Windows 7 "No Internet Access" after Windows Update!

If you network is being shown as a public network (bench), then it is handled differently than a Home network. Look at the Windows Firewall to see the difference. I would suggest you open the Network and Sharing Center, click on the link to set your network as a Home network. A Public Network is like Starbucks and is normally more restricted.

If you are assigning your own IP addresses, does that include the DNS addresses also.

Net.GIF
Net2.GIF

Last edited:
Try letting the DHCP server automatically assign your computer the IP address. It could be for whatever reason the router isn't accepting your entered values.
DHCP is disabled on the router. We can't use DHCP. Period.

They don't have to be running Windows 7 - you just need to be able to compare the IP configuration settings on this pc with those of another which is successfully connecting to see if there is any differences which would help explain the problem.
Okay, I'll check the computer I'm posting from right now. How do I do so on WindowsXP?

If you network is being shown as a public network (bench), then it is handled differently than a Home network. Look at the Windows Firewall to see the difference. I would suggest you open the Network and Sharing Center, click on the link to set your network as a Home network. A Public Network is like Starbucks and is normally more restricted.
It's never worked on anything other than set to Public. I tried to set it to the other options when I initially configured the system but the configuration wouldn't even finish. I don't remember the exact details, but I do remember that the setup wouldn't even accept any choice but Public.
If you are assigning your own IP addresses, does that include the DNS addresses also.
Obviously.

ipconfig on xp is exactly the same as on other windows - run a command prompt and enter:

ipconfig /all

(use the redirection to a file which I described earloier if you want to save the output to a file).

You state your Network and Sharing center has a red x after the park bench (see attachment). The only way I can duplicate this is by disconnecting my cable modem from the router. So it would seem you are getting to the router, but not beyond it. There are ways you can check this, like pinging the router or putting its IP address in a browser as a URL.

So, if all your other computers are getting past the router and this one is not, what might be blocking it? I believe these have been mentioned in earlier posts, but perhaps a firewall in the router, or something that is blocking that IP address from connecting to the net.

It was suggested you power cycle the router, but I can't tell if you did that since you seem convinced it is not related to your router. You might do that now if you have not done it previously.

It's never worked on anything other than set to Public. I tried to set it to the other options when I initially configured the system but the configuration wouldn't even finish. I don't remember the exact details, but I do remember that the setup wouldn't even accept any choice but Public.
It concerns me that you cannot set your network to Home. Public networks are usually computers connected directly to the internet. I have seen that type of problem if the IP addresses being used were not part of the home network. You are sure the router address is x.x.1.1?

Maybe you should set up your network again. Since I cannot go through that, make sure you use the appropriate wizard.

Sorry if none of this gives you any help, but I am also out of ideas....

Attachments

• No Connect.GIF
    No Connect.GIF
    12.6 KB · Views: 688
Last edited:
My only other possible thoughts would be a hardware compatibility issue, or as Saltgrass has suggested, a network setup problem.
I know you said you can't, but if the router at all supports the option, enable the DHCP server,

Saltgrass, patcooke and myself have no doubt seen similar problems before, but never a similar one that has taken this long to solve.

You state your Network and Sharing center has a red x after the park bench (see attachment). The only way I can duplicate this is by disconnecting my cable modem from the router. So it would seem you are getting to the router, but not beyond it. There are ways you can check this, like pinging the router or putting its IP address in a browser as a URL.
As I stated several posts ago, I already tried that. I can access the router (by putting the IP adress in as a URL) from every computer except the one I'm having the problem with. That was one of the first things I checked. So, no, it's NOT. THE. ROUTER.

My only other possible thoughts would be a hardware compatibility issue, or as Saltgrass has suggested, a network setup problem.
How could that even be possible, though? Wouldn't that sort of thing have caused all sorts of other problems a long time ago? And how would that in any way explain everything working perfectly up until after a Windows Update Reboot?

I know you said you can't, but if the router at all supports the option, enable the DHCP server,
There are Unix boxes on the router. We CAN'T enable DHCP. Ever. Period.

Saltgrass, patcooke and myself have no doubt seen similar problems before, but never a similar one that has taken this long to solve.
No kidding. Can we get back on track, though? We've already ruled out this problem not being local to the Win7 system.

Here's the IPconfig from the computer I'm posting from. I'll see if I can get the ipconfigs from some of the other (wired) windows systems on the router later. There are eleven systems on the router, including two PS3s. This computer, plus two other laptops, plus one of the PS3s is on wireless. All other systems are wired.
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Sylvanas
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-AE-2F-3E-9D

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-2C-7B-AA-01
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.83
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.76.178

By the way, do you guys know of any other places that I might be able to find help on this?

Oh and what does turning on "network discovery and file sharing" from clicking on the bench at the top of the Network and Sharing Center do? Could that have something to with the problem? 'cause it seems like it might.

I didn't read the whole thread so I apologize in advance if these suggestions have been tried.

In I.E. - Tools | Internet Options | Connections tab | LAN settings

Make sure all boxes are unchecked and ok your way out. Close IE and test connection.

If no good, look for the presence of mdnsresponder.exe in the task manager. If you have this, please tell me so I can help you further.

If no mdsnresponder.exe, open an elevated command prompt. Copy and paste each line to it, then hit enter after each. Reboot and test:

Code:
netsh winsock reset
Code:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

(After the reboot, you may have to enter the static ip info again.)

Last edited:
Machinimator, do you care to explain why you gave my above post a negative rating? I go out of my way to provide assistance and that's the thanks I get? Not very cool of you to say the least.

Those are very valid solutions that have helped others many times over. Poor taste, especially after you asking "Anybody? Anything?"

----

As far as you believing you can't enable DHCP because you have Linux, you are completely wrong about that. You can enable DHCP and still tell Linux to use a static ip. Just because DHCP is enabled doesn't stop you from specifying an ip.

If you're going to be rude to members, I'd say at least be right about things lol.

Last edited:
No offence Torrentg. I have argued this point with Mike. If he saw your post as unhelful, then I guess it is his right to mark it so. It was probably helpful to many, but not to him. I do not like these merit systems at all, but minus points are most definitely a no no.
I received minus points, from two members, on a two year old post concerned with Vista a little while ago!!

Had this same type of problem which i had attributed to updating the firmware on my router but after reading these posts i checked and did note a recent Windows update. Also, I am not a PC guru like a lot of the respondents on this forum. I just had a frustrating problem and wanted to share how I solved my particular problem (which was quite easy, 10 hours later, haha)

Did not read all the threads herein but i tried many solutions including the Bonjour, power cycle modem and routers, updating drivers, disabling, reinstalling, etc and none worked for me. Also tried system restore and that did not help either.

Here is a list of my PC sickness symptoms and see if they relate to yours:

1. Could not connect to internet via wireless connection.
2. Network was listed as "Unidentified Network".
3. Was unable to change the network type to private or home.
4. Could connect to internet via a port on the router (ethernet cable, obviously)

Solution to my problem (need to be connected to router via ethernet cable):
1. Open Networking and sharing center
2. Select Manage wireless networks
3. Under networks you can modify, "remove" all networks.
4. Open router administration via internet explorer
5. I have a linksys router and assume this will work on any type of router ... but as I mentioned, not a PC guru.
6. Restore router to factory defaults.
7. Click on wireless connection view in bottom right of tool bar and should see "linksys" or router name under wireless network connection.
8. Connect to wireless network. My router asked for a network security key which i had to get from within the router setup, but once i entered this key, i was connected.
8. Go to Network sharing center and should be able to see wireless network.
9. Should be able to unplug cable and still be connected to internet.
10. Go back to router setup to set up security

This may not be the exact situation you have, but after reading some of the suggested fixes to your issue, it appears there may be some commonality. After I spent all that time trying all the fixes everyone mentioned, I was relieved how easy my problem was to fix.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I don't believe we ever discussed which Windows Update caused the problem? If you could isolate it, that would be a lot more helpful. Ignore my hardware problems babbling.

We've already determined that it is logically impossible for any one specific update to be at fault.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the circumstances making DHCP unusable have been removed, and the network is now DHCP.

All the other systems on the router, both wired and wireless function normally now set to DHCP.

However, this did produce a different result on the system in question, namely that the troubleshooter now detects a problem. Running it and following its instructions still has absolutely no effect, but it is now recognizing a problem:

Investigate router or broadband modem issues
If you're connected to a hotspot or domain network, contact the network administrator.
Otherwise:
1. Unplug or turn off the device.
2. After all the lights on the device are off, wait at least 10 seconds.
3. Turn the device on or plug it back into the power outlet.
To restart the router or modem that has a built-in-battery, press and quickly release the Reset button.

Following this, all variations (reseting router, but not modem, reseting modem but not router, reseting both router and modem, and skipping the reset) produce the exact same report:

Windows Network Diagnostics

Issues found
"Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration . . . . . . Not fixed
. . Reset the "Local Area Connection" adapter . . . . . . Completed
. . Investigate router or broadband modem issues . . . . . . Completed

Detection details

Details about network adapter diagnosis:
Network adapter Local Area Connection driver information:
. . Description . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
. . Manufacturer . . . . . . : NVIDIA
. . Provider . . . . . . . : Microsoft
. . Version . . . . . . : 1.0.1.211
. . Inf File Name . . . . . . . : C:\Windows\INF\netnvm64.inf
. . Inf File Date . . . . . . . : Monday, July 13, 2009 8:37:30 PM
. . Section Name . . . . . . . : NVENET51.NDI
. . Hardware ID . . . . . . . : pci\ven_10de&dev_0269
. . Instance Status Flags . . . . . . . : 0x180200a
. . Device Manager Status Code . . . . . . : 0
. . IfType . . . . . . : 6
. . Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 14

Collection information
Computer Name: ALGALON
Windows Version: 6.1
Architecture: amd64
Time: Monday, November 15, 2010 2:18:38 AM

Also, doing an ipconfig /renew and produces this:

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The system cannot find the file specified.

If nothing here has helped yet, you might want to try using system restore to restore the computer to before the update. This might help.

Problem solved but not entirely explained.

It turns out there was a switch between my system and the router that I didn't know about. I confirmed the router worked, I confirmed the modem worked, and was stumped, but changing ports on the switch partially fixed the problem.

I say partially, because every time Windows Update runs and reboots the system, the problem returns. Luckily, all it takes is unplugging the network cable and plugging it back in for the internet to come back, but the point remains that, EVERY TIME WINDOWS UPDATE REBOOTS THE SYSTEM, this happens.

Back