Windows 7 Poor video quality

zurih

Hey,
Anyone maybe noticed poor video quality after installing Windows 7?
It's more fuzzy and like little blocks in videos.
I tested the same videos under Windows XP and they look great.

Have installed the latest NVIDIA drivers but it didn't help.

Any suggestions of that would it be?

Thanks

Did you install the Windows 7 driver from Nvidia or the latest Vista driver? I've heard some other people having problems with Nvidia's Windows 7 driver as well... try installing the latest Vista driver and see if that helps.. I'm using an ATI card and all my videos look amazing on Win 7... You could also (if you haven't already) try using a different player then WMP.. VLC works very good in Win 7....;) Also there is a new version of Divx out, that might help too...

Last edited:
Also remember "BETA" comes after the windows 7 name so it may just be a matter of time until they come out with a decent driver for your card.

I haven't tried video files, per say, but I do notice that my TV through Media Center is lower quality.
I was trying to find the Video Codecs in Device Manager to adjust it, but they are no longer listed with the other sound and video devices (audio codecs also don't show there anymore).

Anyone know if they are accessable somewhere else?

Did you install the Windows 7 driver from Nvidia or the latest Vista driver? I've heard some other people having problems with Nvidia's Windows 7 driver as well... try installing the latest Vista driver and see if that helps.. I'm using an ATI card and all my videos look amazing on Win 7... You could also (if you haven't already) try using a different player then WMP.. VLC works very good in Win 7....;) Also there is a new version of Divx out, that might help too...

hi,
could you tell me which ati drivers you use? are you using the windows 7 beta ones?

Because I got an ATI HD 4870 and use the Windows 7 Beta Drivers and I have really poor video quality as well amongst all video players. they are just really blurry if you watch them full screen. I tried installing the "old" vista drivers for ati, but ati installer doesn't finish the installation (it just keeps "gathering system information" forever), don't know why.

everything worked fine using vista and the problem occurs in every video player, so it's either a windows 7 problem or an ati-driver problem. When I switch to OpenGL-video output in vlc media player the video looks fine but lags A LOT on fullscreen

regards

PS: I use the 64bit version of windows 7 which seems to have more issues than the x86 version, maybe this only occurs on x64?

PPS: Can't be a codec problem since vlc ships with all the codecs, it doesn't care at all what codecs you have or havn't installed on your system.

Last edited:

I tried VLC, WINAMP, WMP, and almost every other player there is... same issue...
I also tried to install the latest vista nvidia drivers, and it didn't seem to help on anything....

I use k-lite codec.
Do you have anything different do offer maybe?

If ffdshow doesn't help then ignore my comment about codecs, from your description is sounds like macroblock decoding went awry. However, if it isn't decoding, then it must be rendering. Is the DirectX the "stock" directX ?

1. Right-click on Computer
2. Select Properties from the context menu
3. Click Advanced System Settings on left
4. Click Environment Variables
5. Click New
6. In the variable name put devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
7. In the variable value put 1
8. Click Ok three times

Now go to Device Manager and Go to View and click show hidden Devices. See If that helps with the codecs

If ffdshow doesn't help then ignore my comment about codecs, from your description is sounds like macroblock decoding went awry. However, if it isn't decoding, then it must be rendering. Is the DirectX the "stock" directX ?

Yeah I haven't touched DirectX. When I run dxdiag it says I have DirectX 11 installed.

And also tried installing ffdshow, still same poor quality...
what a hell is going on here...

havn't touched directx as well and I am using ffdshow ...
I tried iroken's tip but it didn't change anything. I noticed that when I close the device manager and restart it, "show hidden devices" isn't clicked anymore.

I upgraded from windows vista instead of installing a fresh windows 7, maybe that has something to do with it?

oh and btw: what is ffdshow and is there a way to re-install it? maybe that helps but I don't even know what it is, just that I have it :D

regards

Edit: Noticed something strange ... I uninstalled all codecs on my pc and installed the newest version of ffdshow tryouts. But when I play a video in vlc no ffdshow icon appears in my superbar - isn't it supposed to?
Then again, I don't know if vlc uses ffdshow
Is there any other version I should try or any setting in ffdshow that needs to be activated in particular?

PS: Like I said before, OpenGL works "fine" regarding the quality of the video, it's only blurry when using directx ... so maybe it's related to DX11?

Last edited:
oh and btw: what is ffdshow and is there a way to re-install it? maybe that helps but I don't even know what it is, just that I have it :D

ffdshow = Free open source codecs based on ffmpeg, very highly rated.

PS: Like I said before, OpenGL works "fine" regarding the quality of the video, it's only blurry when using directx ... so maybe it's related to DX11?

Didn't take long to get to the crux of the matter, DirectX

1. Right-click on Computer
2. Select Properties from the context menu
3. Click Advanced System Settings on left
4. Click Environment Variables
5. Click New
6. In the variable name put devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
7. In the variable value put 1
8. Click Ok three times

Now go to Device Manager and Go to View and click show hidden Devices. See If that helps with the codecs
Thanks, but they still don't show up.

Several things did, mostly Microsoft Streaming ... Proxy stuff.

btw, another thing I just noticed is that the videos show perfectly fine when showing them in their normal resolution. They are only messed up on fullscreen (kind of like a picture gets really blurry when you zoom it)

I use Winfast PVR2, which by default uses VMR9 rendering. Looks like absolute ass, quite frankly. However, when I switch it to Overlay rendering, it looks far, far better - at the price of killing Aero off. This also gives me no wallpaper until I reboot. Very odd.

I have full 1080P videos playing flawlessly on my install. I am running 64 bit Windows 7, using Media Player Classic, VLC, and PowerDVD Ultra. DXVA hardware acceleration is working fine as well. It sounds like you are having codec issues possibly. Do you have a sample video that looks terrible on your computer that you could point us to, so we can see if we can replicate the problem?

I use k-lite codec.
Do you have anything different do offer maybe?

Well that is your first problem. K-lite codec pack is absolutely not needed. VLC on its own should play almost all file types without additional codecs needed. When you find a video that it doesnt play, which is rare, its much smarter to just install what you need rather than dozens of codecs which conflict with each other and are overkill.

Last edited:
I honestly doubt it's a codec issue. It would be affecting VLC and WMP/etc differently if it was.

Alright so I checked again after this post and noticed that only VLC has issues after re-installing ffdshow, so I guess it's a vlc-internal problem. Don't know if others still have issues on all media players. That doesn't really help a lot because windows media player has sucky quality anyways and I really want to play my videos with vlc - but it's a start. Does anyone know if you can force vlc to use the system codecs? maybe that would help since media player seems to play the videos "fine" (it's still not really good quality - for example black parts have a lot of grey in them in WMP, but as far as I know WMP always did that and at least the videos don't get all blurry, the videos play perfectly on VLC on my mac btw so I know it's not an issue with the video).
Don't know, maybe the problems will be back when I get home from work in WMP but we'll see ...

thanks for your help so far

Back
Top Bottom