Need help deciding on 2 components for new pc build

I just installed the Windows 10 Anniversary update through a post here on the forums. Now, I'm just getting used to the changes in it. For instance if you want to shutdown or restart your pc, you now have to right-click on the start menu to get to it now. Also, you'll probably have to reinstall your video card drivers. I had to in order to get SLI working again.

Hi brkkab, if you bring up your menu you will see the power icon over on the left of the menu. It is not in the main menu anymore. You also have the icon for setting there too or you can right click like you said to do it.

Thanks Sonny, I just saw it. It's in the menu, if you right-click on the Start Menu's icon, too.

I double-checked and all my Group Policy tweaks remained intact. I had to redo my registry tweaks though.

I'm gonna be doing a clean install of Windows 10 Anniversary next Saturday. I'm just waiting for Microsoft to make it so their Media Creation Tool can get the Anniversary Update iso. Rufus freezes up at 95% making a bootable flash drive with the Anniversary Update iso I downloaded. I had to right-click on the iso and mount it to install it yesterday.
I lost 2 features that I had, so I need to do a clean install to get them back.
I lost the Windows Games and Windows Media Center, I had installed and working in Windows 10.
Plus, I'm upgrading Cyberlink Media Suite 12 Ultra to Cyberlink Media Suite 14 Ultra on Wednesday.
I'd rather do a clean install of that, too.

The rufus freezing up is weird. I used the latest version and tested with all the images Mike shared and it works fine. Bad download possibly?

I'm pretty sure I ruled that out. I redownloaded the current version of Rufus and got the same exact result. I heard Microsoft will be posting the Windows 10 Anniversary Update iso's on Tuesday, too.
I'll just let the Microsoft Media Creation Tool download it and make my flash drive in the process.
From what I've noticed in the Anniversary Update, I don't see how it's going to be good if you have touch or a smartphone.Those icons on the left of the Start Menu are too small for my small fingers.

I finally got Rufus to work. I did a clean install of Windows 10 Anniversary on Monday.
I upgraded my Cyberlink Media Suite 14 Ultra this morning.
There are some things I found that no longer work in the Anniversary update. The old Windows Games (FreeCell, MineSweeper, Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, etc. won't run.
3D Pinball and the Microsoft Internet Games will run.
I got Windows Media Center installed & working (minus tv stuff). I didn't install my tv tuner, as I know tv no longer works in WMC.
Now, I have to renew my Carbonite, go to the bank and take Sebastian to get his leg x-ray at the veterninarians office.

I did a clean install of a Windows 10 Pro iso I made with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool. My download of the iso from the post here on the forum turned out to be buggy.
Now my pc is working great after the clean install. Now I just need to add my about:config tweaks to Firefox and let Cyberlink MediaShow 6 scan and add my pictures/videos to it, then I'm done.

I just sped up my ssd's and hard drive with Asus RAMCache and RAMDisk. Capture is my Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2 ssd, capture 1 is my Intel SSD and capture 2 is my hard drive.
Huge improvement on all 3.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    260 KB · Views: 507
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    141.3 KB · Views: 535
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    186.3 KB · Views: 525
kemical: Did you check out my ssd speeds after using RAMCache & RAMDrive ? Both my slow Intel ssd and my Samsung are getting 11,*** reads. The Samsung is getting 11,*** writes and the Intel's getting 511 writes.
The Anniversary update repeatedly says Samsung Magician is unsigned @startup. I've got the current version. It must be another Anniversary Update bug..

WillyBo: Thanks. I may have to check & see if Samsung sell a 850 EVO 500GB PCIe version. If they do, I may get one to RAID it with my 850 EVO 500GB M.2.
That would be early next year, though.

Back