Windows 7 no internet access(no problem of unidentified network)

blib

running windows 7 64, have had zero problems for about 6 months until now after i moved i cannot wire to router i have to use a wireless adapter. Originally bought a d link dwa 130 and it worked great for about a week then out of the blue the net went out for no reason whatsoever, no updates had happened at the time there was no antivirus or firewall anything. tried everything(to my knowledge) and couldnt get it working again.(it was connecting just not allowing me internet access so it wasnt the adapter i dont think). anyways finally gave up uninstalled the drivers for that d link and exchanged it for a netgear adapter which worked great for about 2-3 weeks then the exact same problem started again. I am connected to the public network which has no password, but all of a sudden says no internet access. I have tried disabling/enabling, uninstalled bonjour(didnt have that weird line in services which is apparently related), turned off firewall, turned off windows defender, reinstalled software. Again this happened for no apparent reason, nothing was going on on the comp i hadnt installed anything new in a long time, no antivirus programs making any disruption, no updates just while browsing wikipedia all of a sudden cut out.

forgot to add: i have the same d link adapter i originally had working fine on another computer in the apartment running windows 7 as well and it has never had a problem.(i also tried the d link adapter that i was having problems with on several other computers in the house and it worked perfectly fine.

i have no clue how the d link could work perfectly then conk out, then the netgear worked perfectly for another few weeks and now again (Connected to the network but giving the yellow exclamation warning sign saying no internet access)

appologize if thats too much info but am pretty frustrated at this point any help whatsoever would be great

blib:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
You might try checking with the manufacturer of your wireless router to determine if there is a firmware update available. Typically when this type of problem occurs if you open the network and sharing center and click on the red x either between your gateway and the internet globe or between you computer and the gateway to invoke the troubleshooter, you will ususally get a response indicating an issue with communicating or connecting to the default gateway or words to that effect, so you may want to establish whether or not, when the problem is present, if you can ping the inside edge of the router and open the routers web interface.
You can and probably should experiment with different channels on the router depending on the selections available change it from whatever to 3 and if that doesn't improve the issue change it to 11 and if that doesnt help, pick something near the middle say 6.
Is the other Win7 machine that seems to work well with the adapter installed also running the 64bit version of Windows 7?
You don't mention the Rev.# (Revision number) of the dwa 130, but for instance the Rev E version of that particular device I believe uses the Realtek 8192su chipset and you might be better off trying the actual realtek driver which is newer by more than a year than the one available through D-Link for the same Rev E model.
As an example
Code:
Dlink Drivers
net8192su.cat 10/8/2009
net8192su.inf 10/2/2009
rtl8192su.sys 8/20/2009

RealTek Drivers
net8192su.cat 12/13/2010
net8192su.inf 12/10/2010
rtl8192su.sys 11/25/2010
Also you need to consider proximity as well as potential interference from other devices, cordless phones, neighbors wireless, etc.
And while you're at it you should also try temporarily adding wireless security to the router, try WPA and an easy password phrase like P@$$w0rd or Phr@$e just to see if that helps change up things. Usually adding encryption generally adds a bit of overhead so it may not help but it never hurts to try. Just to see if you can move the diagnostic process off the zero mark.
Keep us posted
Regards
Randy

thanks for the response man. to clarify a few things, i got rid of the d-link took it back to the store and exchanged it for a netgear n600 wireless adapter so thats what im using currently...im not quite sure who is in control of the router and modem its just free for everyone living in these 4 appartments but i could find out if i need to...the other computer thats been working fine is also 64 bit yes. . . the proximity is fine i think my adapter says the connection is at like 89-96% pretty much constantly... in the list of available networks the one im connected to says its on channel 6... i ran the network diagnostic and the response was "your broadband modem i experiencing connectivity issues" and it suggests a full reset of everything which i cannot do tonight because again im not sure who is in control of everything but i could find out but that doesnt make sense since every other comp in the building has never had this problem... im confused about why the problem was fixed when i switched my adapter from the d-link to the netgear and 2 weeks later im at the same problem....connected to the network with no internet access....if you could recommend something i could do or look for to help that would be great

edit: the diagnostic said "Problem found: The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the internet are broken." this doesnt make much sense to me since im on another computer in the house connected to the same network and all other computers are working fine.

edit 2: just wondering if you had any idea why when i switched my wirelass adapter from the d link to the netgear that it fixed the problem for a while

Last edited:
It kinda difficult when you can only manage and control one end of the two way connection but;
lets assume for the moment that whatever wireless router you are connecting to is having some difficulty albeit somewhat intermittent communicating properly with your network adapter for whatever reason and lets further assume that the problem is something we can actually do something about from your end so....
when the problem is present you need to determine what information if any your adapter is receiving from the wireless router regarding IPv4 addressing information so open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
examine the IPv4 information for the wireless adapter and copy and paste it into your next post so I can have a look at what you have or don't have regarding the scheme.
Additionally lets assume that for some reason the router is having problems with either IPv6 solicitation coming from your adapter or is having problems with DNS forwarding so
type
ncpa.cpl
into the search or run dialog box and hit enter
select then right click your wireless adapter and choose properties
in the resultant dialog box in the center frame titled "This connection uses the following items:"
uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6
and then
select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click the properties button
in the resultant dialog box near the bottom select the radio button that says "Use the following DNS server addresses:" and then enter the following;
Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8
Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4
OK your way back out of there and reboot
Let us know if that does anything at all to improve the current issue

ok so i went and unchecked ipv6 from my adapter properties and rebooted and no difference still connected to the network with no internet access.
not sure what youre looking for exactly about the ipv4 info, you want the address, subnet mask etc?

did you also statically assign the DNS server addresses as I suggested for IPv4?
I am actually more interested in what the IPv4 addressing scheme is getting regarding a default gateway and what it is suggesting you use for DNS, probably the same address when not statically assigned. But yes the whole IPv4 scheme would be helpful just to make sure that the IP address and gateway are on the same subnet. Unless you can confirm that they are that would be fine as well.

yes i did statically assign the dns server addresses as you suggested after i unchecked ipv6 in my adapter settings. here is the ip config stuff you were asking about, typing it out here while looking since i cant get on the net over there >>, sorry not sure if theres something specific u want to see will just type it all

host name : drew-pc
primary dns suffix:
node type: hybrid
ip routing enabled: no
WInS proxy enabled: no
dns suffix search list: no.shawcable.net

wireless lan adapter wireless network connection 2:

Connection-specific dns suffix: no.shawcable.net
description: netgear wnda3100v2 n600 wireless dual band usb adapter
physical address: E0-91-F5-55-39-F2
DHCP enabled: yes
Autoconiguration enabled: yes
ipv4 address: 192.168.1.113<preferred>
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
lease obtained: fri apr 22
lease expires: fri apr 29
default gateway: 192.168.1.1
dhcp server: 192.168.1.1
dns servers: 8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4 (i did the ipconfig after i entered these as you suggested)
netbios over tcpip: enabled

and then under all that are two different tunnel adapter sections w/e that is(let me know if you need that info as well)
anyways i think thats all you need at least thanks again

looks good and I'm not sure why you are unable to connect to the internet, so....
please go back into the properties of your wireless adapter and select IPv4 and click the properties button and reset both top and bottom frames to
Obtain an IP address automatically
and
Obtain DNS server address automatically
OK your way back out of there and reboot again.
At a command prompt again type
ipconfig /all
compare the IPv4 address, default gateway and DNS server address(es) that you have on the problem PC with those on another computer that is working properly. Everything needs to be the same except the actual IP address, it needs to be the same in the first three octets (192.168.1) but the last octet needs to be unique, in your example above the number .113 can only be on one computer on your subnet just as the physical address and the host name must be unique as well.
open a command prompt and ping other network nodes by IP address
type]
ping 192.168.1.1
hit enter
examine response, should say sent four(4) received four(4) loss zero(0)
do it again
ping 64.233.169.99, should have same results
let us know the results of the pings

ok, switched the ipv4 back to obtain automatically so did the ipconfig /all just now and the ip address as well as the default gateway/dhcp/dns are all the same except mine is 113 at the end. checked the other computers they have the same ip listed above except for the last number.
pinged the numbers. ping response for 192.168.1.1 - 4 sent, 0 recieved, 4 loss<100% loss>
ping response for 64.233.169.99 - same results all of it timed out 100% loss. very confusing. i thought it may have just been a conflict with the d-link drivers or something like that since when i installed the netgear adapter it worked perfectly. let me know if those results give you any insight as to what it is lol, just moved from the states to Can having no net for a while now pretty frustrating

ping yourself
ping local host
ping 127.0.0.1
ping drew-pc
ping 192.168.1.113
let us know the results and or any error you may see as a result of these attempts.

pinged 127.0.0.1 - nothing timed out 4 sent 4 recieved 0 loss...did ping drew-pc....4 sent 4 recieved 0 loss.....pinged the ip(192.168.1.113) - 4 sent 4 recieved 0 loss....all statistics showing 0ms thanks for the quick response

Last edited:
go to a working computer and ping the default gateway
first on the working computer do an
ipconfig /all
and make sure that the default gateway for it is actually 192.168.1.1 (IPv4 for the network adapter that it is using)
then
ping 192.168.1.1
report the results from the working computer, I'm concerned that everything seems to be well and working but you are unable to ping the default gateway from your computer so I just want to know if the wireless router is filtering ping responses globally or if the problem is only with your computer.

as i said above the other computers have the same ip except for the last set, and like you said above their default gateway is 192.168.1.1, just pinged it on this working computer and the results were 4 sent 4 recieved 0 loss all stats were 1ms.

OK, well you've sort of zero'd in on the problem.
Everyone can ping the default gateway except you. The default gateway is what supports and allows your computer to communicate with other locations outside of your subnet.
My best guess is that whoever is responsible for administering the wireless router is using filtering (IP or MAC) to block your access or that he/she has setup some type of usage thresholds which you may have exceeded.
In either case it would seem that you need to communicate with the individual who controls the router and see if you can work through the issue with him or her.
Just to double check make sure that you can ping to and from a known good machine to and from the problem machine
from the good machine
ping 192.168.1.113
from the problem machine
ping 192.168.1.nnn (where nnn is the last octet of the IPv4 address of the machine that works)
Let us know the results.

ok that makes sense i may have exceeded some limit i guess...i just pinged my non working from the working and got 4 recieved 0 loss, i then pinged this working comp from my non working and i got all request timed outs...i can try to find out from whoever has control of the router today maybe....also another question for you...when i started experiencing the problem with my first adapter, why would it start working for me again when i hooked up and installed the new adapter that i exchanged it for, also would the lease obtained/expired dates have anything to do with that(not rly knowledgable on any of this networking stuff) because i notice the lease obtained resets whenever i restart my computer but i usually never turn it off. also i dont know if its odd that i cant ping this working computer in the network because i can see this computer in the network layout of my comp that wont connect

Hold on for a second and let's see.
You can ping the bad computer from a know good one successfully....but,
you were unable to ping from the bad computer to a known good one is that correct?
Do you have a third computer available to you to further the diagnosis ( a second known good working/internet access computer)
ping known good to known good, back and forth just to make sure that the one known good is not blocking ping requests
then back and forth from and to the other known good to the bad computer
let us know the results.
Often ICMP echo (ping) is blocked by firewalls out of the box so you may want to consider that as well. Just want to make sure that you can communicate with other network nodes on your same subnet before we go blaming the problem on the wireless router.

ok so i attempted to ping the two good computers with each other, when i tried both it gave me 4x request timed out on each comp, any suggestions? they are both working fine btw and have experienced no problems...i did notice they both have the exact same pc name if that makes any difference at all as inn blahblah-pc

edit - maybe i can ping my bad one because i have my firewall turned off atm thinking that mightve been some part of the problem connecting.

Last edited:
no that just means that either the windows firewall or a third party firewall/internet security suite is blocking the ping utility.
As far as having identical hostnames that will create a problem with certain name resolution queries based on netbios and such but has no effect at all when using strictly IP pings. You might want to suggest that they change one or the other slightly (like blahblah-pc2) to make it unique otherwise there may be issues with sharing network resources like files, folders and printers. For the whole network to function properly all machine names, ip addresses, and MAC/physical addresses must be unique, but it is not likely impacting your issue at all since we are concerned with FQDNs (Fully Qualified Domain Names) being resolved to IP address by DNS and outside of a fully functional Active Directory Domain, netbios names (host/machine names) don't factor into the equation.
So we're really back to acertaining why everyone else can successfully ping the gateway and you can't. Have you been able to talk with the person in control of the router?
As far as DHCP lease timestamps changing, this is normal after a restart. Your machine will either solicit a new address or a renewal of the existing address, in either case the timestamp will likely be updated to reflect that change, even without the restart if lease times are very short in duration. Not a problem just the way things work.
Also can you re-confirm for me that you don't have any third party antivirus/security suite nor third party firewall installed now or in the recent past and;
Just for the heck of it, reboot the computer into safemode with networking. This maybe fruitless as you've got about a 50/50 chance that the drivers for the USB network adapter will even load, but if they do it may provide some additional insight into the issue.
Start your computer in safe mode make sure you select the with networking option.

just uninstalled malware bytes(the only thing i can see in the list that could possibly be 3rd party antivirus w/e)...also i noticed silverlight somehow installed itself without my knowing a day or two ago i have no clue how...the only program ive even downloaded in the last couple months was an audio converter which i uninstalled immediately...thought that it may have been a virus since i noticed a window sort of flashing by for a 10th of a second on startup but i think i just never noticed it before. no clue about that so ya there is no 3rd party antivirus / firewall installed whatsoever, the only thing i can think of that could be left there is if something didnt uninstall all the way when using the add/remove programs instead of the custom uninstall exe but anyways...for some reason having trouble booting computer in safe mode...when i hit F8 on restart all it says is select boot device or hit esc to boot default

edit - NVM sorry bout that its booting in safe mode atm just had to mash f8 again after selecting device

Last edited:
ok sooooo booted up in safe mode with networking, it loaded everything up but still same problem, i was able to connect to the network but still no internet access....so i assume its like you suggested before maybe i exceeded some limit that host has set or something? but still i dont understand why when i went out and bought a different adapter that it fixed what was happening before and i was able to connect, then same problem again 5 days later

Back
Top Bottom