Windows XP Microsoft Update tried to shove IE8 down my throat this morning..I'm pissed!

catilley1092

Extraordinary Member
While my years of using Windows products overall has been very positive for the 12 years that I've been a MS customer, sometimes they try to break one off in me.

Whenever I install XP, I always hide IE8 as an update, due to a bad experience I had when IE8 was released. I didn't even want IE8, Microsoft contacted me by email asking me if I wanted to help to "improve" IE. I had no reason to think bad of the issue, so I agreed. Within a few hours, as I recall, Windows Update delivered IE8 to me.

What a horror! IE7 had been running happily, with no problems, IE8 was all problems from the go. Pages loaded slowly, didn't render correctly (the yellow exclamation mark in the lower left corner), it was total crap. Then, when I attempted to remove IE8, even though it had only been installed 1 day, it showed a long list of items that may no longer work properly, if I removed IE8. Scare tactics, but it worked.

I ended up a couple of months later installing Firefox 3.5RC, which was a major release at that time (late spring/early summer 2009). My browsing was faster than ever, running a RC, not even a RTM version. That marked the end of IE for me, even though last year I tried IE9, the bridge was burned. MS themselves contributed to my lack of confidence of IE.

Since then, a few months ago, I switched to Google Chrome, which was faster than Firefox. Not because I didn't like Firefox, but their release cycles were so fast, my addons didn't always work at first. I only have a few essentials, & I expect them to work. Note that I still use FF on Win 2K, as Google seems to have boycotted the OS.

Now the issue at hand. I have already stated that I "hid" IE8 from the update list, whenever I do a new install of XP. Sometimes, I just leave it as IE6, as I only use it for Windows/Microsoft Update.

But this morning, the unexpected happened. When I installed my "important" updates, IE8 was in there, and I didn't see it. Until it was asking me about my default search settings, etc. MS pulled a fast one on me, they should have marked it as an optional update, or better yet, not showed it to me at all, being that I "hid" it upon install. After another "scare tactic", out of all things, I hadn't even used the browser, and never did, it still tried to convince me that a few programs wouldn't work. I'd already been through that in 2009, I called their bluff that time, my programs are fine.

The second time, on XP Pro 64 bit, I caught it. So it wasn't a coincidence. MS plain out screwing their customers, once again. I've got 6 regular installs of various versions of XP, plus at least another 6 virtual installs. One has to go through every single update to make sure that what has been hid, to make sure it doesn't show up again.

So far, I've only attempted to update 3 of my XP installs, all 3 showed IE8 as an "important" update. At least 9 to go. Watch out in your list of important updates, you'll have to "hide" IE8 again, if you don't want it.

Cat

While I understand the issue (and quite frankly had similar experiences using IE 8 when it was originally released myself), I use it on my XP system now with no issues. I believe a large part of the problems was IE 8 conforming to web standards which weren't yet adopted by most sites - yeah, remember that stupid compatibility button? Either way, it's a much more usable product to this day than it was back then. Considering all the security risks which will remain forever unpatched by MS in IE 7, why not give it another go?

Since then, a few months ago, I switched to Google Chrome, which was faster than Firefox. Not because I didn't like Firefox, but their release cycles were so fast, my addons didn't always work at first. I only have a few essentials, & I expect them to work. Note that I still use FF on Win 2K, as Google seems to have boycotted the OS.

I find Firefox's resource usage is so through the roof that it doesn't pull it's weight in performance as a comparison, I stopped using Firefox at version 3, liked the interface of version 4 but still never returned to the product. I only wonder why Google has "boycotted" Windows 2000? ;) It's 12 years old, supporting it would be ridicule. I much agree with your points on Google Chrome though. My only complaint with Chrome is that once you've got two or three addons, resource usage shoots through the roof, but performance and launch times seen generally unaffected.

I only use the addons/extensions that I need. With Chrome, Adblock Plus, Mini Maps & the Panic Button (never know who may walk into the room). I did have a couple of others, mainly shopping comparison extensions, and the Print extension. Those 3 went, because they did make Chrome use quite a bit of resources.

I was continually logged onto Chrome across all of my OS's, while it may be OK for some, it creates multiple duplicates of bookmarks (over 20 for this forum alone) if there are several OS's to sync. Firefox Sync wasn't perfect, but it never created a mess like this. I've found it best to bookmark the site & let it be that. Plus, it's a potential security leak, being signed into a browser 24/7, 365 days a year.

When Windows 8 Consumer Preview comes out, I'm going to check out IE10 a bit. Many users have said that IE9 is plenty secure. One thing for sure, it's certainly a lot faster than IE8 (on Windows 7).

I did allow IE8 to be installed on a couple of my XP installs, to see how it would run. OK so far, but I don't want it as my default browser. It was just that Windows Update requires IE on XP & below, by now IE8 is more supported, and probably more secure than IE7.

Cat

Finally, after a cooling down period, I gave in. IE7 is not the secure browser that it once was, and IE8 runs better on XP than it did in the spring of 2009. Being that XP relies on IE for updating, I felt it was the wise thing to do to upgrade.

Note that for the very first time, even XP Mode offers IE8. Ever since it's release, it always ran IE6 (I installed IE7 manually on mine). It probably won't be long before IE7 will be required to use Windows Update. This deal was also pulled with Windows 2000, IE 5 no longer works with Windows Update, but it's easy to upgrade the browser to work. The unofficial SP5 for Windows 2000 installs IE6 on that OS.

As I get to them all, they'll all be upgraded to IE8.

Cat

I stopped using it in 2009, although I do still have it on one my (rarely used) desktops, which I should also get rid of as it runs 256 MB of RAM with a 1 GHZ celeron processor. For applications that only support XP that I still need, XP Mode works fine every time for me.

I still like XP for it's Media Center Edition, & use XP Mode to tryout new software on.

It's still got a little over 25 months of support, and if kept updated & secured, combined with safe computing practices, it'll be around for another 3 to 4 years, easily. The percentage is very low, but there are still a few Windows 2000 users around. While the numbers suggests a low percentage (less than 1%), that can still amount to hundreds of thousands of users in the US alone. Also, at one software dealer who still stocks & sells Windows software, full versions of XP Pro (not OEM or upgrade) goes for as much as Windows 7 Pro. Windows 2000 isn't as much, but it's still not a giveaway.

I tried to find the source (of the prices), but can't seem to come up with it here. Thousands of bookmarks to go through.

Cat

I know, I just happen to like that version of XP. It's actually a modified version of Pro, with more eye candy. The look is entirely different, when a program is being installed (or updates), the progress box looks far more modern than the others. Plus, that home screen, it's the most realistic screen that XP ever produced. Those rainbows look real.

Those were expensive computers in their prime that shipped with that OS, and the numbers were limited. I have it because I was a TechNet member. If I like Windows 8, I may buy the Desktop subscription, it costs less than the Pro version that I had. With a discount coupon, it can be had for under $200. Windows 8 Pro alone will cost more than that, plus you get 2 keys of all supported OS's, Office Suites (some of them are no longer supported). If one has 2 or more computers at home, it's a killer deal.

2 of the latest version of Windows along with 2 of the latest Office packages for $200? Legally, it can't be beat. You just have to read & interpret the fine print. Mainly, is that on the computers it's installed on, you are supposed to have a backup of it (what came on it), or have reinstall media. And you cannot share your keys or install disks. They have to be activated (& updated) from the IP address that's on file when you signed up. That's the bottom line.

And although the subscription is only good for 1 year, the keys are good for life. I can still logon & print my keys, I just can't download anything as an inactive member.

Cat

Yes, IE8 does use more RAM than IE7 or 6. In 2009, as I stated in my OP, IE8 didn't run good at all on XP. MS has refined the OS to work better with XP.

Plus, and this is only my opinion, IE8 was designed for the upcoming Windows 7, as it was already in the Beta stage, and Vista needed a better browser also. It probably took some extra work to make it run like it does on XP today. I know, because it ran like crap in 2009. RAM usage isn't really a concern, I don't have that many programs on XP anyway.

Cat

Same thing, reworded, perhaps?

Horrible browser, it may be, OPTIONALLY required 1% of the time. So drop the dinosaur OS, or deal with the 1%, or stop chasing every-single-update. I'm trying to be plain-speaking here, without appearing rude. Some people really just need to get outside, or see what real problems are.

The world won't end due to IE, ya know.

Back