Windows 10 Onedrive is gone!

bertie11

Honorable Member
I think I might have/must have removed Onedrive app for my Win 10 HP Envy. Is it possible to get it back again, and how?

Thanks.

Hi, although Onedrive icon shows in the Apps menu and in the Start menu, when I try to start it nothing actually happens. There is no mention of Onedrive in Internet Explorer. THe link you gave me talks about disabling or removing OneDrive. I want to get it back again, but I cannot find anywhere to download for Win 10 HomThe GPedit.msc command didn't work for me!

Another Mike!

Hi

Read the part about how you disable it and see if you can re-enable it by un-clicking the prevent the use of Onedrive box.

I don't seem to find away to install it anyplace, everything just assumes that it's there already.

Are you logging into Windows with your Microsoft account?

I found this on the Super User forum...

I would like to suggest you to please try to reset onedrive application. Here's how:- 1. Press the 'Windows key + R' to open the 'Run' Window. 2. In the Run Window enter the following: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset 3. Click OK. The OneDrive system tray icon on the desktop should disappear and re-appear after a minute or two. 4. If the OneDrive system tray icon does not re-appear after a few minutes, do the following. In the Run Window Enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

After resetting Onedrive , please right click on Onedrive icon from the system tray or from the right bottom of the screen and then click on setting. You can click on Choose folders from where you can check option of the folders which you want to sync with Onedrive applications.

Mike

Ps. It's Windows Explorer, (used to be File Manager) that you should see Onedrive.

Last edited:
Hi

Read the part about how you disable it and see if you can re-enable it by un-clicking the prevent the use of Onedrive box.

I don't seem to find away to install it anyplace, everything just assumes that it's there already.

I would like to suggest you to please try to reset onedrive application. Here's how:- 1. Press the 'Windows key + R' to open the 'Run' Window. 2. In the Run Window enter the following: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset 3. Click OK. The OneDrive system tray icon on the desktop should disappear and re-appear after a minute or two. 4. If the OneDrive system tray icon does not re-appear after a few minutes, do the following. In the Run Window Enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

After resetting Onedrive , please right click on Onedrive icon from the system tray or from the right bottom of the screen and then click on setting. You can click on Choose folders from where you can check option of the folders which you want to sync with Onedrive applications.

Mike

Ps. It's Windows Explorer, (used to be File Manager) that you should see Onedrive.
Hi

Mike

Hi MIke, yes of course my error! It doesn't exist in Explorer or Powerdesk. The icon does not exist in the system tray anyway and I am unable to get past the GPedit,msc command so I can't get into that option.

I've also looked all over the place but while some people have managed to download it I am unable to. I tried the 8.1 version and it started to open the files then nothing more happened. I also logged in to my MS account but nothing different happens. Looked in Task Manager, there is no mention of OneDrive, the same in app history, OneNote is there though. I think OneDrive has gone!

I have tried many clouds and I finished up with iDrive which I am pleased with, I get 5gb for free. I also just got a Windows phone which uses Onedrive and I thought it might be handy to have the laptop talking to it through Onedrive but I suppose it isn't too important.

Did you have OneDrive working before you decided to remove it? Did you follow any special procedure to remove it?

There is a OneDriveSetup.exe file in your User AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\Update folder, have you tried running that? There is also one in the Windows\SysWOW64 folder. Do a search for it to see if anything shows up. There should be an OneDrive.exe file in the OneDrive Folder

Somewhere in this thread you probably mentioned there is no icon on the All Apps of the Start Menu?

Have you tried running the System File Checker? Administrative command Prompt then

SFC /scannow

If you get any errors reported, check back.

You can try running the DISM command to see if it will recover that package, depending on what SFC says or not. We can give you commands.

Yes, it was running just fine. I'm thinking back and I uwas sing Advanced System Pro which updated itself to a new version and I think I may have been trying it out and I suspect I had a rush of blood to my mouse finger!

There are about 8 or so OneDrive.exe files. Several of them do nothing, two of them will start and give me a green progress bar almost to completion with a message 'preparing OneDrive for first use' I think it was but then nothing. It looks like the files are still there though. I also found them also in the .old folder, which would be my Windows 8.1 build. If I click on these it tells me that there is a newer build already installed and did I want to uninstall it. If I said yes to uninstalling the newer version would the old one work and would it offer to update to the Win 10 version?

SFC /scannow just finished with no integrety violations.

Do you still have the referenced software installed? There may be something blocking OneDrive from operating or possibly part of he install has been corrupted.

Do you remember if you removed anything else during your episode? Does the software "Clean" such things as the registry or unused files? Does the Software have a log file or a revert/restore option?

There are log files in the Setup folder of the OneDrive folder, you might check those to see if it indicated any problems. You might also check the event viewer for an error or warning around the time you attempt to start OneDrive.

Can you sign into your OneDrive online through a normal Web page?

Yes it is still installed. What I'm seeing is, as you say, is that the instal is partly corrupted, just my guess of course. Advanced System Care has a 'Powerful' scan option which I expect I must have used. There is also a Rescue tab, but it only lists 5 registry cleanups that might have been relevant. I did pore through looking for signs of OneDrive with no luck but the text was so small I may well have missed something.

Every time I run a setup.exe I seem to be getting a lot more of them generated, There are about a dozen or so now, and it looks like more files are being created after each failed setup. I can't read the log files as they are in .etl format. I looked in the Event Viewer but I never know which section I should be looking in. The ones I did check showed nothing but I may be looking in the wrong place.

Yes, I can get into my OneDrive online through a browser and the same files show up on my Windows phone, also connected to Onedrive. I'm floundering a bit now!

You might try listing the registry changes which were made, but I would probably try restoring them to see if it helps.

The log files I was looking at were not .etl files.

Will that have any detrimental effect on my working system? I'm not aware of any other problems.

Hi

I finally found this location to download an installation file.
You probably have already found this but here it is if you haven't.

https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-GB/download/

I'd delete (cut and paste it to a different location) the OneDrive folder, then run CCleaner, in hopes of getting rid of associated junk and connections, reboot, and then run the install file.

My OneDrive folder is at...

"C:\Users\XXXX XXXXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive"

I don't have any other ideas short of doing a reset of Windows 10, and you probably don't want to do that.

Mike

Thanks for looking MIke, but that is one I had seen earlier but it is for Windows 8.1. The other one is for Win 10 but for business users. And no, I don't want to do a reset! I would rather manage without the program.

Can you copy the registry changes the utility made and put in your response? Maybe we could tell you for sure if one was related to OneDrive.

I've retrieved five registry changes from what I think is the approx. timescale and saved them as .txt but the upload file 'errors' every time I try to upload. Am I using the correct format?

If you pasted them into Notepad and saved as a Text file, it should work. You may have to go to the advanced reply and use the "Upload a file" option.

I remember back around the time Windows 10 was released and some folks using a certain Registry Cleaner were loosing their apps and Start Menu, I believe. It turned out the cleaner was removing specific items from the registry it should not have. But it may not have involved just one app.

Well, I tried More Options then upload fle but I notice a little BLOCK window shows and if I ignore it I then get the error .Of course!

I've used Advanced System Care for several years and I don't remember it doing that. The loss of OneDrive is my doing, I'm sure.

If the OneDrive icon appears in the system tray and then immediately closes, it is usually because it can't find/read/or write to the special folder it has permissions on. Make sure that this folder is not shared with any other cloud file management apps like Google Drive or Dropbox. That being said, here is a way to fix that problem:

Search or Windows Key +R (Run):

Enter:
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\Update

Run:

OneDriveSetup.exe

This should completely reinstall and reset OneDrive.

Hi Mike, sadly the OneDrive icon does not appear in the system tray, I also checked Customise and select which icons appear in the system tray.

I looked for C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\Update but there is no Update folder. I searched my whole C:\ drive but no sign of an Update folder under OneDrive. I had already run all of the OneDrive.exe files that I found. It looks like every time I do that it generates another folder, seems to be a copy of the folder I used the .exe file from!

Is it feasible for the Update folder that I need, complete with all necessary files to be sent to me? Failing that, if I attempt to install OneDrive 8.1 I'm told that I already have a newer version installed. It asked if I want to uninstall the newer version (v10) in order to install 8.1. Can I do that and get MS Update to take me back to v10?

Back
Top Bottom