP Enabled = Ja (which I will assume means yes)
Can you set your adapter to obtain both IP and DNS information automatically and do another text file for your ipconfig /all

Back