Windows 10 Not downloading updates

IanBrooke

I'm on a new computer which arrived 3 days ago. When I first loaded it Windows Update downloaded and installed a couple of updates without problem, but now it's stuck.
I had 3 outstanding updates: 2021-01 KB4589212 and 2021-03 KB5000802, plus Feature Update to Windows 10 version 20H2 which has its own Download and Install, I tried to install 20H2. The next morning it had an error "We couldn't install this update, but you can try again (0x80244018)".
Restarted computer, checked update, it shows the same 3 Updates 2021-01 KB4589212 and 2021-03 KB5000802, plus of course Feature Update.
Ran Windows Update troubleshooter, it said "service registration is missing or corrupt.....fixed" but nothing changes.
Both the 2021 updates show Downloading 0%, even after hours of waiting.
I use Norton 360, I've tried disabling the firewall but nothing changes.
I see various "solutions" online, some suggest BITS should be automatic, others say manual, I've tried both to no effect. If I set it to auto it eventually returns to manual.
I have no idea what to do now.
Windows update problems have been happening for over 30 years in goodness knows how many different flavours of Windows. To my simple mind it's only a question of download a few files, copy them to the right place, restart, rinse and repeat. Why Microsoft can't make this process bullet-proof is beyond me but it's darned annoying.
Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Many thanks
Ian

Hello Ian, Seeing to your issue you are facing and as you mentioned it is a new pc, I suggest you to update your pc using the Media Creation Tool. along with that download other updates as well like the manufacturer firmware update. By doing this you wont face any issue.

If you face it do let me know further.

Please run the "System File Checker" to check for errors in your PC. This feature is built into Windows.. Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
"Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, do the following as your appropriate:

If you are running Windows 10, Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, first run the inbox Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool prior to running the System File Checker. (If you are running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, skip to Step 3.)

Type the following command, and then press Enter. It may take several minutes for the command operation to be completed.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

When done, in the same CMD type: sfc /scannow (Press Enter)
Wait untill it done! It might find and fix some errors.. Sign Out and REBOOT before using your Pc again..

Back