Windows 7 "No Audio Device Installed"/"No speakers plugged in"

Reciever80

Hey, new to the forums, I'm Reciever80.

Recently Installed Windows 7. It took me about 14 hours to configure to all my hardware, and now i have one problem left.

The sound doesn't play at all from my computer, and I've looked around on the interent; figured i'd post my question here.

I have the speaker symbol in the bottom right of my screen, with a red circle and a white x inside of it. I put my mouse over it, and it says "no audio output device is enabled". I have the soundcard/on board soundcard that came with my Dell Optiplex 320 minitower, and i can't seem to find out how to fix it.

I have windows 7 32 bit ultimate, and when i was using XP, the sound was listed as something like "SoundMAX HD Audio"

The only device/hardware under "Sound, video, and game controllers" is "High Definition Audio Device".

I right clicked the sound symbol on my taskbar, and go to "Playback devices", and under it is a "Digitial Audio (HDMI)" Which i'm positive i don't have in/on my computer.

I've tried looking at that windows 7 driver list for speakers that is a sticky, and can't figure out if mine is up there.

help please?

And I have speakers attached to my monitor plugged in, BTW.

Last edited:
I am having the exact same problem and have not yet found a solution in over 4 hours of looking on the internet. I am debating about going back to XP and getting my money back for Windows 7. What good is a computer without sound. I am a media developer for goodness sake! It's always something with these dumb pc's

I finally after hours of searching... I got this issue resolved. This link below will update your High Definition Audio Device ( also known as RealTek which I didn't know ) and when you install it your computer will reboot. When it does your sound will magically appear...

Link Removed due to 404 Error

If you go to this link and download the Vista, Windows7 Driver (32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file)

Great job sushi, thanks for posting that. I had fixed it a while back, however i thought this thread was dead and had no need to post it. But that looks extremely familiar so maybe that's what i did. But hey, this guy PM'd me asking for help to this problem. And since i don't have 6 posts i cant PM him back. His name is... "Ineedhelp" if you could PM him (or if someone else could) that would be great...thanks!

Reciever80

I'm having the same problem. I've tried ihatesushi's solution but it didn't work for me. Can you remember what steps you took?

Hey. After having a computer that worked, suddenly, and at the same time only intermittently, (which is worse) I get the same messages. Drivers are up to date. I may well go back to Linux..

There were either two things.

One-I kept switching between 32bit and 64bit PC, and i'm on a 32 bit PC, so maybe that could be it?

Two-Find a sound driver for Vista (or xp) and take the steps that sushi took. I"m sorry for those who aren't solving this problem, hopefully you can figure it out :/ There's not much else i can do.

Back