Windows 7 [Problem] - Windows 7 ask for password if I access a Windows XP computer

Pidgeon

Well there are 2 PC in my LAN:

• NB
    • Notebook

• WiFi connection to my router NETGEAR DGN2200V3

• Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1

• DSK
    • Desktop

• Cabled connection to my router NETGEAR DGN2200V3

• Windows XP Home Edition 32bit SP3

If from DSK I try to access NB shared folders through network, everything is fine.
If from NB I try to access DSK shared folders through network, the following window appears:

kI34w.jpg

The strange thing is that this problem seems to occur randomly! Sometimes it occurs, sometimes not (during the same session of usage of NB). This is annoying because usually I need to work with NB on files which are stored in DSK through local network, so if I need to apply a change to a file, sometimes I won't have a chance to do that.

I still haven't been able to solve the problem, I hope someone could help me... :confused:

If you check the box against the "memorizza credenziali" option you should not have any future problem.

The problem is that I have to fill a username and a password, and I don't know what to fill.

My account name in DSK is "Pidgeon", administrator account without password.

If I fill Pidgeon in the box, leaving the password box empty, then the window appears again and doesn't let me to browse DSK files.

Sometimes, during the same session, when I try to browse DSK files, the window doesn't appear and I'm able to browse DSK folders.

I believe that Windows 7 has introduced a restriction for logging onto a networked pc which requires that it must have a password set. Set a password on the pc to which you are trying to connect and use that to make the connection and you should be ok.

I believe that Windows 7 has introduced a restriction for logging onto a networked pc which requires that it must have a password set. Set a password on the pc to which you are trying to connect and use that to make the connection and you should be ok.

Some minutes ago I configured DSK and NB so that the account for both has the same username and password.

When on NB I try to access DSK shared folders, the window I posted in my first post appears, I fill the data but neither this time I have granted access...

This is what happens:
- I reset NB WiFi connection
- Using NB I try to access DSK shared folders --> everything is ok
- About 5 minutes passes
- Using NB I try to access DSK shared folders --> the authentication window appears, I fill the username and password fields but they won't be recognized

I need to work on DSK files directly from NB through my local network, so it is very annoying to reset my WiFi connection every 5 minutes... Just I don't know what the solution to this problem could be.

Last edited:
Not sure this will help but it might set both PC to a static IP rather than DHCP.

I just did what you suggested, but the problem persists.

However, this time if I try to access DSK shared folders, the authentication window appears everytime (even if I reset my WiFi connection as I explained above).

I fill the form with the username and password, but still they aren't recognized, so I can't browse DSK shared folders.

Last edited:
So younow have username and password set on all computers attached to the netword?

So younow have username and password set on all computers attached to the netword?

Exactly. A strange thing is that:
- From NB to DSK it asks me username/password, I enter them but they are not recognized.
- From DSK to NB I can browse shared folders every time without asking me username/password, but I can't modify the files.

Well, after having spent 4 hours/day for 5 days trying to find a solution to this stupid problem, here is what happened:

1) I executed "ping PIDGEON-DSK" on NB.
2) I noticed that IP of DSK was 192.168.56.1.
I thought, strange, DSK was set to a static ip, or 192.168.0.2...
3) I executed "ipconfig" on NB.
I noticed that the network card "Scheda Ethernet VirtualBox Host-Only Network" was associated to the same ip of DSK (192.168.56.1).
4) I remembered that I installed VirtualBox even on DSK.
5) I noticed that the network card "Scheda Ethernet VirtualBox Host-Only Network" had the same static ip on both DSK and NB (192.168.56.1).
6) I changed the "Scheda Ethernet VirtualBox Host-Only Network" static ip of DSK to 192.168.57.1.
7) I tried to access DSK shared folders from NB.
8) No authentication window appeared.
9) I was able to browser/modify DSK share folders.
10) I waited 10 more minutes.
11) No authentication window appeared.
12) I was able to browser/modify DSK share folders.

Problem solved.

In short, this happened because some months ago I installed VirtualBox on both DSK and NB. When you install VirtualBox, it creates a network card so that you are able to connect to internet when using the guest system. The problem is that the network card has the same ip (192.168.56.1) for every VirtualBox installation, so if you connect 2 PC with VirtualBox installed, there will be network card conflicts unless you change the static IP of one of the cards.

Thank you Pidgeon for sharing your solution!
I was struggling with the same problem in these days too! I had not thought about Virtualbox yet!
Thanks again!

A fellow italian ;)
Ps Mi sono iscritto al forum apposta per ringraziarti (mi ci sono sbattuto un sacco!)

I'm glad it worked for you!

I still remember how many days I've spent to solve that problem and how happy I've been after having found the solution!

Back