Windows 8 New 8.1 user here, few quick questions?

Andrew G

So I think most of these are yes/no or simple settings, so I just compiled them here...

Is there a way to link programs on a secondary HDD to the Start/Apps menu?

Is there a way to view secondary HDD programs in the Control Panel? Namely when uninstalling programs?

And ever since I upgraded from 7, my monitor completely shuts off if I shut down/sleep/hibernate the PC. I'd rather have it like Win7 so I could just tap the mouse or hit a key. Any way to change that back?

I think that's it, any help appreciated!

Is there a way to link programs on a secondary HDD to the Start/Apps menu?
Yes.
Is there a way to view secondary HDD programs in the Control Panel? Namely when uninstalling programs?

Only programs that are installed (i.e. logged in the registry) can be un-installed from the control panel… it makes no difference whether they are on a system or secondary hard drive.

And ever since I upgraded from 7, my monitor completely shuts off if I shut down/sleep/hibernate the PC. I'd rather have it like Win7 so I could just tap the mouse or hit a key. Any way to change that back?

The wake up setting can be adjusted from windows if they are allowed to be adjusted but some motherboards have different settings and windows (all types) default to the motherboard… so for example my Asus sonicmaster laptop has windows set to NOT sleep when I shut the lid but the motherboard setting overrides the windows and turns off the touch screen when the lid shuts… nothing short of a bios flash can change this and I wouldn't do it even if Asus does patch the bios so sometimes you just have to live with it.

Ah I hope not. With the angle my desk is at it's much easier to just tap a key than have to walk around and hit the monitor button. Not the end of the world, but ya know. It seems like such a simple feature, I can't find it anywhere in the settings. I just don't understand why I would be able to do it in 7 and not 8. I'll definitely keep that in mind though!

Is there a way to link programs on a secondary HDD to the Start/Apps menu?...
If those programs need to be installed and haven't been, then no. If the programs are standalone programs that don't need to be installed then you can simply right-click on their .exe file and select "Pin to Start".

If those programs need to be installed and haven't been, then no. If the programs are standalone programs that don't need to be installed then you can simply right-click on their .exe file and select "Pin to Start".

Duh! So simple, can't believe I missed that. I was looking for a general setting to show other programs in the Apps section, and not just doing it individually. Will take a bit longer but it works, thanks!

1. Have you tried telling windows not to turn off the monitor when going to sleep | hibernating?

2. Press [windows key] + [x] then press [o].

3. Select "change plan setting" next to the active plan.

4. Then select "change advanced power setting" … display has a power cord or battery option but it's well documented.

display.png

p.s. as a rule of thumb, small gradual changes over weeks are better than making drastic rewrites only to find you can't remember | fix what you did late last night.

1. I actually have had it for about 2 weeks now and have been experimenting a lot. I figured out a good bit, and I did look through those settings, but I'm on a PC so there is no battery/plugged in option. Everything is set on sleep like it was on 7. What I did try is changing the "Turn Display Off" setting under Display from 15 min to Never. I assumed it wouldn't apply if the PC is already in Sleep, but I dunno, we'll see how that turns out next time.

2. What I didn't know is that you could hit Windows+X to bring up the menu I was only right clicking. Where can I find a list of the shortcuts that go to each one??

How about when uninstalling programs? Anyway to show secondary programs in that list? Mine only shows what's installed on C.

This is a pretty good list of shortcuts:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/hyperyash/archive/2012/08/28/windows-8-shortcuts.aspx

I am not too much of a user of shortcuts, and prefer the more traditional mouse click. You can, indeed customise the right click icon menu (Windows +x). Easiest way is with a third party hack program.

This is mine, arranged alpabetically. I have included one third party program, (Belarq), as an example, but there is no limit. You could even build up a start menu by the same means.

Power.png

What is you need to know regarding "uninstalling?

Last edited:
Andrew,

A couple things from the Tutorials section for you:
There is some good stuff in that section, btw.

Here are Keyboard Shortcuts for you...
http://windowsforum.com/threads/nav-tips-keyboard-shortcuts-for-win8.97516/

http://windowsforum.com/threads/creating-applications-window.110041/
The1st item in the thread is how to have a Programs Toolbar. Followed by how to have an (All) applications window on the Taskbar

Also, you might find it nice using the Desktop Toolbar - Rt Clk Taskbar & enable Desktop Toolbar.

Yes, one can Rt Clk on anything, even, from secondary HDD & Pin to Start. Personally, I rely 100% on Desktop and access everything from there using the above methodology.

Cheers,
Drew
thR0V6M5GG2.jpg

Another short cut I personally like to use is [windows key] + [1-0]… opens whatever program is placed on the task bar at that location. For example see screenshot of my windows 8 laptop… [windows key] + [3] will open textaloud because I have it in the third slot and [windows key] + [1] would open my firefox.

Screenshot (11).png

This is a pretty good list of shortcuts:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/hyperyash/archive/2012/08/28/windows-8-shortcuts.aspx

I am not too much of a user of shortcuts, and prefer the more traditional mouse click. You can, indeed customise the right click icon menu (Windows +x). Easiest way is with a third party hack program.

This is mine, arranged alpabetically. I have included one third party program, (Belarq), as an example, but there is no limit. You could even build up a start menu by the same means.

View attachment 28115
What is you need to know regarding "uninstalling?

Perfect, thanks for that. Though now that I know of all these other tricks I don't think I'll even need a third party program, plenty of shortcuts already!

I don't have a question regarding uninstalling. What I'm saying is when you open up Control Panel---> Uninstall a Program, it only shows the programs I have on my C drive where the OS is installed. MOST of my programs are installed on the D drive. My question was is there a way to see the D drive programs in the Uninstall list, can't seem to find one. They all showed up in 7, but now they don't, so I assume I'm just missing something...

Andrew,

A couple things from the Tutorials section for you:
There is some good stuff in that section, btw.

Here are Keyboard Shortcuts for you...
http://windowsforum.com/threads/nav-tips-keyboard-shortcuts-for-win8.97516/

http://windowsforum.com/threads/creating-applications-window.110041/
The1st item in the thread is how to have a Programs Toolbar. Followed by how to have an (All) applications window on the Taskbar

Also, you might find it nice using the Desktop Toolbar - Rt Clk Taskbar & enable Desktop Toolbar.

Yes, one can Rt Clk on anything, even, from secondary HDD & Pin to Start. Personally, I rely 100% on Desktop and access everything from there using the above methodology.

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 28116

Wow some great information here, thank you! I love that desktop toolbar, I'll definitely be using that more.

Still haven't resolved the monitor shutting off issue :/ It's not the end of the world, but it is a bit inconvenient. And it just seems so....odd that that'd be something to take away when upgrading an OS. Hm....

Andrew, maybe I'm off track or missing something here, but...

I have a System Drive (the OS), C: drive and a Data Drive, D: Drive. Lots of Program (software) installers are on the Data Drive but, the installations (of them) are on the C: Drive. I'm wondering if this fits with what you are mentioning...

This ^ is kind of 'the norm'.

Cheers,
Drew
thR0V6M5GG2.jpg

Agreed with Drew. For speed and convenience, I have a small ssd as my main drive, on which the OS is installed. As a result, most of my programs are installed on my external drive, but they all, without exception, are in My "programs and Features" window.

With regard to your Monitor problem. Is that bu chance a dell Latitude?

Agreed with Drew. For speed and convenience, I have a small ssd as my main drive, on which the OS is installed. As a result, most of my programs are installed on my external drive, but they all, without exception, are in My "programs and Features" window.

In other words... IF, a program or software IS installed, it WILL show on said list. Thank you, David.

Cheers,
Drew
thR0V6M5GG2.jpg

Man I think the question may have been so simple it was confusing!

In other words... IF, a program or software IS installed, it WILL show on said list. Thank you, David.

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 28142

This is all I needed. Having said that, I DO have programs, yes INSTALLED, on the data drive that are not appearing on the Programs and Features menu list.

Dave I'm on a PC, not a laptop.

Please, tell us what programs these are. Can they do run or used? Are there desktop icons for them. Do they show as listed in ALL Applications? Are there Tiles for them on Start?

Cheers,
Drew
thR0V6M5GG2.jpg

"Dave I'm on a PC, not a laptop."

Yeah. Sorry. Just spotted that. I asked as that is an inherent fault in that particular machine

Pretty much EVERY thing on the D drive. Yes. They run fine. Steam games and MS Office are the big two. There are desktop items for them. No, they don't appear in the Start or Apps menu, hence my first two questions. They also appeared in the list pre-8.1, no changes inbetween other than downloading and installing Win8, same with the monitor.

Last edited:
So let me ask this, has no one else experienced this monitor issue? If you use a desktop and put it in sleep mode, does the monitor turn on as well when you wake the PC? Maybe I can at least narrow things down a bit? Could be a monitor setting issue, but I'd hate to go digging through those first!

Back