Windows 7 No Internet Connection - Wired

jrdonnaruma

Alright, so I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 build 7086 x64. Everything works just find, except my network adapters. I'll detail system specs after I explain the problem.

When i connect one of my cables, the computer attempts to identify the network. It doesnt. I check IPconfig, and it gets all DHCP information from my Linksys router, but no internet connection. I have IPv6 turned off on both adapters, as well as the VMnet adapters i use for VMware Workstation.

I attempt to ping google.com and it comes back, ping request could not find host
I attempt to ping the router, and says host unreachable.

(IPconfig data - Local Area Connection 2) (Local Area Connection 1 shows up the same with IPv4 Address 192.168.1.102)
Connection-specific DNS Suffix : oxfordnetworks.net
IPv4 Address : 192.168.1.103
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1

The Gateway itself sees the Win 7 computer, but when i ping from the router to 192.168.1.103, it times out.

Also, I attempted to update the network drivers using the Intel Pro v14 Vista x64 drivers, and the installer wouldnt let me install the drivers because of "software not built for your operating system"

System Specs:
Supermicro X8SAX x58 motherboard
core i7 920
ATI 4890 (XFX Extreme Edition)
6gb 3x2gb 1333 Corsair XMS
WD64000AAKS 640 GB Western Digital HDD
2x LG SuperMulti DVD burners

Everything EXCEPT the network is working flawlessly on this sytem

Have you put in the mac address for the router?

If not, work through the Control Panel - Network and Sharing centre - Set up a new connection.Have your mac number ready.

I am trying to do that right now, and my router isn't showing up. I go to - Network and Sharing Center -> Setup a Connection or Network, Set up a new network, and nothing shows up. I left it for about 5 minutes, and nothing showed up.

I am trying to do that right now, and my router isn't showing up. I go to - Network and Sharing Center -> Setup a Connection or Network, Set up a new network, and nothing shows up. I left it for about 5 minutes, and nothing showed up.

Just a thought but have you checked your hardware for faults ?

That was one of the first things I checked. The adapters and chipset work just fine with Vista x64, x32, Windows XP, Xp x64, Fedora Core 11, Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu 8.04, (Mainboard doesnt support 8.10, dumps to initramfs every time i try to boot.. really annoying) I currently have 4 partitions on this system, Windows X9 x64, Windows Vista x64, Ubuntu 9.04, and was trying to get Win7 on the fourth, and this issue keeps popping up.

That was one of the first things I checked. The adapters and chipset work just fine with Vista x64, x32, Windows XP, Xp x64, Fedora Core 11, Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu 8.04, (Mainboard doesnt support 8.10, dumps to initramfs every time i try to boot.. really annoying) I currently have 4 partitions on this system, Windows X9 x64, Windows Vista x64, Ubuntu 9.04, and was trying to get Win7 on the fourth, and this issue keeps popping up.

Hi jrdonnaruma,
I was watching this thread from the side line as you were getting expert help and did not want to disturb the flow of communication by interjecting unnecessarily. Since no one is following this for a while I thought I will add my 2¢. :)

Just to be on the same wave length, may I ask a few questions to clarify points discussed so far first by letting you know what I understood giving you a chance to correct if I am wrong.

• At present your newly installed Win 7 system ( let us call it Supermicro) in a multiboot environment is unable to connect to the Internet through a Wired Broadband Router and Broadband Modem.
  • Supermicro is unable to have LAN connection to other networked PC (PCs)
  • You have verified the Device Manager and there are no errors anywhere and especially the Network dapter is seen listed and its Properties > "This device is working properly"
If the above are true,
  1. Do you have a DSL or Cable Modem?
  2. Are the other PCs in the Network able to connect to the Internet using the same Router and Modem after the Win 7 was installed in this Supermicro PC?
  3. If there are 2 or more other PCs in the network, can they see each other in their Network Places > View workgroup computer /Samba > Windows Workgroup > Workgroup as used to be before?
  4. Did Win 7 automatically install the Network adapter driver or you had to install the driver after Win 7 setup?
  5. If you had installed , did you use the MoBo CD or make a fresh download of Win Vista X64 driver for your LAN from Supermicro download site? Super Micro Computer, Inc. | Support | Resources
  6. Did you install the latest Chipset driver in the above method?
  7. Have you any time during the present troubleshoot try to connect Supermicro to the Modem without Router to access the Internet? f so were you able to connect?
  8. Just at the same time as the SuperMicro win7's was made, had you changed the Router or was that an existing router
  9. Any oher information you think you might have missed to give in the Networking area such as 3rd party Firewalls like Norton /MCafee etc.
  10. I shall wait for your responses if you decide to take my help.
Good luck

Last edited:
Try removing the security from the router. It has been giving unexplainable problems with windows 7. You can also disable the windows 7 firewall.

Hi jrdonnaruma,
I was watching this thread from the side line as you were getting expert help and did not want to disturb the flow of communication by interjecting unnecessarily. Since no one is following this for a while I thought I will add my 2¢. :)

Just to be on the same wave length, may I ask a few questions to clarify points discussed so far first by letting you know what I understood giving you a chance to correct if I am wrong.

• At present your newly installed Win 7 system ( let us call it Supermicro) in a multiboot environment is unable to connect to the Internet through a Wired Broadband Router and Broadband Modem.
  • Supermicro is unable to have LAN connection to other networked PC (PCs)
  • You have verified the Device Manager and there are no errors anywhere and especially the Network dapter is seen listed and its Properties > \"This device is working properly\"
If the above are true,
  1. Do you have a DSL or Cable Modem? Yes
  2. Are the other PCs in the Network able to connect to the Internet using the same Router and Modem after the Win 7 was installed in this Supermicro PC? yes
  3. If there are 2 or more other PCs in the network, can they see each other in their Network Places > View workgroup computer /Samba > Windows Workgroup > Workgroup as used to be before? yes, all of my other computers can see each other, and can connect to the network and internet.
  4. Did Win 7 automatically install the Network adapter driver or you had to install the driver after Win 7 setup?Win 7 Automatically installed the network adapter drivers (two network adapters onboard, and I have tested both devices, and uninstalling and reinstalling both drivers.
  5. If you had installed , did you use the MoBo CD or make a fresh download of Win Vista X64 driver for your LAN from Supermicro download site? I have the latest drivers, and cant get them installed, as intel does an OS check, and since the drivers are designed for Vista, Win7 isn't supported. I will be trying Compatibility mode as soon as I get around to working on the system later today.
  6. Did you install the latest Chipset driver in the above method? will be.
  7. Have you any time during the present troubleshoot try to connect Supermicro to the Modem without Router to access the Internet? f so were you able to connect? YEs, I attempted that, and it was the same as before, all DHCP information was received, but no connection was avaliable.
  8. Just at the same time as the SuperMicro win7's was made, had you changed the Router or was that an existing router: Same router, will most likely be getting a new one today though, I have been meaning to replace this one for a while.
  9. Any oher information you think you might have missed to give in the Networking area such as 3rd party Firewalls like Norton /MCafee etc., No, I typically use a hardware firewall, but I disconnected it to try to get Win7 working, and I do not use any software firewall.
Good luck

Answers In Italics,
Also, I dont use security on the router, I'm in an area where I don't need it, because the closest house is a quarter mile away, and I monitor the network to see who is connected to it, just incase.

Answers In Italics,
Also, I dont use security on the router, I'm in an area where I don't need it, because the closest house is a quarter mile away, and I monitor the network to see who is connected to it, just incase.
Thank you for your responses and I look forward to your successful Internet and LAN connection message after you finish your troubleshoot. Please post in detail so others can use your successful method as a general roadmap when they find themselves lost in networking wilderness:). If you need any help there are some of us following this thread ready to help.

Back
Top Bottom