Windows 7 No Audio Output Device is installed

Kermit

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x86 on my PC, the sound card is an ES1371/ES1373 which has stopped working and giving a Code 12 in Device Manager. Then on the desktop in the task bar the Speaker Icon has a Red X on it and says that No Audio Output Device is Installed. I have deleted the driver and reinstalled it, even changed audio cards to see if that was the problem, I've updated the BIOS to the latest version, ran Defrag and checked the system for errors. The system board is a Gigabyte GA-K8M800-8237. I have fought with this issue for 3 days trying to rectify the problem to no avail. It just does not make sense that there was sound and now there is not. As I reboot the PC I do hear a pop come from the speakers but that is the end of any sounds. I have also checked in Administrator Tools to make certain That Windows Audio is set to Automatic. Does anyone know a solution?

Did you delete the old driver correctly - through control panel -> programs and components -> uninstall programs ?

even changed audio cards - code 12 implies you may be having two cards installed. (Or in theory it may be something wrong with the bios i/o assignments)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager in Windows XP Professional

Code 12
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)

Cause

This error can occur if two devices that are installed on your computer have been assigned the same I/O ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or both). This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device.

Recommended resolution

You can use the Troubleshooting Wizard in Device Manager to determine where the conflict is, and then disable the conflicting device.

Disable the conflicting device
  1. On the device Properties dialog box, click the General tab.
  2. Click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard. The wizard asks you some simple questions and provides a solution to your problem based on the answers that you provide.
3. Follow the resolution steps provided by the wizard to resolve the problem.

Last edited:
I ended up wiping the HDD and reinstalling Windows 7 Ultimate and getting a new sound card because the old one had to have a specific driver before it would work. If the old card had an updated driver it did the same thing. Turns out the card was bad.

I ended up wiping the HDD and reinstalling Windows 7 Ultimate and getting a new sound card because the old one had to have a specific driver before it would work. If the old card had an updated driver it did the same thing. Turns out the card was bad.

Thank you for the feedback. Good luck with the new card. : )

Back
Top Bottom