Windows 7 No Internet connection after windows update

alphabeta123

After installing the latest windows update, I cannot connect my notebook to the internet (either via wireless or direct link to a router). But after I restored the system back to 2 days ago before I installed the updates, everything is back to normal. I don't know whether this problem is due to the nature of the specific updates that were released or sth from my notebook (sony vaio with windows 7 64-bit home premium version).
The updates I installed before were: Update for Microsoft Silverlight(KB2416427), Update for IE 8 compatibility view list for x64-based systems(KB2362765), Update for windows 7 for x-64 based systems (KB2158563, KB979538), Definition Update for windows defender (KB915597).

Will highly appreciate it if some expert can provide me some useful advice on this.

Hello and welcome.

Here's the plan...

1) Download the latest wired and wireless drivers for your model from Sony. Have them ready to use.

2) Install all the patches and updates.

3) If issue returns, install the drivers you downloaded.

4) If that didn't fix it, then open an elevated command prompt. Run each of these commands one at a time, pressing enter after each:

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot and test.

This should pretty much guarantee that the end result is well. Good luck and please keep us updated on the issue, whether it has been fixed or not.

Hi TorrentG,

As advised, I went to the sony website and downloaded some software updates (related to internet connection). Then I downloaded the windows update again and so far everything works fine. No more problem with internet connection. It took more than 30 mins but it was worth the effort, as in future I will know where to start if there is a problem.

Thanks a lot for your assistance.

Back