Windows 8 Network Cable Unplugged Error.Help needed

Safi Ullah

I have installed windows 8 and i am unable to use internet my ethernet connection says Network cable unplugged.I took off the network cable from desktop and put it into the laptop and it started working and when i connected it to desktop it gives the same error.How to resolve it.
untitled.png

I've got the SAME problem.

More info :

On boot, the NIC, RealTek PCIe GBE Family Controller, indicated the network cable is disconnected. It is connected. If I disable the NIC and ENABLE it, it connects fine.

I had just upgraded from W7 and before I did not have a problem. Went to the RealTek site and discovered they have a W8 specific driver. I got it (8.7.1025.2012), installed it, but it didn't fix the problem.

Suggestions? Almost sounds like a loading sequence problem? I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, doesn't help? I have found on Re-boots most of the time it connects fine, but is solid on cold boots, that is after a machine power-off.

Irv S.

You are running a Dell, so not sure, but the ASUS systems that use an 82579 network adapter, there is a problem with it showing as a 82579LM in Windows 8 when it needs to be a 82579V. You may be in the same situation with your 82567 adapter.

Mine in Intel and yours seems to be Realtek, but I will see if I can find anything.

Which Dell XPS model do you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are running a Dell, so not sure, but the ASUS systems that use an 82579 network adapter, there is a problem with it showing as a 82579LM in Windows 8 when it needs to be a 82579V. You may be in the same situation with your 82567 adapter.

Mine in Intel and yours seems to be Realtek, but I will see if I can find anything.

Which Dell XPS model do you have?

This is an XPS 435T, about 3 1/2 years old, 8GB's, i920 CPU and it is working OK and was under W7.

The RealTek is on the Motherboard. I can't tell the EXACT model either? Device Manager doesn't tell me a lot?

This is what the H/W ID's show as :

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_02B71028&REV_02
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_02B71028
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&CC_0200

I've been playing with the ADVANCED setting for SPEED AND DUPLEX... default is AUTO NEGOTIATE, but I've seen forum appends that say use the 1GB setting and force that way and it works better. It seems to but it doesn't work every time? I've seen others that say set it to 100Mbps, but that isn't the speed I want, so I've not tried it.

Funny thing is that my Motherboard was to be replaced, but the part sent had a BIOS problem. Booting it once in did force an install of a new NIC driver, Broadcom I think, as the NIC was different on that boards on-board NIC. New board was returned and the reason for getting the new one was a battery problem I had, Dell can't ship JUST the battery but had to send a NEW BOARD (I kid you not!). So we just swapped batteries and solved THAT problem.

Irv S.

I can't seem to find a 435T, but the 430 does not show what type of adapter. The Dell Support site has that info in you have your Service Tag.

I checked the Realtek site and show the link I found. This may be the one you already have, but there should be instructions on a manual install. Make sure and note the comments about 8168b vs. 8168C. Hopefully this will be relevant.

Realtek

I can't seem to find a 435T, but the 430 does not show what type of adapter. The Dell Support site has that info in you have your Service Tag.

I checked the Realtek site and show the link I found. This may be the one you already have, but there should be instructions on a manual install. Make sure and note the comments about 8168b vs. 8168C. Hopefully this will be relevant.

Realtek

No, the 435T is old as I said, and it is an XPS Studio One 435T which is the full name, which was replaced by the XPS 9000, and now by the XPS 8500 I think.

From your link, which is the same one I got the driver from, "Win8 Auto Installation Program (SID:1546352)", I did look at the data provided and I do have the correct files installed, let Windows find the folder I unpacked too and it did install them.

I'm tending to believe people who've posted the problem is with the RealTek itself. I may call Dell (I'm still under Warranty) or just go out and buy a new PCIe card. We've got a Dell XPS 8500 here, but it has the same chipset on the motherboard, no PCIe card...

Irv S.

Well, it seems I 'fixed' it.

On the RealTek site I had gotten the 8.7.1025.2012 driver before and it wasn't working well. For my XPS model, Dell has NOTHING for W8. Since my wife's XPS 8500 is basically a later model of the same XPS 435T I have (she uses wireless so I didn't know if her on-board RealTek works or not) and Dell does support W8 on it, I checked what they had for RealTek. They had an older driver, 8.2.612.2012, so I installed it. At first, same problems. But I changed the speed and duplex advanced setting to 1GB Full and since then it has been working fine. Connects immediately. I'm good.

Irv S.

Back
Top Bottom