Windows 7 New laptop and Router not getting on...

Netcord

Bought a new HP dv6 1360us yesterday and when setting up it at home it found my router and asked me to enter the password. I got it wrong twice and closed thinking I'd sort it out later.

Now I see and can click onto my router / network and it fails to connect and also fails to allow me to enter a password. I see neighbors routers and it asks me to enter a password to theirs!

I have tried all sorts of things, turning off router, reseting router, manually trying to connect.

My old laptop with Vista set up fine a couple of years ago.

The router is a D Link one.

I'm at the library now and it connected to the internet with no bother.

Help

I see neighbors routers and it asks me to enter a password to theirs

That's because there's is encrypted so You can't use their connection

Did you put a password on your router?

Go to Start > Run,. and type cmd. Noe type ping google.com

Do you get a reply.?

My average is about 45ms

Netcord:
Which model Dlink is it...every router is slightly different. You will need to reset it to factory defaults which should erase any username / password that you may have setup. But it will still have the factory one enabled which is usually something like admin / admin or admin / password or admin with blank entry in password box. google your Dlink model number for factory default username and password. Hope this helps

It's a D Link wbr 1310.

Like I say my i phone and other laptop connect fine. They set up fine and has always been fine.

It's surely not my router it's the new laptop.??

Not sure I really want to change evreything on the router when it's working OK.

All I want to do is be given the chance to enter the user password in - simple as that!

How on earth do I do that - like I said it gives me the opp to enter passwords for neighbor's router's but not my own????

Pls confirm

Thanks

It's a D Link wbr 1310.

Like I say my i phone and other laptop connect fine. They set up fine and has always been fine.

It's surely not my router it's the new laptop.??

Not sure I really want to change evreything on the router when it's working OK.

All I want to do is be given the chance to enter the user password in - simple as that!

How on earth do I do that - like I said it gives me the opp to enter passwords for neighbor's router's but not my own????

Pls confirm

Thanks
I can certainly appreciate you not wanting to change anything on your router, but I'm a little confused, you say "All I want to do is be given the chance to enter the user password in - simple as that!" So please clearify for me, do you mean the user password to login to your router's web interface or are you talking about your security key ( WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc) I need to know which, so we are both talking about the same thing. If it's that later, then perhaps temporarily disabling any type of wireless encryption, briefly for testing purposes could point us in the right direction. I know you don't want to change anything on the router but I have seen instances where Win7 and WEP don't seem to do well so moving to a more advance level of encryption/security is sometimes a solution, provided all the other devices on you network can handle it. Another thing you might try is removing your wireless adapter from device manager and rebooting and see if that has any impact on the issue. Let me know

Last edited:
Thanks Trouble..

It's the password that I set up for the router. Like I said I can see my connection nice and strong but when I click and try and connect onto it - it says I can't and tries to take me through different ways of helping me which ultimately doesn't Funnily, it wants to send me through to an web site which when it tries - it says I'm not connected!!

I see other people's routers and when I click onto it - it asks me for the password.

I went to the library and it connected no problem to their router. Also my vista laptop connects fine.

When I powered up the laptop originaly IT DID ask me for the password but as I didn't know it I thought I could return to that later. I've never found how to get to a screen to enter this info.

Also I took the new laptop to the router and connected the ethernet cable directly in - yes it works! But when I unplug - it still does not!!

Thanks Trouble..

It's the password that I set up for the router. Like I said I can see my connection nice and strong but when I click and try and connect onto it - it says I can't and tries to take me through different ways of helping me which ultimately doesn't Funnily, it wants to send me through to an web site which when it tries - it says I'm not connected!!

I see other people's routers and when I click onto it - it asks me for the password.

I went to the library and it connected no problem to their router. Also my vista laptop connects fine.

When I powered up the laptop originaly IT DID ask me for the password but as I didn't know it I thought I could return to that later. I've never found how to get to a screen to enter this info.

Also I took the new laptop to the router and connected the ethernet cable directly in - yes it works! But when I unplug - it still does not!!

I had this problem, I had to go to my router and create a new wireless connection and Password. Then everthing worked fine. In your case if it hooks up at library it is because no encrypted pass word is required most likely. You can alwas hookup to unsecured networks. I do not do this and will never do this as you are exposing your computer to problems if not totally protected.

I guessing, based on your example of the library situation, that it is indeed the security / encryption key (WEP,WPA,WPA2) that we're talking about. So did you do either of the two things that I suggested. Removing wireless security from your router temporarily and see if you can connect, that should duplicate basically the library experience. Remove the adapter from device manager and reboot your computer, when the computer reboots the wireless adapter should be automatically installed and should then prompt you for the security/encryption key you are asking about. Hope this helps.

Back