Need help deciding on 2 components for new pc build

I just woke up a little while ago. Boy am I feeling my left hand and arm after yesterday's fall on it. Especially on the left thumb that locks up.I may have to go get xrays on everything tomorrow.
I don't think anything is broke as I can move my wrist, hand and fingers, but something is definitely wrong.
I'm still doing the crap with Seagate's support, too. It's kind of a joke, so far.

I found out that MSI Afterburner doesn't currently work with any of the AMD RX 480 video cards.
From a video I watched on the PowerColor Red Devil RX 480, Sapphire's TRiXX works with it for further overclocking, so you should be able to use it for the above video for all AMD RX 480's.
Here's a link to the video on the PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 showing thw results using Sapphire's TRiXX on it.

I found out that MSI Afterburner doesn't currently work with any of the AMD RX 480 video cards.
From a video I watched on the PowerColor Red Devil RX 480, Sapphire's TRiXX works with it for further overclocking, so you should be able to use it for the above video for all AMD RX 480's.
Here's a link to the video on the PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 showing thw results using Sapphire's TRiXX on it.

Afterburner and my 390x's is a nightmare. I daren't overclock with it. When I do I get a black screen at boot.

I technically never messed with Afterburner. My 2 GTX 760's are MSI video cards. When I was using Windows 8.1 I used MSI's Gaming App to overclock my cards more during gaming. I had to have Afterburner installed, but the Gaming App messed with it.
Watch the PowerColor video I posted. Then go to PowerColors website and download the TRiXX version that works with the Red Devil RX 480. It should work with your video card.

Ordered my new hard drive this morning from Newegg. I went with a Western Digital Black 2TB this time around. Atleast the Western Digital Black's have a 5 year warranty, unlike Seagate's sucky 2 year warranty.
Down the road I'll get a Western Digital Black 5TB. That won't probably be until spring or summer of next year.
When I get that one, I'll put all my personal stuff on it and hook the 2TB one to one of my sata express ports.

I found out that MSI Afterburner doesn't currently work with any of the AMD RX 480 video cards
To be honest MSI's Afterburner is well known in debugging circles for causing blue screens.

To be honest MSI's Afterburner is well known in debugging circles for causing blue screens.

Can't boot to the desktop with it here. A pity as it the utility of choice for my card. Using AMDs overdrive for it works though.

I just got the Humble Bundle for Company of Heroes.
My WD Black 2.0TB hard drive is supposed to arrive Friday. I don't think so, though as that hurricane is headed directly 1 1/2-2 miles from where I live.
I'm hoping the news is wrong, like it was for the last 2 hurricanes in my area. They actually both went on the other side of Florida where they were evacuating everyone to.
This time I'm staying put.
I can't take Sebastian with me to the collede in my town where people can go for hurricanes, so I'm taking my chances, as various hotels won't allow big dogs either.
I'm not leaving him by himself. Not my style or how I was brought up..

Last edited:
I made it out ok. Only damage was a few broken tree branches in back yard. That and no power from Friday until about 1 hour ago. My new hard drive arrived on Saturday, so I'll be putting it in sometime tomorrow morning.
I spent about five hours Thursday copying all my files off the bad hard drive to a external hard drive.I should be good to go.
I slept through the hurricane, as my blood sugar went out in my sleep.
I woke up after my insulin pump's battery died Saturday around 12:30 A.M. and the rescue squad got it back up.It was 39 when they checked it.Now we have power back, so I can use my kitchen again.

Glad to hear your safe Keith and that the power is back on. Is there a lot of detritus outside?
Maybe the other members of the house will help clear it up?

The no power part was the worst part definitely. I got a scare about twenty minutes ago. The power cut out for about ten minutes, while F.P.L. was working on it.
Definitely a nice scare.
I'm glad the power and my pc's hard drive are both working now.
The old hard drive was disappearing non-stop at various times. It never made any clicking noises in over 2 years. It did fail the test in Sea Tools.
No more Seagate drives for me. I've had 2 and both have failed.
Western Digital still has a 5 year warranty. Seagate's in only 2 year's.

Still had more power issues early this morning. The electric went out from around 12:20 A.M. until 5:45 A.M. this morning. Then a few hours later a few power surges followed.
That refreshes my parts list to get after the video card, a new u.p.s. I forgot all about my old one going bad. Time to start comparing the newer ones now.

kemical: I got a quick question for you. I uninstalled Macrium Reflect free and EasUS ToDoBackup free as WD gives you the WD version of Acronis.
I ran the initial full pc backup with it.
The next backup I go to do with it, will it automatically do just a incremental backup or will it do another full pc backup that takes forever ?

Back