Windows 8 On EFI systems Win cannot instal on MBR partion table disk only to GPT disks

StefaNafetS

Extraordinary Member
Encountered this problem when trying to install windows: I couldnt install windows in C ,neither to format that partition because of this message [Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks] and an error code 0x0000 smth... while attempting to format the C. I could only manage to instal windows after deleting all of the partitons???? On another install more recently ,even I was having a single c partition, I still couldnt manage to instal my windows there or format it without deleting that system reserve partition, backup one and EFI one.

Is anythink ok in doing that and should I change the partiton table style an reinstalling winodws that way?how?

Also dont know if this has relevance : during the windows installation from disk when I was prompted to choose from where to boot in boot menu there was besides the SATA corp an UEFI one also but I selected to boot from the SATA one? I dont know if it was correct but I managed to install Windows ( ofc after deleting the stuff I mentioned) but now when I entered the boot menu I can only see the SATA one.

I am having a little trouble following where you are exactly, and the mention of C: leads me to believe you already have some type of install on the drive.

A system with a UEFI bios can install Windows 8 as either MBR or UEFI. For the Boot drive, an MBR install requires a MBR configured drive and a UEFI install requires a GPT configured drive, which you probably already know. This means the entire hard drive, not just certain partitions.

If you start with a clean drive, no partitions and the drive considered basically RAW, booting into the UEFI install will convert the drive to GPT then create 3 partitions. The OS will be installed in the space after those 3 partitions. You boot into a UEFI install by using a Boot Device menu and select the UEFI version of the install media. It works this way in most bioses, but some may be set to boot to UEFI only, in which case you need to change the option to install a MBR configuration.

You should also note some install media have problems with UEFI. The DVD made from an .iso file created with the Windows 8 download will not boot into UEFI. The flash drive works on both versions. The Official DVD from Microsoft will boot UEFI, as it should.

How you boot your system after the install is for UEFI, boot the Windows Boot Manger. For an MBR install, you boot the drive.

Hopefully this will help you, but if your situation is not resolved, be a little more specific about where you are and where you need to be in your install.

Maybe it would be more clear if you would tell me what boot options you show in your Boot Device Menu...

After you install using UEFI, there will be two entries for the drive. One will say Windows Boot Manager, which is the install using the UEFI. It will also show the drive itself, which will not boot with a UEFI install because the boot process is not set up to do so.

The different manufacturers are using different methods to set up the UEFI bios, so I cannot say for sure how your system identifies each one.

Attachments

• W8_Flash.gif
    W8_Flash.gif
    27.9 KB · Views: 868
  • W8_DVD.gif
    W8_DVD.gif
    28.4 KB · Views: 770
Back
Top Bottom