Windows 7 No wireless detection

Dave Newman

I recently replaced Window8 with Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit, as I couldn't get on with Windows 8). The installation went okay until it got to detecting wireless devices. Absolutely nothing! This is a 100% legitimate version. I couldn't register it, because I could not get the Internet. What is even stranger, is I purchased Windows 7 Premium at the same time for my laptop. That version turned wireless off, and I had hell's own job getting it back again. As I needed a computer for my work, I installed Linux Ubuntu on the laptop, and that worked fine on wireless, so no problem there. The desktop also works okay on wireless dual booting with Linux Mint, but Windows just does not show any sign of a wireless device. There are at least seven other hubs in the area as well as mine, and they all show up on Linux, but nothing on Windows. What on earth is going on please! I do need Windows for some of my work.

Last edited by a moderator:
After you installed windows 7, did you install the appropriate drivers?

What is the make and model of the PC you downgraded from 8 to 7?

You can activate by phone if absolutely necessary.

But it sounds like Windows is having a problem with your wireless in both versions. Normally it will have its own drivers, but in your case it looks like some problem it not allowing them to work.

Do you happen to know the model of the wireless adapter, or the specific model number on your laptop?

Go to Control Panel >>> Network and Sharing Center >>> Change Adapter Settings (on left column of the window). Do you see your wireless network "Enabled"?

Step5.png

Ensure that when you downgraded to Windows7 Ultimate from Windows8 (sounds like it was on a desktop right?), you reinstalled without formatting the hard drive. Downgrades almost always require this unless you use Partitioning Software such as Partition Magic or other. Unfortunately, when you do this, and you have a name brand desktop such as Dell, HP, Acer, or similar it will ask you to wipe out ALL partitions which you must say "Yes" to. OR IT WILL NOT WORK!

So, prior to performing this destructive downgrade, you should make sure you have Factory Windows Recovery discs for your Windows8 that came with that computer, as it will be gone after your Win7 Ultimate downgrade procedure. If you didn't get Discs that came with your computer, the name brand guys I mentioned all have built-in MEDIA CREATOR or BACKUP MEDIA CREATOR type apps. They are usually in Start-->Programs-->Maintenance, or Start-->Programs-->HP or something similar. In Windows8 you can just search from the Search Charm, but it sounds like you are on Win7 now. This is just in case you have to go back to Win8 to get your wireless back so you can do your Windows work, at least for now.

Lastly, if you had any critical data on that Windows7 Ultimate/Windows8 computer you wish to keep, make sure you BACKUP ALL DATA to an external hard drive, flash drive, or cd/dvd discs FIRST!!!

Since your Linux versions were able to operate the Wifi embedded chip-card, your Windows downgrade wasn't done correctly and the Windows networking files are corrupted and will not work with old or new wireless drivers. It's more complicated than this, but that's why the Computer Stores typically charge $100 for the Win7 downgrade to be done properly.

Good Luck! :blow:

BIGBEARJEDI

Back
Top Bottom