Windows 7 NTLDR is missing error with dual Boot Windows XP

jawi

Hi, I have severe trouble to get my Windows 7 run as dual boot together with Windows XP. The situation is a little bit complicated: 1. I had my Windows XP installed on harddisk A as primary partition. I saved this installation with Paragon Drive Backup. In error I restored this Windwos XP-Installation on my data HDD B on a primary partition. Then I bought a new harddisk C and installed Windows 7. First, the Windows 7 boot manager worked and presented Windows 7and a second entry that lead me to that XP installation which I restored with Paragon Drive Backup on HDD B. Unfortunately this XP installation asked me to activate again Windows XP, which I did not want to run without Anti-Virus software via Internet. Since the boot management did not give me the opportunaty to run my original Windows XP version, I decided to inactive HDD B with the restored XP-Version. Now the trouble started. When I reboote, the message "NTDLR is missing" I tried out any action possible to get rid of this error but did not succeed: This is what I sofar tried: 1. Startup repair with W7 disc 2. CMD: bootrec /fixmbr and fixboot, rebuildBcd 3. Bootsec/nt60 4. Several Boot Repair options using Paragon Partition Manager 9.5 5. I reinstalled W7 and the bootmanagment was ok. I exported the BCD file. Then I restored my final W7 installation and imported again the BCD-file of the original basically working W7 installation but again "NTDLR was missing"... ...and notihng worked at all! The strange thing is: When I insert my W7 installation CD, the Boot Manager of Windows 7 is displayed and I can start Windwos 7 and also XP. When I put out the W7 CD, "NTDLR is missing" again... I am really fed up with this trouble and do not understand what is happening.... Thanks for any support help about this problem...

I would first unplug HHD B if there is nothing on it. Get that thing out of the picture. Now try to boot again...

Please go step by step. If you start moving things around or taking some other action, the previous posts will be useless.

Back