Windows 7 Problems with internet connection with some programs.

Gutowski44

Hello,

I've been having a lot of problems with connection issues with some programs trying to access the internet, using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit Edition. I currently run a hardwired highspeed broadband connection, and doing speed tests I run at 4862 kbps download speed, and 476 kbps upload speed. I can use Internet Explorer with no problems, but using any other program that tries the access the internet, I simply get a "You need to connect to the internet", or "No internet connection available" message. I've been reading around these forums trying to find a fix, and I've had no luck with some of the things I've tried.

I currently run McAfee Security Center, and have disabled my firewall and allowed all programs "Full Internet Access", but that never fixed anything.

I've tried changing my local area internet connection settings, as I've read on here, to disable IPv6, and added preferred and alternate DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. This never fixed anything either.

Trying to update any software I have, or trying to play an online game, has become very frustrating since my computer is saying I have no internet connection, when in reality, my connection is fine. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

First I would try completely removing McAfee by using the control panel programs and features applet reboot, then I would download and run McAfee's own consumer product removal tool which you can download from their website reboot again, and see if the problem persists. If you have any additional third party security software installed I would also uninstall those products as well. If you have had any other third party security software installed, then I would attempt to find their respective uninstaller application from the manufactuer's website and run it, since the uninstall through the control panel will often still leave remnants that can cause problems.

First I would try completely removing McAfee by using the control panel programs and features applet reboot, then I would download and run McAfee's own consumer product removal tool which you can download from their website reboot again, and see if the problem persists. If you have any additional third party security software installed I would also uninstall those products as well. If you have had any other third party security software installed, then I would attempt to find their respective uninstaller application from the manufactuer's website and run it, since the uninstall through the control panel will often still leave remnants that can cause problems.

Thanks for your response Trouble,

I've done what you've asked by uninstalling McAfee, and then also running the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool I got from their website. While it was uninstalled, I still had problems accessing the internet with all other programs, except Internet Explorer. So I am ruling out my antivirus software as the source of the problem. I contacted Dell Support today, they told me their not sure whats causing the problem, but told me that reinstalling Windows 7 "might" fix the issue. I'm hoping you, Trouble, or someone else might have something else I can try before doing a full reinstallation of Windows.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris:
Thanks for trying that and sorry it didn't work. We just had so many issues with Security Suites like McAfee, Norton, Comodo, Zone Alarm, etc., that, that's generally a first step to exposing a cause for some issues.
Can we assume that you haven't had and do not have at this time any other third party security software running?
Does McAfee seem to update properly when installed?
Can you be more specific as to what programs you are having this problem with.
Have you tried downloading Malwarebytes http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button it's free and I would suggest installing, updating to the latest signatures ( if it can successfully) and running a full scan just to see if any issues may have slipped by McAfee.

Back