Windows 7 Problems with XP on other partition

vintagesierra

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this on, but I have been having some major problems with my computer recently. I am dual booted with XP and 7 on two separate partitions.

We got the USB internet modem from Verizon Wireless yesterday to try it out, our house in the country can't get good internet service any way we try. This was working fine until today when I go to log in. XP is no longer recognizing the usb modem so I restart. The computer then says since there have been significant hardware changes and Windows XP needs to be activated again. I try to get the computer to recognize the modem so I can connect to the internet because XP is no longer recognizing my old connection, I restart, reinstall, everything and nothing works. Then I restart back into XP and it is telling me the Microsoft UI has a problem and I try to exit out of that, it says send error report, but it keeps popping back up. Then I can't log out, restart, shut down from the start menu at all.

Anyways, as of right now I am on Windows 7 trying to figure what happened to Windows XP. I found some trojans on XP with a SpyDoctor scan so I'm thinking they might be the cause of something, I don't know. When I boot into Windows XP all that comes up is the background image. I have Windows XP backed up on an external hard drive, am I looking at just having to reinstall Windows XP on the other hard drive and do a backup from my backup image? I have no idea how to go about doing that, but would that take care of the problem?

Back