Windows 7 Poor video quality

Update: When I changed my MPC settings to EVR, it resolved my issue. Not with WinTV though, which only seems able to use either VMR7 or 9.
Also, when I change back to VMR Renderless, it gives me an error that it can't find the D3Dx9 dll. I remember getting the same error message while installing Hauppauge WinTV. Soooo, since my Nvidia 7300 card, is a DX9 card, the problem seems to be lie in the combination of my configuration, Windows 7, a DX9 card, Nvidia drivers.

Last edited:
Wow, ok...

This is truly peculiar, and I think it may be indicative that the problem is in a *completely* different area than anything previously mentioned.. I just went to batch resize a bunch of jpgs with irfanview 4.25 using the built-in lanczos filter.. and it did the exact same thing to the images saved to the disk that it does to images it renders from a video file or stream.. introduced a bunch of crazy blocky artifacts that didn't exist before it messed with them. I guess it's possible that program somehow uses vmr or 3d hardware to speed up the conversion process, but it seems pretty unlikely to me that that would be the case.. instead, whatever math it AND video programs or rendering schemes like VMR ask the processor to do for scaling/resizing somehow seems to get monkeyed with by the windows kernel. *****in nuts! :confused:

Last edited:
On that line

That provided me with an idea for what I thought would be a truly simple test, I tried resizing a few images individually with the same result, so then I created a new empty image file with a grey background, so I could see what happens when I resize it. However, I didn't have to resize it for it to get screwed up; it is CREATED with a sort of grid pattern instead of a completely solid color, and you can zoom in on this grid, or crop to a few squares, though if you resize the image, it becomes a smaller grid pattern with faint differences from the old, giant grid pattern. It's not a quirk of the desktop's rendering, because the squares move around the screen with the window. I'm going to have to save one of those files and then reboot into Vista to see if it is *actually* a different file than what it creates there, and not just that I can't view it correctly in 7.. still WTH?????????

edit: here's what it looks like when I create a single-color image, resize it to fit desktop and then use a fill tool with a threshold of 1 (threshold of 0-0.8 only fills a dot or two)
thegrid.jpg

Last edited:
One more thing

I found that GIMP appears to be capable of creating a single-color image which is actually a single solid color, but this changes if any of the scaling functions are used to change the size of the image or a selection, when it introduces the same weird artifacts that the other rescaling and video playing functions have.

For what it's worth, guess it does

If I understand correctly, ATI's "Avivo" and NVIDIA's "Purevideo" offload some encoding, decoding, and transcoding graphics capabilities, so maybe both those programs are optimized to take advantage of it, in which case that's where the problem lies; either in the drivers or the way windows 7 uses them for that interface is broken somehow.

Did you install the Windows 7 driver from Nvidia or the latest Vista driver? I've heard some other people having problems with Nvidia's Windows 7 driver as well... try installing the latest Vista driver and see if that helps.. I'm using an ATI card and all my videos look amazing on Win 7... You could also (if you haven't already) try using a different player then WMP.. VLC works very good in Win 7....;) Also there is a new version of Divx out, that might help too...

I too have heard of nvidea problems with Win7. I had absolutely zero problems with my ATI 4770 card. It also has amazing video and speed.

Not just NVIDIA..

I have a Radeon HD 4850 exhibiting these problems. Just updated to last weeks catalyst, same as all before. It *is* worth noting that VLC was just as bad as all the others when I originally posted, but has since been updated and now displays correctly. So it's a problem that can be fixed, and whatever software you're using just has to be pressured to do so.

Hi,
I've been experimenting the same problem of "pixelling" both with a RADEON X1900Gt and an HD3870..not solved it neither downloading all possible codec packages ( ccp, sharks 007) neither forcing the pc to use only the fddshow instead of the windows codecs neither updating my samsung monitor's drivers (or firmware, whatever) neither using a lot of other different mediaplayers, f.i. vlc, kmp, gom..
i've been trying to solve this for something like 5 days or more, trying everything, from restoring the pc to different restore points to formatting it, thinking i may have done something wrong (i'm a newy, not expert like you guys), but nothing gives me back the same high quality i used to have when using xp, not even remotely...
other info i can add, my motherboard is an ASUS P5PL2E... just hope to help somehow in solving the problem..

Yeah..

That was just a wild guess since I happened to look it up (when deciding whether to D/L avivo converter in addition to catalyst update), I have no idea how it works, if apps have to be coded specifically to use it, or if it's a core component of the driver which can't entirely be disabled (I know it does some on the overlay display, but dunno if that's all it ever does)

It's definitely not just NVIDIA, or just ATI. I have a quad core AMD here with an ATI card, and an intel Core2 with Nvidia graphics in my notebook; they do things identically. I really wonder whether the people seeing no problems are just somehow failing to notice them (can't see how that would be POSSIBLE :p), actually not experiencing these problems on their machine, or just happen to be using software that works correctly, as it only seems to affect some programs.

So effin' weird!

Well, like many others on here, I signed up just to denote that I'm having the same issues with my system running Win7Pro x64 on an Asus P5E mobo and NVIDIA GeForce 8600GTS card. I have tried every single thing listed in this entire thread as well to no avail. I am beyond befuddled at how something like this can go so long with no actual diagnosis (I've been posting on several other forums for many months as well with no answer to date).

After spending the last 4 months on this--which included updating directX 4 months ago when that latest runtime was released--I finally have managed to get slingplayer to look halfway decent, by: running in compatibility mode for XP, disabling desktop composition (i.e. Aero effects), disabling VMR9 but not disabling VMR. No one of those things had any effect whatsoever, but all of them together actually worked FINALLY. Still wouldn't say "the problem is solved," but at least I have one program usable..

Probably just owing to my crappy graphics card (installed 7 on a Dell D630), but turning off transparency has solved my much-lamented DivX problem! Yey! Now I can go and cry at the fact I just reinstalled Windows because I thought I'd screwed up the registry.... :(

video won't play

Hi I am a newbee but have just built my own windows 7 64 bit system with 8gb Ram, gigabyte p55 ud4 board and asus eah4350 graphics card. Unfortunately when video plays, including commercial dvd's, and video i have filmed myself the quality is so bad on playback it is unwatchable. They look very black with hardly any detail. Commercial dvd's will only play sound. This is on a d sub connection to my benq hdmi monitor. When i use the hdmi connector the situation is the same except the picture has a black border round it as well. Photos and normal images are perfect. Oh Youtube videos won't even show - just image placeholders. The video programs i have installed are serif movie plus and dvd fab. Is this a problem with codecs. If so anyone any ideas - if not can anyone help. I built this machine as a movie editny unit and so far it's failed at this job!

Thanks for the suggestion about downloading latest k lite codec pack. I have now tried this - first with the 32 bit mega version and then the 64 bit version. Unfortunately it has made no difference and i still can't play dvd's with picture or other vid files including youtube. Any more help very gratefully received. Thanks.

I think it has to do something with your codecs.
Install a codec pack (like ffdshow or whatever) Look for something called win7dsfiltertweaker on the net, and change the codecs wmp uses to play the videos.

not old enough drivers available

I don`t know were we can report a bug, but this problem can be found on Windows XP SP3 too. (I`ve heard that there are some people who have had this problem on Windows Vista, but they fixed it with a video driver update)

Guess what....I changed my driver with the original on the CD (ATI 8.450.0.0) and all works as it should.
I`ve tried 9.4,9.3 and doen`t work , i will try newer versions because the driver on the cd is created in 2007 and i will find a newer one.
But the solution for the moment is to change the driver to an old one.

9.1 works too.

Another one joining in just to fix this annoyance. Running a new computer on Win7 with ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500, have tried multiple players, changing settings, and downloading codecs. Also downgraded the ATI driver but that didn't help. The earliest drivers available for my HW are from Jan 2008 (and those only for Vista) so can't go back as far as you (2007?)...Any solutions to this problem since? What should I try next?

This is indeed extremely irritating as I've bought a new computer for entertainment use, which consist mostly of watching media files. Seems I cannot do that :mad:

Another one joining in just to fix this annoyance. Running a new computer on Win7 with ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500, have tried multiple players, changing settings, and downloading codecs. Also downgraded the ATI driver but that didn't help. The earliest drivers available for my HW are from Jan 2008 (and those only for Vista) so can't go back as far as you (2007?)...Any solutions to this problem since? What should I try next?

This is indeed extremely irritating as I've bought a new computer for entertainment use, which consist mostly of watching media files. Seems I cannot do that :mad:

I have pretty much exactly the same problem.
Spec.
ATI HD 5770
ASUS M4A785D-M
Phenom II x4 955 3,2 ghz
DirectX 11

Brand new computer running Win 7 64-bit. Tried both Catalyst 10.2 and 10.3. Games work just fine, but the video on various players and codecs is all pixelated or grainy. It lagged quite alot in an action sequence on a 720p video. I have tried changing the output mode without success.

Has a solution emerged anywhere?

Pretty much just bumping this thread. Still no solution to this extremely annoying problem? I've now tried old ATI drivers as well, no success. :(

Back
Top Bottom