Windows 7 Optiarc DVDRWBD BC-5600S Causes computer to lockup

Daniel_Hatcher

Ok, I've tried everything I know but nothing seems to help, so I'm going to ask here.

I have a DELL STUDIO M1737 with an OPTIARC DVDRWBD BC-5600S the problem I'm having is whenever I insert a disk into it, the whole of explorer.exe locks-up, even clicking it, and properties with not disk in it and the computer locks-up, then I have to wait 15-20 minutes before it actually performs the option I clicked, or for the disk options to show up.

The drive worked perfectly in VISTA just does not in Windows7 does anyone have any ideas.

/sign

same problem and no solution

i tried two solutions - both don t worked

one solution was to delete the upper and lower filter in the registry
don t worked

the other was to ensure the ahci mode of the drive in bios and registry
don t worked

and i found no solution in the forums

need help

thanks

No offense, but you didn't mention what you tried. that would have been helpful in solving your problem.

Did you use this drive to install Windows 7.

In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it.
Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32. then expand the Components tree and choose a device
Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it.
Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

Was this a "clean" install or an upgrade.

Is it the official RC directly from MS?

It was the official RC, however, I gave up in the end and uninstalled it.

That said, yes the drive did install Windows 7, it even works perfectly in VISTA, just never worked in Windows 7.

i installed windows 7 with this cd drive but when windoes 7 starts i was unable to install software with the cd drive because the problem with freezing occured

it s the official rc build 7100

it s a clean install (x64)

and the drive worked in vista , the win 7 beta and win7 rc safe mode but not on normal mode

there are no yellow falgs
if i uninstall the cd driver and windows reinstall automatically then windows say best driver found ...

msinfo32 says

Drive G:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type DVD Writer
Name Optiarc DVDRWBD BC-5600S ATA Device
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate -1.00 kbytes/sec
SCSI Target ID 0
PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMOPTIARC_DVDRWBD_BC-5600S________________107B____\5&170032F4&0&1.0.0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (6.1.7100.13, 144,00 KB (147.456 bytes), 13.05.2009 08:24)

edit:
somehow i think the the pnp device id should start with SCSI\ instead of IDE\

Last edited:
The difference between SATA and IDE is just the cable connects, although SATA us mush faster.

Since it's a IDE drive, see if the jumper is set too cable Select.. If so, change it to Master or Slave.

If that's nit the case, try changing jumpers fro Master to Slave or Slave to Master depending on how it's setup

Also, look over the threads at the bottom of this page from references to the CD/DVD Rom issues.

BTW, how old is your computer?

it s a laptop so i can t check the jumpers

in bios the correct settings are ahci mode for the drive

i ordered my laptop jauary this year

yes i tried the new and old firmware both don t work
and the dell support can t help me

edit:
my girlfriend has almoste the same laptop but another dvd drive (
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A)

and windows 7 rc works fine

so the problem can online be the blu ray drive optiarc bc-5600s

Last edited:
Optiarc DVD-RW

Hi
My first post so bear with me. I`m having the same problem, using RC7100 on Dell 530 quad core.
Downloaded an installed all pertinent Dell drivers without success, but one thing I discovered is the problem "Explorer locking up" only happens when I use a CD. DVD`s work fine in both WMP an Media Center. Only discovered this last night so haven`t had time to investigate, would be curious to know if this applies to your situation.

salut;
Bob

Bob,

Hello and welcome,

Was this a "clean" install or an upgrade?
Is it the official RC from MS?
32-bit or 64-bit?
Were you offered drivers from Windows Update?
What was the exact error message you received when trying to install drivers?

Optiarc DVD-RW

Hi
Sorry about that had one foot out the door when I posted.
It was a clean install of windows 7100 RC x64, from microsoft.
The Dell drivers loaded just fine, what I meant by "without success"
was it did not fix the "explorer lockup" problem.The intel driver you posted looks interesting, will try it tonight and report. What I wanted to know was has anybody tried audioCD vs DVD`s.

Appreciate your reply
Bob

i located the problem

the service called "power" is the problem if it s running the cdrom drive doesn t work if the service is disabled the sound is unavailible

so i have the choice between cdrom drive or sound -.-

Optiarc DVD-RW

i located the problem

the service called "power" is the problem if it s running the cdrom drive doesn t work if the service is disabled the sound is unavailible

so i have the choice between cdrom drive or sound -.-

Good Man
Now where might we find this evil called "power"

Thanks
Bob

Good call by Gerhard87

But if you disable power, your computer will not go to sleep, or turn the hard drives or network adapter off, etc.

you can locate the Power service by going to Start > Run, and type services.msc

Scroll down the list until you find power, select it , right click and choose properties, then set it to Disabled.

I'm not recommending this as a fix, but copy and paste this post into Notepad so you can enable it again.

Back