Windows 7 No Sound After Installation

440Music

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. Download |MG| SIV (System Information Viewer) 3.36
4 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ******-PC
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model XPS M1330
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A12, 7/8/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name ******-PC\******
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.28 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.24 GB
Page File Space 2.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

2. In "Other Devices" inside Device Manager there is "Unknown Device" with a yellow flag.

3. Done. I have it open.

4. Filled out what I could

ISSUE:

I've just recently installed Windows 7 Professional (retail, via the Engineering dept. of my University). Everything is peachy, except for the fact that my laptop speakers do not produce sound. When I plug in headphones via the headphone jack, I DO get sound (only through the headphones). I've searched all over many forums relating to sound problems and have downloaded several suggestions and have yet to work.

--I have fully updated windows 7 via windows update.
--I have all of my driver installation cds with me from the Dell manufacturer that came with the original computer (and I've tried a couple)
--I've gone to Dell's Drivers & Installation section with my computer's serial # and attempted to reinstall the related audio driver with no luck.
--My sound was perfect with the Vista Home Premium I was using earlier today.

I'm just trying to get a driver that works. So far the links have been unsuccessful. If anyone could provide a driver that solved a sound problem that would be great (and I'd appreciate instructions). Thank you.

Have you tried
Right Click Volume icon on icon tray. Volume Control, Under Sound Devices Tick Select Speakers or any of those combinations?

Sometimes "Some Times" after I have my speakers plugged, then unplug em, then plug my headphones in, I gotta unplug the headphones and plug back in to get sound But that is with my headphones and I know you Speakers are internal so maybe after you unplug your Headphones you gotta reset something some where to have the Speakers re-enabled for sound.

Edit.
Instead of have the dell driver.exe install its self,
Try this
Create a new folder on desktop ctrl+shift+N
Extract your sound-driver.exe to you new folder you created using something like winrar.
Right click on My Computer icon in start menu and then click Manage.
On the left pane is Device Manager click on it.
Where the yellow mark is "your device" Right click on it and uninstall.
if prompt to reboot, do so and go back to Device Manger.
Click where that Yellow marker was and click install and navigate to that New folder you created and extracted the sound-driver.exe to.
Select that new folder and hit ok.
Report Back.

Last edited:
I am having the same problem with my desk top.
Q9450 Intel
Evga 780I
9800GX2 Nvidia Gforce
Razer Mako Speaker setup
I use the on bored sound, i just installed windows 7 recently and installed the most recent Realtek HD audio drivers, i have made sure i have the realtek HD audio selected as my default mixer, i have also tried every config... so basically every rear jack with every mixer aloud, and i get nothing, the speakers them selves hooked up to my laptop work fine, so they are not broken, if i plug in my Logitech headset and change the mixer, i can also get sound, for w/e reason it is only my speakers that will not work.

Also had this problem. Installed Windows 7 and my headphones and microphone stopped working. I managed to get the microphone working after hours of tweaking. Can't get the headphones working. Really annoying, especially as I thought it was a problem with the headphone set and actually bought a new one. Still can't figure this out. It's annoying that Windows 7 is more complex than previous versions in this area and doesn't work properly

Scrollock, whats your system spec or laptop make and model?

Scrollock, whats your system spec or laptop make and model?
----------------------
Dell Studio desktop
32Bit Intel Core 2 Quad

Back
Top Bottom