Windows 7 network discovery problems

maeve1941

Hi I have win7 (upgraded from Vista) on Acer T690 and have recently got a wireless Netgear router/modem. I have a notebook (XP) that I would like to connect to the net. I have had success FINALLY with that.
Problem is when I select network discovery in homegroup it won't turn on. When I check again it is turned off. Same with media streaming. Is there a box I should check somewhere? When I try to get help I am told to select network discovery but it's useless as it won't change. VERY FRUSTRATING!:(

Home group only works on windows 7 computers. You need to go into network and sharing center/use user accounts and passwords to connect. Then on Windows 7 pc go into System/advnced computer settings/computer name. Add the network name you are using on your XP machine.
Joe

As Joe S has already pointed out, you can't use home groups with down level clients like XP.
As far as the other issue, open the services console by typing services.msc into the search box and hit enter.
Check the following:
Function discovery Should be set to Automatic and Started
Network Store Interface Service Should be set to Automatic and Started
Network Location Awareness Should be set to Automatic and Started
Network List Service should be started a manual setting here is ok, it should start when needed
Network Connections should be started a manual setting here is ok, it should start when needed
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Should be set to Automatic and Started
DHCP Client Should be set to Automatic and Started
DNS Client Should be set to Automatic and Started
If you have any issues starting these services (dependency service failed to start) use the dependency tab near the top to determine which other services need to be started first.
Failing all the above, you may be having a problem with a corrupt TCP/IP Stack
Right click on command prompt and choose run as administrator and then type
netsh winsock reset
Keep us posted

Hi, Thanks you both for your help. I have printed out instructions and will try the suggested fix. I am very new to all of this! Thanks again. :razz:

Hi tried the solution but still no network discovery or video streaming. Searched and have fixed problem by doing the following as well as above.

• [FONT=&quot]DNS Client service started and on automatic[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]SSDP Discovery service started and on automatic[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]UPnP Device Host service started and on automatic[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Function Discovery Resource Publication service started and on automatic[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I also confirmed that IP version 6 was enabled.

[/FONT]
I only had to start TCP/IP netBIOS all others were OK.
Thanks all is well now with both.

Good to hear that you were able to resolve your issue. Thanks for posting back with the update and letting us know how you solved it.
Thanks
Randy

Back