Windows 7 Outlook 2007 won't start since upgrade

tmgarvey

I just upgraded from Vista Home Premium (32-bit) to Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit). All available updates have been installed, including all Office updates.

I cannot get Outlook 2007 to run. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook. It will not start in regular or in safe mode. There are two errors I have been getting when I attempt to start Outlook--one is a "memory could not be read" error, and the other says that the windows common shell dll stopped working.
I haven't been able to find any info about this issue. I will call Microsoft support this evening, but I thought I would see if there are any suggestions in the meantime.

Maybe there is a problem with where you data is stored. Try running it in compatibility mode to Vista to see if it helps. Since Outlook 2007 runs fine in Win 7, you should be able to get back to a normal operation eventually.

There is also a compatibility troubleshooter tool you might run, right click on outlook in the start menu.

hi I had this issue, right click the outlook icon, run the compatability wizard, I chose XP SP2 option and now its fine, had to hunt for all my contacts and old emails, but it found them all...bless it :)

Thanks, I will try that. Seems odd that you would have to run something like Outlook 2007 in compatibility mode, but odd things sometimes happen when you do stuff like upgrades. I'll give it a shot when I get home. It was running just fine under Vista.

Back