Windows 7 New hard drive, video no longer works

varteaga

I installed a hard drive and upon installing drivers for my nvidia gtx 460, it just gave me a black screen once I got to the login screen. Went back in to safe mode and got older drivers, that didn't work either. I have tried 4 versions of the older drivers and it all goes exactly the same. It's getting a little frustrating. Clean install of windows 7 Home Premium 64. Any ideas as to how to fix this? Or do I just need to get a new motherboard/videocard? Also I have a dual monitor setup and the second monitor doesn't get a signal.

I installed a hard drive and upon installing drivers for my nvidia gtx 460, it just gave me a black screen once I got to the login screen. Went back in to safe mode and got older drivers, that didn't work either. I have tried 4 versions of the older drivers and it all goes exactly the same. It's getting a little frustrating. Clean install of windows 7 Home Premium 64. Any ideas as to how to fix this? Or do I just need to get a new motherboard/videocard? Also I have a dual monitor setup and the second monitor doesn't get a signal.

before reverting back to the drivers that previously worked, did you completely uninstall the drivers that failed?

before reverting back to the drivers that previously worked, did you completely uninstall the drivers that failed?

I did. I also discovered a new wrinkle. There is no icon/drop down menu in device manager for monitors. I use a 2 screen setup and also have my tv plugged in. The only thing it recognizes is a "default" monitor. Nothing else.

I did. I also discovered a new wrinkle. There is no icon/drop down menu in device manager for monitors. I use a 2 screen setup and also have my tv plugged in. The only thing it recognizes is a "default" monitor. Nothing else.

but is there still is a category in DM called, monitor?

Nope. That's what's been baffling everyone I talk to.

that's a good example of strange. maybe even so much it qualifies as a strange anomaly?

try creating another account to test ur PC with.

A. Go to Computer Management/Local Users and Groups/Users/Rightclick an empty space and select New User. After created right click it select properties/go to the Members Tab/make sure it includes "Administrators".

B. log in with new account.

C. see if this strange DM anomaly exists when ur logging onto ur PC with another account.

GL

that's a good example of strange. maybe even so much it qualifies as a strange anomaly?

try creating another account to test ur PC with.

A. Go to Computer Management/Local Users and Groups/Users/Rightclick an empty space and select New User. After created right click it select properties/go to the Members Tab/make sure it includes "Administrators".

B. log in with new account.

C. see if this strange DM anomaly exists when ur logging onto ur PC with another account.

GL

This didn't change anything. I deleted the drivers, windows of course updated it fine. It recognizes my video card with no problems, but there is still no monitor option in Device Manager. I should mention that everything worked perfectly fine before hand. All I did was shut down, put in the new hard drive and then plug everything back in (monitors, keyboards etc). Installed a fresh copy of Windows Home Premium, I had Ultimate before hand but I lost my copy. Now the only time I get my screens to work is either in Safe mode, or if I have all the drivers uninstalled. I can't really try plugging in my old drive since the reason I replaced it was because I was getting read errors on startup and blue screens. At a loss. Going to pick up a copy of Ultimate tomorrow and see if that changes anything.

Checked the connections & vid/monitor cable(s)? Checked all the internal connections. Maybe something inside the box has been dislodged?? Just 'fishing' for possibilities.

Drew

This didn't change anything. I deleted the drivers, windows of course updated it fine. It recognizes my video card with no problems, but there is still no monitor option in Device Manager. I should mention that everything worked perfectly fine before hand. All I did was shut down, put in the new hard drive and then plug everything back in (monitors, keyboards etc). Installed a fresh copy of Windows Home Premium, I had Ultimate before hand but I lost my copy. Now the only time I get my screens to work is either in Safe mode, or if I have all the drivers uninstalled. I can't really try plugging in my old drive since the reason I replaced it was because I was getting read errors on startup and blue screens. At a loss. Going to pick up a copy of Ultimate tomorrow and see if that changes anything.

When installing a fresh copy of Windows you should only have the bare minimum hardware attached. I've experienced crazy things with multiple Hard drives and extra hardware connected when installing a fresh copy. But if all you did was to install Windows on top of itself in order to try and repair this existing problem, then disregard but remember the suggestion.

Describe the two monitors you have, varteaga. For example i have for my Primary monitor a 27" @1920x1200 and for the secondary a 17" @1280x1024.

Try the following:

A. Shut down and disconnect your secondary monitor and restart.

B. Then attempt to get just a single Primary monitor to work. That includes it functioning perfectly fine after logging off and on, after restarting, and also after a complete shutdown and restart.

C. First off, (with just a single Primary monitor connected), don't just delete the drivers in Device manager in safe mode. In Safe-mode or normal mode you should properly get rid of them using Window's Control Panel/Programs and Features/NVIDIA Graphic Driver.

D. Then in safe-mode try using a driver cleaner. Use Guru3D - Driver Sweeper.

E. Next, restart into normal windows mode, and wait for windows to complete detecting new hardware. Be patient. Don't install anything and wait until Windows is done detecting. Wait for it to say you must restart PC to complete. (After a long wait for hardware detection to complete, restart even if it doesn't say to.)

F. After the restart and before installing New Video drivers you must delete the contents of the c:\Nvidia folder. Then you can install the new drivers and select Custom installation! During the custom installation be sure to always select the Option to perform a Clean install.

G. If a single Primary monitor functions fine (including functioning perfectly fine after logging off and on, after restarting and after a complete shutdown and restart) then go ahead and completely shutdown again.

H. After completely shutting down, connect the secondary monitor and start the PC.

I. Right click your desktop and select "Nvidia Control Panel". In the Display section, select "Set up Multiple Displays". Enable secondary monitor from there.

GL and be patient. dual monitors can get crazy to work sometimes after they freak out. (And it's especially frustrating to have happen after they seem to be fine for so long and then you can't seem to get them to work again no matter what you try.)

Being very observant, like I'm sure you have been, because it is the key to solving dual monitor set-up/ vid card problems. I hope what I outlined helps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom