Windows 7 Not Cool, Win7 ... not cool!

Cyber Shaman

I installed my copy of Windows 7 in the second partition of my HDD. I keep my Windows XP in my primary partition (long story short: I'm migrating to Windows 7 but I have a lifetime of work built on my XP system that I can't afford to lose. Thus, Win7 was installed on my system on a purely experimental basis).

What was my surprise when I first booted Win7 and learned THAT IT FREAKIN' SWITCHES THE PARTITIONS TO MAKE ITS PLACE AS C:\ ...

I'm worried that the frequent switches between C: and D: will screw up my HDD MBR. How do I stop Windows 7 from doing it?!

There is nothing to worry about, I hace have the same kind of setup hace for a two years. it is just windows saying that the drive it is on is C drive the same thing happens when I boot to Vista which is on my D Drivve, it is seen as C Drive and the Windows 7 Drive is seen as E Drive,,

I remember that I was surprised when I first installed Windows 7 on my second hard drive back when we were beta testing.
Which ever drive I loaded became the C:\ drive.

Didn't seem to cause any problems though, everything still worked.

I'm not sure that this is still true but at the time logging into XP always removed the Windows 7 restore points.

You might want to check that.

Mike

Mike maybe correct on this about the restore point. I do not know as I turn off restore points, they take up space and do not work well over half the time. This is why I do daily full backups, and weekly full backups. I have a dual boot W7 and Vista.
My D drive in W7 is my C Drive in Vista.
My E drive in Vista is My C drive in Windows 7
Windows will always be on the C Drive
I have this configuration since I started using W7 in RC1, with no problems

The computer does not name the partitions..... Windows does and it always names the partition it boots up from as C:.
Anything else would just confuse the heck out of program installers, UN-Installers, etc.

That's just the way it is.....don't worry about it. Eh?

I have a boot CD that always boots up to a C: prompt (in DOS). It's C: because it's the Boot Disk, no other reason I can think of.

Cheers Mate!
:cool:

Windows always sets the active OS (whichever you boot to) as the C Drive as OldTimer mentions. I believe this has been the way for a very long time, at least since I first dual booted Win 98 with Win XP. This may be just to keep everything orderly, or perhaps just to confuse those of us with gray hair, who knows.

I just had a vision, of a family called "Jones", moving from one place to another.
In the front of their house is an engraved wooden sign saying "The Jones's".
If they move to another house, the sign goes with them and the new house is now "The Jones's".
Different house, same family and the same sign.

What ever drive Windows boots up on will always be drive C: . That's where Windows and most software expects to be.
When someone tries to change that, they are setting themselves up for trouble.
I don't want to go there!

Since the earliest days of Windows, certain conventions were set up to facilitate the safe and effective operation of a PC.
Many of those things are what we lovingly call, "Safe Defaults".
What's it been now, about twenty years? And in that time some things just have not changed.
Oh yes, I've tried to change some things, but every time I did, it came back to bite me in the rear.

Having said that, there are actually a few SAFE DEFAULTS that can be modified, to assist Windows in taking advantage of the hardware it's installed on.

For instance, by default, the Windows Kernel is located on the hard drive and can be accessed there many times per minute as Windows runs. On a slow and fragmented hard drive, this can greatly slow down overall performance.
The Windows programmers DID provide us a means to rectify that problem by changing the registry, to cause the Kernel to load into RAM memory on Bootup. Just making that one little change to the defaults, can GREATLY impact system performance in the positive direction, even if absolutely Nothing Else is done to the PC.

It's a complex subject and as an old Tech, I could go on and on, but I won't.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

O.T. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom