Windows 7 Optiarc DVDRWBD BC-5600S Causes computer to lockup

Optiarc DVD-RW

Well ,no luck, tried the power scheme and it shuts off the USB hardware (Tascam 1641 Soundcard)
Tried high performance mode no difference. Still cannot play audio CD, shuts down Explorer requiring a
reboot.
On the positive side I downloaded an installed the" SHARKEY007" suggested in an earlier post by Reghakr,
this really cleaned up my audio by launching WMP in x64 mode,thanks Reghark for that.
Still would like to know if anyone with Optiarc dvd-rw would try audio cd vs. DVD. Find it strange that I can play DVD`s without a problem but not CD`s.Back to the drawing board.
Thanks Everyone
Bob

I found out that disabling the Power service lets your computer turn off the monitor an to sleep but it won't wake up by clicking the mouse button or any key on the keyboard.

I had to hit the Power burton to Restart.

i think you have another problem,

my solution is for the optiarc bc-5600s bluray drive and windows 7 rc
I have the same Optiarc-drive in my HP Pavilion dv7-1199 laptop. With Vista I had no problems, now W7 x64 RC build 7100 clean install, my computer don´t let me play Blu-Ray disks. It simply don´t find the disk; DVD´s OK, but when I insert a Blu-Ray disk and start any DVD/BD player (have tried almost everything from Nero ShowTime to PowerDCD), my computer tells me "No disk in drive".

So I´m interested to hear if you can play Blu-Ray, and if so, what software player you use?

Kari

Kari,

Did you HP come with that drive, or did you add it?
It came with this drive. Like I said, I had no problems with Vista x64 Ultimate. Now it seems that I´ve spend a lot of money for nothing, buying over 40 Blu-Ray films in a couple of months. With Vista I watched them from my laptop´s drive, connected to a big Full-HD television through HDMI. Look´s like I have to buy a Blu-Ray player if I want to enjoy my films.

Did you say 40?:eek: I've bought 3 in a month.

Is this a n upgrade install or a "clean' install?

My HP came with Cyberlink DVD Play HD Blue-ray.

I had the 32-bit version and it worked fine.

Do you have HDMI and optical outs for your TV?

Did you say 40?:eek: I've bought 3 in a month.

Is this a n upgrade install or a "clean' install?

My HP came with Cyberlink DVD Play HD Blue-ray.

I had the 32-bit version and it worked fine.

Do you have HDMI and optical outs for your TV?

Clean install. HP laptops are shipped with a program called Quickplay (made by Cyberlink), which played Blu-Rays just fine in Vista.

Yes, I have optical, DVI and HDMI.

I´ve Googled "Windows 7 Blu-Ray" and read everything I´ve found. It seems there´s one common thing in every forum post in every forum I read about disfunctioning Blu-Ray playback in W7. It´s always been a clean install. So, what do you guys think about this idea of mine: Restoring factory defaults by using my laptops integrated "System Recovery". Then control that Vista really plays my Blu-Rays like before, and then installing W7 but this time doing upgrade.

Clean install. HP laptops are shipped with a program called Quickplay (made by Cyberlink), which played Blu-Rays just fine in Vista.

How did you get the Cyberlink software on your Windows 7 installation if it was a "clean" install?

How did you get the Cyberlink software on your Windows 7 installation if it was a "clean" install?
Originally, factory defaults, my laptop had a folder called "SWSetup" (image 1). There I found installation files for all the drivers and bundle software (audio, video, LAN & WLAN, fingerprint reader, Adobe Reader, Cyberlink DVD Suite, Quickplay, MsWorks etc., image 2). Because I wanted to use Vista Ultimate instead of Home Premium my computer was shipped with, I copied this software setup folder to my external backup-HD before formatting C: and installing Ultimate. Then I simply installed all the drivers and bundled software from this software setup folder, which now was located in a safe place in a external HD.

With W7 I did the same.

So now I have a lot of options. I can do a complete system recovery, restore my computer as it was when shipped from factory. I do not like to do that because original operating system was Vista Home Premium in German. I live and work in Germany, but my German language is not so good. Anyway, I can also install English Vista Ultimate, which I bought separately, and use my computer in my working language English, or download Finnish language pack and use it in my mother tongue Finnish. If I do this, I could use all the original drivers and bundle software (to my surprise, all the drivers and software were multilingual, letting me to choose installation language, so this change of operating system language is not a problem).

But I´d rather use Windows 7. I´ve used it now for a couple of weeks and I am very happy with it. Chipset, audio, video, fingerprint reader and all the other drivers from this Vista x64 software setup folder work fine with W7, as well as all bundled software. The one and only problem is Blu-Ray playback.

Image 1:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Image 2:

Last edited:
Originally, factory defaults, my laptop had a folder called "SWSetup" (image 1). There I found installation files for all the drivers and bundle software (audio, video, LAN & WLAN, fingerprint reader, Adobe Reader, Cyberlink DVD Suite, Quickplay, MsWorks etc., image 2). Because I wanted to use Vista Ultimate instead of Home Premium my computer was shipped with, I copied this software setup folder to my external backup-HD before formatting C: and installing Ultimate. Then I simply installed all the drivers and bundled software from this software setup folder, which now was located in a safe place in a external HD.

NICE job, that's what I was thinking, only all my software and drivers were located under the C:\program Files\Hewlett-Packard directory and I copied those as well.

One thing you should not have done , however is install the drivers without looking for Windows 7 drivers first,.

One thing you should not have done , however is install the drivers without looking for Windows 7 drivers first,.
I know. But HP´s support offers drivers only for Vista, so I figured I use them, until I´ll find W7 drivers online. Until now the only driver I´ve found & updated to a W7 driver is for video.
(GeForce Release 186)

I don´t know what to do. I would like to watch my Blu-Ray movies using my laptops BD-drive. It should work, but no. Just a moment ago I downloaded Cyberlinks Blu-Ray & HD DVD Advisor, which checks if your computer is capable to play Blu-Ray. All lights are green, should be no problems.

Please guys, somebody have a clue?

Last edited:
Have you checked your drive to see if it works with CD's or can you try to burn a DVD movie to see if the DVD drive is recognized correctly?

Regarding the updates, HOP is not going to release any Windows 7 drivers until after RTM.

But, it may be up to Cyberlink to provide you with updated software that works with Windows 7.

When I was having problems with my sound, I emailed Cyberlink and never got a response. I assume they want you to contact HP only regarding the software. And HP supports sucks. I will never buy another HP, the only reason I got this one was a 35% discount.

Last edited by a moderator:
I´ve Googled "Windows 7 Blu-Ray" and read everything I´ve found. It seems there´s one common thing in every forum post in every forum I read about disfunctioning Blu-Ray playback in W7. It´s always been a clean install. So, what do you guys think about this idea of mine: Restoring factory defaults by using my laptops integrated "System Recovery". Then control that Vista really plays my Blu-Rays like before, and then installing W7 but this time doing upgrade.

OK, yesterday was raining and I had nothing better to do, so it was time to test my theory.

I made a fresh, clean install of Vista Ultimate, of course backing first up my data. Went through all the updates, service pack etc.. Then I checked that my Optiarc BD-drive really worked by having a couple of beers with Will Smith´s "I am Legend". Blu-Ray worked, had no problems.

Then W7 installation, this time upgrade instead of clean install. First boot, and Blu-Ray works (see the image)!

I´m happy, my only problem with W7 is solved.

That's good news.

Now I realize that Windows 7 does not have the correct drivers and this is one time where an upgrade has worked successfully.

Enjoy your Blue-rays, they are exceptional.:)

DVD rom locking up PC

I just bought a Dell Studio Laptop Model 1737 with windows vista,I clean installed Windows 7
and when I went to use my DVD player it was really slow in responding.I even tried getting into the properties and that took forever.I go to Device manager and it shows up there,it says all drivers are up to date.There are no yellow flags.I have uninstalled the device and re-installed it and that didn't work,I have checked the bios and everything seems to be ok there.Hopefully there is a solution to this,everywhere i look on the net doesnt get me any results.

Hello and welcome,

Have you tried a variety of Cd Roms and DVD's?

Does an audio CD bring up any player when you insert it?

Did this happen immediately after install?

have you tried burning a CD or DVD?

Optiarc locking up

I only have 1 cd-rom and whenever I put in a DVD/Blu-ray or CD it locks up my computer.I can get into the properties of the device but it takes a while to load.I managed to get a file off of 1 of my discs and the speed it was downloading to my pc was extremely slow,way slower than when I did the same thing in Vista.I have rolled back the driver and that didnt seem to work.The rom shows up when I boot the system but then it disappears from My Computer and the Device Manager.

Back