Windows 7 My folders open out of the screen

lmjai

My folders open out of the desktop, when i try to minimize and maximize them it seems they go past the right side of the screen and I dont know how to move them back.

==> It was the multi-display problem

Ok, try this.

In the Screen Resolution control panel click on your monitor.
In the Multiple displays window select: Show desktop only on (1 or 2, whichever is the right one).
Click Apply then Ok.

I don't know if it will want a restart or not but just do what is required. Maybe that will fix it.

Edit: The first step I mentioned might not be required. You'll just need to take note of which one is the right one.

Thanks everyone for assistance.

Last edited:
What is your screen resolution, is it a standard 4:3 or 16:9? Does it happen only after you change the screen resolution ?

( It's not an unusual behavior if you lower your screen size and get some windows stretching out of screen, simply resize them and they will fit, Maxed window stretched out of screen > Resize it > Maximize it > It'll fit )

my resolution is 1024x768, this started happening after i tabbed from my w3 (640x480) and i cant resize or maximize the folders because i cant even see them, i also tried maxing the resolution 1280x(not remember) but still the folders dissapear to the right.

Is there a shortcout to maximize the folders? (like alt+something)

Do you have a second monitor? In your Screen Resolution control panel does it show a second screen? It sounds like your folders are opening in a second monitor.

options show there are 2 displays but i only have 1 "syncmaster" the other one is "display device on:composite", my gpu is nvidia geforce 5200 fx latest drivers

options show there are 2 displays but i only have 1 "syncmaster" the other one is "display device on:composite", my gpu is nvidia geforce 5200 fx latest drivers
Ok, try this.

In the Screen Resolution control panel click on your monitor.
In the Multiple displays window select: Show desktop only on (1 or 2, whichever is the right one).
Click Apply then Ok.

I don't know if it will want a restart or not but just do what is required. Maybe that will fix it.

Edit: The first step I mentioned might not be required. You'll just need to take note of which one is the right one.

Last edited:
I recall this from years ago.

Move an resize the windows in the spot you'd like it by dragging the sides, top, and bottom with the mouse, then choose Fille > Exit, DO NOT close it with the red X

It shoukd now keeps that posistion when restarted.

F11 will maximize windows, but the extra display is more that likely your problem. Is this a laptop, do you have it set to expand to an external display. Maybe tapping the where to display buttom might help. Maybe just going to screen resolution and using the drop down box to only show one monitor or duplicate monitor.

I looked in Keyboard shortcuts for moving a window, but cannot see one.

This is normal :

my resolution is 1024x768, this started happening after i tabbed from my w3 (640x480) and i cant resize or maximize the folders because i cant even see them, i also tried maxing the resolution 1280x(not remember) but still the folders dissapear to the right.

Is there a shortcout to maximize the folders? (like alt+something)

WIN key + Up key - maximizes your active window
WIN key + Down key - restores the window's size

Also try Wn+Left/Right

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Win + keyboard arrow keys is a new remarkable feature of Windows 7.

Back