Windows 7 New graphics card => BSOD atikmpag.sys

Dezz

Hey everyone,

I recently bought a new graphics cards Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC 2GB with the purpose of using it together with my old Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB to use 3 monitors.

That idea backfired on me because Windows kept disabling Aero. Having read that this can be caused by a software incompatibility, I decided to do the radical thing by formating my computer and reinstalling Windows.

I also removed my old HD4890 card and only used two of the three monitors connected to the HD7850.

Since then, I keep getting BSOD at fairly random times. Not even playing videos, not playing games. Last time it happend when installing Microsoft Security Essentials.

That being said, I followed the instructions and added the necessary attachments with the info you need.

If you need extra info, I'd be happy to provide it and I'm open to suggestions and ideas.

Attachments

• CPU-Z.zip
    188.9 KB · Views: 275
  • Seven Forums.zip
    436.8 KB · Views: 401
  • RAMMon - SPD Info.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 219
Video TDR Failure
The top two reason for these types of errors are;
Incorrect memory timings or voltages and
Insufficient/problematic PSU (Power Supply Unit)
and the third being of course any overclocking (CPU, Memory, GPU)
If your machine doesn't Blue Screen with the old video card in it then I would suspect that the new card may very well exceed your current Power Supply's ability to cope with the added demand.
On the other hand, your memory timings look a bit out of sorts.
Currently showing 8, 8, 8, 20, with a command rate of 1T, when I would expect something like 9, 9, 9, 24 1.5V with a command rate of 2T
You can, assuming all modules are the same as the single SPD tab image you provided, try enabling XMP mode in your system's BIOS utility and see if that stops the blue screens, or else manually set them as I've suggested above.
Code:
BugCheck 116, {fffffa8007e4b4e0, fffff88004408768, 0, d}
Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\   [COLOR=#ff0000][B]atikmpag.sys[/B]   ,[/COLOR] Win32 error 0n2   
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for [B][U][COLOR=#ff0000]atikmpag.sys[/COLOR][/U][/B]
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for [COLOR=#ff0000][U][B]atikmpag.sys[/B][/U][/COLOR]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
[COLOR=#ff0000][U][B]Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+8768 )[/B][/U][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][U][B]VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)[/B][/U][/COLOR]
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.
Arguments:
Arg1: fffffa8007e4b4e0, Optional pointer to internal TDR recovery context (TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT).
Arg2: fffff88004408768, The pointer into responsible device driver module (e.g. owner tag).
Arg3: 0000000000000000, Optional error code (NTSTATUS) of the last failed operation.
Arg4: 000000000000000d, Optional internal context dependent data.
The error seems to point at your current video driver installation, which I suppose could be corrupt and if you have any reason to suspect that, that is the case, then use DriverSweeper from here Phyxion.net - Driver Sweeper very carefully to remove it and perform a clean install from a current known good downloaded source.
I suspect however that the involvement of atikmpag.sys, win32k.sys and dxgmms1.sys and dxgkrnl.sys are more the effect than the actual cause.
Check the specs on your PSU (per rail) should be a tag on the side with information regarding available power in watts and make sure it's up to the task (considering other devices that it also has to power) AMD Radeon HD 7850 and 7870 review
And try to get your memory timings and voltage more inline with 667Mhz conventions. Check with manufacturer for detailed specs.

Hey Trouble,

First of all, thanks for responding to my thread.

Second, unfortunately, the problem hasn't been resolved. I got a BSOD on two occasions while typing this message (auto-save FTW)

1. I don't overclock (except my graphics cards which is the overclocked version)

2. My PSU is the Coolermaster GX-750W so it must be able to handle one little HD7850

3. I've set the memory to XMS but it didn't help.

4. While I was writing this response, I got a BSOD, so they come at absolutely random times. I've played Skirim on Ultra with no issues

5. It's not heat. I've opened up my case, put a fan in front of it and blew it right it. Still BSOD. I've closed it and monitored the temperature constantly. I've used FurMark to stress test my Graphics cards (99% usage), the temp got to about 76°C for 15 minutes and handled it fine. When I got the last BSOD, the temp was at 55°C or something.

6. I've used the latest driver (12.4) and 12.3 and it didn't help one bit. (I did remove every bit of driver with driver sweeper)

7. I didn't touch the memory timings though because I didn't see your values in the list I could chose and I wasn't too sure about what I was supposed to do.

8. I did a complete memory test with Memtest86 and it didn't find any errors

On the other hand, seems unlikely that the RAM memory would be the issue, because it worked perfectly with my other graphics cards for a couple of years. Or am I mistaken in seeing things too logically?

I don't have any spare parts I can use but since the BSOD's are appearing since I've gotten the new graphics cards, I'm guessing they very related.
Could this be a hardware issue of the graphics cards itself?

Last edited:
I just signed up because I have exactly the same problem. I also own a HD7850 2GB DDR5 from Asus and I also own the Coolermaster GX 750W. I get BSOD at random times, usually when I'm not playing games, thats the strange thing. In my BSOD's it says something about that atikmpag.sys. So I ask you after those months: Did you solve your problem and if you did, How did you do it? Because I need to know if I need to return my Graphics card and get another instead. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom