Windows 10 Poor Start Screen Design. No option for 4 Columns on Start Screen?

Yui714

I'm very disappointed in the customization options in Windows 8-10.
Firstly, users have to use third-party software to post their own tiles.. which is like using third-party software to make the modern equivalent of icons and shortcuts. No wonder normal users never liked the Start Screen which looks terrible by default. This seems like the most obvious inclusion for a Start Screen and it boggles my mind how Windows has neglected it.. for years now and three different versions of Windows.
If implemented properly the OS could even offer a database of tiles from the internet for users to choose from and really improve the GUI of all their devices. A huge missed opportunity. Creating custom icons has been a part of Windows from the beginning and it should be a part of it even more so now (rather than less) when graphical representation of software is 310x310 pixels in size.

Secondly, you can't change the width of columns on the Windows 10 Start Screen to 4 (up from 3), but you can do this on the Windows Phone and the Start Menu. Another obviously neglected feature. 3 columns in width makes for terrible balance and appearance when the best looking tiles are 2 columns wide. You're either stuck with more wasted space or an ugly balance. It seems obvious that the Start Screen would enable users to set the number of columns instead of being forced to use what may be the worst number possible.

Does anyone know of any third-party tools or possible future updates that will finish the Start Screen that Windows started to develop?
I made this post for two reasons:
- Notify Microsoft of its shortcomings in hopes that they improve their OS for everyone (including themselves)
- In hopes that someone may have a solution for adding a fourth column onto the Windows 10 Start Screen.

(Better StartMenu is a piece of third-party software which acts as an inconvenient but necessary and functional fix for custom tiles.)

As a final note I'll quickly bring up how Superfetch slows down every Windows 10 OS PC I've worked on, how its function is unnecessary, and how it has to be manually disabled on every device for a speed boost. I understand its function and that it is only supposed to use unused resources, but the fact remains that significantly slows down PC's regardless. Perhaps its function works on desktops used only for web browsing and document processing and not those with larger applications and applications working in the background?
I want Windows to be a good OS people can be proud to use, not an OS that does the bare minimum. The three subjects I mentioned should be no-brainer fixes to complete the OS.

Well first off if you want Microsoft to see this post you should post it on Microsoft's site. This site isn't associated with Microsoft. Next, you can have four groups of icons in separate columns you just need to click on the edge of the start menu and drag it out and you can have as many rows as you want. As soon as you hit the bottom you will get a scroll bar. Superfetch is a proactive memory management component so it's constantly trying to clean out memory of the least used data and learns how you use a system to load more and works with the prefetcher to preload what you use more often. I highly doubt this is slowing your system down, or you may think the system is slow because it hasn't learned yet or prefetched any data.

I was unaware that Microsoft wasn't involved in this website, thank you.
For clarification though, I was speaking of the Start Screen and not the Start Menu.

Start Menu is the menu that pops out of the bottom-left of the screen.
Start Screen is the menu that fills the entire screen (previous known as the Metro UI).
- 4 columns would allow 2 wide or large tiles beside each other.
- Better StartMenu is the application used for custom icons.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 435
Just to clarify it's still called the Start Menu, even in in Windows 8-8.1 it just fills the entire screen.

Back