Windows 7 "permission to modify files in this network location"

smanisca

when trying to save files, any files from firefox or any internet application to my desktop i receive the error:

"You don't have permission to modify files in this network location

please contact your system administrator"

The first time it downloads a Zero size file, but the second time it will correctly download

this is my computer, so i have access to all setting, but i cannot figure out how to remove this warning.

please help, thank you

That's strange,

Double-click on Your users file on the desktop, right-click on Desktop, choose properties and make sure your user name has Full Control checked.

What type of network are you running?

I have the exact same problem, and boy is it annoying.
Is there a known fix for this yet? I tried the "take ownership" things but they aren't consistently working. The error just comes back after a while....

Not using beta or RC or anything, 7600.

Any luck with this??? I have the exact same problem.. Although not only with internet apps; anything that requires saving files.

Does anyone have acronis true image installed by any chance?? I think it started after i installed it

Hello everybody,
I discovered how to fix this problem,
First you must go to C:\Users\ and then click right click on folder "Your user name" and choose propreties

2q00v2d.jpg

and go to security tab and click Edit then click Add => Advanced...

mtl6h0.jpg

If you click on advanced now click on Find Now and choose Everyone and click Ok

2q02jih.jpg

Then again click Ok
And now click on Full control => Ok

2s7ig3n.jpg

That's all

Enjoy...

That error occurs because of Eset. If you upgrade your Eset to last version, annoying security error will not annoy anymore..

I've been downloading pictures to use as desktop backgrounds for years using XP, Vista and now Win7. I've never seen anything like that before. So I tried to get mine to come up with that error message.

First I saved 10 pictures to a special test file I set up for this purpose. Then I saved 8 more pictures to my desktop.

They came from Caedes Desktop Backgrounds and I used Firefox 3.6.3. I'm using Win7 v 7100.

Then I tried saving another 10 pictures to my desktop using IE8.

I've been using Eset products for over 4 years now. I am currently using Eset Smart Security v4.0.467.0.

I never got that error message.

The last Eset version:
ESET Smart Security 4
Microsoft® Windows® 7/Vista/XP/2000
Version: 4.0.474, File size: 35.42 MB,

And changelog from Link Removed due to 404 Error
November 25, 2009 - 4.0.467—4.0.474
ESET Smart Security 4
Fix: Error logs are generated while the personal firewall is disabled after every reboot of the PC
Fix: Problems after PC restart when firewall system integration is in "Only scan application protocols" mode
Fix: Anti-spam boot failure when "Folder Redirection" is set on Windows Server
Fix: Scheduler task is not displaying scan targets
Fix: Graphic User Interface crash when making changes in the exclusions in the spam list
Fix: Slow opening of Office documents from a Windows 2003 server share
Fix: Intermittent error when saving files on Windows 7
Other minor fixes and improvements..

I had that security error and upgraded the latest version. Now no error like that.

The last Eset version:
ESET Smart Security 4
Microsoft® Windows® 7/Vista/XP/2000
Version: 4.0.474, File size: 35.42 MB,
Thanks. Even though I didn't have the problem I now have the latest Version of ESS. It's always good to stay updated.

I know this is a bit if an old thread, but it seems to deal with the exact problem I'm having, yet none of the solutions provided work for me.

I'm getting the same error as the original poster. I tried the suggestion of giving myself permissions for everything. My difference is this. I do NOT have Nod32. I just installed Win7 Ultimate after my RC version told me I have 2 weeks to replace it. I did a fresh install to a brand new partition that I'd been saving for just this time so there shouldn't be any interference from my old install.

After the install finished I loaded up IE just long enough to download Opera. I got the error right then. I hadn't even done so much as changed my desktop wallpaper by this time. I get the error with IE and with Opera. If it was just IE I wouldn't care since I rarely use it. I did install AVG Free, but was having this issue before that.

Is there another solution to this problem other than "update to latest Nod32"?

So far this is all I've installed other than Win7 Ultimate and roughly in this order as well.

Opera 10.0
Nvidia Geforce drivers 196.34
Sound Blaster drivers 2.18.0013
EVGA Precision 1.9.1
Acrobat 9.3
Winrar 3.80
Daemon Tools 4.35
Spybot S&D 1.62
AVG free 9.40
Steam (nothing installed through it yet)

The only other option I can think of is to install NOD32, then uninstall it.

Thanks all for any help you can provide, I'll be sure to check back soon.

Back