Windows 7 Loop install of drivers and "preparing for first time use" screen

Karl Roche

The HDD in my laptop failed and i got a new one, I had to install Windows 7 again obviously and whenever i start the computer i'm greeted with "Windows is preparing for first time use" When it boots into windows 7 it then brings up a window that is only supposed to come up the first time you use the computer. It installs sound drivers and whatnot then the computer restarts. My computer is stuck in a loop of this, unless i quickly close the window before it hides the taskbar, There is no change when it restarts, i can install programs and do everything on the computer no problem, but i would like to know how to stop the first time install screens because it is an inconvenience

You might try doing a Startup Repair.

Also, can you boot into Safe Mode?

You might try doing a Startup Repair.

Also, can you boot into Safe Mode?

Thanks for your comment, I have fixed the majority of it by deleting the files that install when i boot the computer
The startup repair messed things up, I tried it and i had to completely reinstall windows
I booted into safe mode, but it acted weird, its how i deleted the files.

Windows registers your computer when you install it, and activate it. I'm not sure of what it registers, but probably the C disk and motherboard. With earlier versions it was impossible to replace the processor without re-installing Windows, but that was out with XP.

With a legitimate Windows, nothing is further than a phone call. My guess is you have = your system has some problems with the "final" activation.

Best of everything. :)

Windows registers your computer when you install it, and activate it. I'm not sure of what it registers, but probably the C disk and motherboard. With earlier versions it was impossible to replace the processor without re-installing Windows, but that was out with XP.

With a legitimate Windows, nothing is further than a phone call. My guess is you have = your system has some problems with the "final" activation.

Best of everything. :)

I hate calling them up, they are more useless than messing with the computer yourself.
What i managed to do is stop the install of drivers and the Restarting
I'm still greeted with "Preparing system for first use" when booting up, and a window pops up wanting me to start the Out of box experience, which i have clicked yes to before, and it started the driver thing again
Yeah at the moment the computer is perfect except the Boot screen and a window asking me to start the OBEE

Thank you anyway sir for your information

Quite clearly, you have a problem --- now, that was a smart comment? :cool:

The thing is, I believe your old HDD is registered as "user" and "owner of activation" and you will NEVER be able to move it to the new HDD... Windows 7 is quite a paranoid system, and in its efforts to protect the system from hackers and torrents and such, Microsoft went a bit far, resulting in issues with installing new software --- "You do not have the administrative rights" etc. Blaah blaah.

My opinion is, that after some three or six months your OS will stop working. Totally. You must have the rights transferred to your new HDD. The fact that your Windows works right now is only an expression of their "patience during a transition period".

It can't be that difficult? A phone call? Eh? "For Heaven's Sake"?

Quite clearly, you have a problem --- now, that was a smart comment? :cool:

The thing is, I believe your old HDD is registered as "user" and "owner of activation" and you will NEVER be able to move it to the new HDD... Windows 7 is quite a paranoid system, and in its efforts to protect the system from hackers and torrents and such, Microsoft went a bit far, resulting in issues with installing new software --- "You do not have the administrative rights" etc. Blaah blaah.

My opinion is, that after some three or six months your OS will stop working. Totally. You must have the rights transferred to your new HDD. The fact that your Windows works right now is only an expression of their "patience during a transition period".

It can't be that difficult? A phone call? Eh? "For Heaven's Sake"?

I just don't like calling, More effort and money than its worth
And well the reason i got a new HDD is because the other had the same restarting problem, and i thought that was because the disk drive was "failing" or so the computer was telling me. I think its a more a problem with the disc and the install

You have any warranty? And a full Windows? We just had a case where it became apparent that there are test versions of Windows, with a limited license.

Hello Karl,
NJKHzvHa61pkWUe9HgBy.gif
to Windows 7 Forums,

Well Its a Toshiba Satillite Laptop and i got the disc with it so i would say its a full disc
It's most likely a recovery disc to restore to factory settings.

Thought I might make a couple suggestions;

1. Download and burn to disc, The Ultimate Boot CD (http://windows7forums.com/tweaks-guides-howto/83808-ultimate-boot-cd.html) use 1 of the freeware tools to wipe and zero out the new drive, then re-install Windows 7 and see if the problem persists, if it does, then I would say your disc is bad.

2. Go here; How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs, and replace product manuals, use the appropriate link for your region and request replacement discs for your edition of Windows 7, should only cost about 10-15 bucks. You will need to provide a legitimate Product Key (Activation) during the ordering process. Should get it in about 3 days. You will also receive 2 discs, 1-32bit & 1-64bit for 1 machine.

Hope this helps and keep us posted
Don

Back