Windows 7 "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

OK, thanks.
Something bizarre is happening.
Your adapter is attempting to use 164.254.199.43 (subnet mask 255.255.0.0 class B) while
Your other example is using 87.72.222.166 (subnet mask 255.255.255.128)
If both are plugged into the same switch back plane or your ISP provided device, I can't explain that happening unless there is some elaborate provisioning taking place.
I notice the your Adapter says DHCP Enabled = No and
the other example shows DHCP Enabled = Ja (which I will assume means yes)
Can you set your adapter to obtain both IP and DNS information automatically and do another text file for your ipconfig /all

It's funny because i checked on my ISP's website, because you have to register your IP and mac-adress because you're only allowed to use 2 pc's at the network. And it said that my IP-adress is 87.72.25.175. (which is close to the other pc's IP, which makes good sense)
as you wrote it's connecting to 164.254.199.43 which makes no sense? :S
View attachment ipconfig.txt

and yes i did set it to automatic before i did the ipconfig /all :)

i now tried to set my IP manually to 87.72.25.175, but that doesn't work neither. i'm guessing that it should show a default gateway, since it does that on ALL other working computers/connections ? :S

That text file now shows you getting a APIPA address and would indicate that you are not receiving DHCP from where ever you are suppose to be getting it (presumably from 87.72.222.131, which I suspect is the ISP device since it is also the Default Gateway on the other example you attached).
And it still appears that you have IPv6 enabled, which I thought I had already suggested that you disable (uncheck) and leave disabled for the time being.
Open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /release
and then
ipconfig /renew
see what happens.

That text file now shows you getting a APIPA address and would indicate that you are not receiving DHCP from where ever you are suppose to be getting it (presumably from 87.72.222.131, which I suspect is the ISP device since it is also the Default Gateway on the other example you attached).
And it still appears that you have IPv6 enabled, which I thought I had already suggested that you disable (uncheck) and leave disabled for the time being.
Open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /release
and then
ipconfig /renew
see what happens.

Right, sorry about that. i did disable it, but tried re-enabling it. i'll disable it now and keep it disabled.
I have done as you said and here are the results:

ipconfig/release:
4cMBT.png
ipconfig/renew:
Ymb32.png

A new problem in troubleshooting:
0EWi2.png

Btw if you have skype or teamviewer or something, maybe we could solve this a little faster, and you could perform what you think is needed quicker? :)

edit: added you on skype :)

Last edited:
Now it would appear that your renew has resolved at least to the proper scheme.
Delete the old ipconfig.txt from your desktop then
Do another ipconfig /all > desktop\ipconfig.txt
and attach the new one

oh and btw, i just tried the release and renew again, when i wasn't connected to my iphone, release said the same, but renew said this:
pDJQe.png

That is the error that I would expect you to have and is responsible for the APIPA IP that you are getting.
So.... Plan A; Go here VIA Drivers Download - VIA Technologies, Inc. select from the boxes and obtain the latest driver from the manufacturer. Install it and see if that provides any relief.
Plan B; contact the provider of your Modem/Router/Switch and see if they have a firmware update for the device or if they are familiar with the problem and can advise as to a configuration that may resolve it.
Plan C; Beg, borrow, steal, or as a last resort purchase a different adapter preferably not of the same manufacturer and see if the problem persists.
Keep us posted as to your progress.
Regards
Randy

That is the error that I would expect you to have and is responsible for the APIPA IP that you are getting.
So.... Plan A; Go here VIA Drivers Download - VIA Technologies, Inc. select from the boxes and obtain the latest driver from the manufacturer. Install it and see if that provides any relief.
Plan B; contact the provider of your Modem/Router/Switch and see if they have a firmware update for the device or if they are familiar with the problem and can advise as to a configuration that may resolve it.
Plan C; Beg, borrow, steal, or as a last resort purchase a different adapter preferably not of the same manufacturer and see if the problem persists.
Keep us posted as to your progress.
Regards
Randy

Plan A didn't make it work, Plan B i'm 100% sure will not work, as there is nothing wrong with the modem/router/switcher. Plan C i'll try when my dad comes home today, he got a few network cards, so we'll try some different ones. i'll post to let you know how it went.

Right. so Plan C worked - changing the network card! i have fully working internet with another adapter now.

Trouble/Randy, i want to say THANK YOU very much for trying your best to help me, you're a great guy, and this is a great forum. i hope you will continue using your knowledge to help even more members, i'm sure it will be greatly appreciated, thanks again!

You're more than welcome and thank you for posting back and updating your thread with what you did to resolve your issue.
Thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around the forum.
Best
Randy

Hi everyone!

I got the error message "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

After trying all sorts of weird and wonderful solutions, I found it it was just a broken Ethernet cable >__>

Check that first! Replaced the cable and everything is working fine! :)

Back
Top Bottom