Windows 7 Printing wirelessly from a laptop with windows 7

Gary Nightwagon

I have a laptop with windows 7 and I want to print wirelessly from that computer to a printer that is connected to a desktop PC with Windows XP.

Can anyone help me do this? I've spent several hours today trying to figure this out and i've been unsuccessful. I've searched for "how to's" but I keep on running into dead-ends.

Thanks.

-Gary

Gary;
Hello and welcome to the forum, you can try this and if you get stuck at a particular step post back and let us know. Typically the problem might arise when you attempt to add a local port that is actually directed at the network machine sharing the resource, this is usually a product of not having permissions "access denied" if that happens make sure that you have a username and password on the other machine that is identical to the one you are using on the machine that you are trying to gain access from, the other thing that can produce the "access denied" issue is firewalls and antivirus security suites so uninstall them until you get the printer issue resolved.
Open Devices and Printers
Select add printer near the top menu bar
Select add local printer
Choose Create a new port and local port from drop down arrow Click Next
In the enter a port name do one of the following
1. \\MachineNameHostingPrinter\Printer'sShareName or
2. \\ipaddressOfMachineHostingPrinter\Printer'sShareName
In the install printer driver dialog box do one of the following
1. In the left panel select you printer manufacturer and in the right panel select your printer model (to use Win7 native drivers) or
2. Select the have disk button and direct the install process to the folder where you have download and extracted the Win 7 drivers for your printer.

Thanks for the help. I tried that earlier and was unsuccessful.

I just tried again and got to the "enter a port name:" box where I entered my computer name and shared printer and I received a message that said "The network path was not found.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks for the help. I tried that earlier and was unsuccessful.

I just tried again and got to the \"enter a port name:\" box where I entered my computer name and shared printer and I received a message that said \"The network path was not found.

Any idea how to fix this?
That's why I posted a couple different choices, did you try the \\IPaddress\ShareNameOfPrinter instead of the computer name. As I said you need to have access permissions to files and folders on the computer hosting the printer and you need to make sure that there are not third party programs like firewalls and antivirus / internet security suites on that computer that may be preventing you from accessing it. Ping the computer by ipaddress and then ping it by name, make sure you have network connectivity before you proceed if you can't ping you can't network

Back