Windows 7 Quick question regarding Windows 7 and Windows XP

computernerdsahoy

Hi everybody!

Ok so here's the scenario:

I have 2 Hard Drives. One is a Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA2 and one is a Seagate Barracuda 160GB SATA2. Both drives were formatted and each has 2 partitions on it. The 500GB has an 83GB partition and a 382GB partition. The 83Gb partition on this drive is where i installed Windows 7 Beta (no other OS was installed prior to this) and the 382GB partition is for all my data (nothing on it yet). The 160GB has 99.6GB partition and a 40 some GB partition on it. The 99.6GB partition is where I installed Windows XP PRO SP3 AFTER I installed Windows 7 Beta. SO I have Windows 7 Beta on one Hard Drive and Windows XP PRO SP3 on the second Hard Drive..

My question is this. Why when I reboot my computer do I not get the Dual boot option on startup? When I reboot it automatically boots into Windows XP.. I don't even get the option to choose... what's going on here?? How can I fix this? Is it even possible to fix this without reinstalling? Thanks in advance for all your help. and I apologize if this is in the wrong area on the forum..

Hi,
I had xp already installed on my computer first, I merely formatted my 2nd. h-drive and installed win 7 on it, and the choice to boot was there, default win 7 or up arrow for "older" operating system, try a re-install of win 7 to the h-drive, after making sure the xp h-drive is master and the 2nd h-drive is set to slave, you should be ok then

Hi everybody!

Ok so here's the scenario:

I have 2 Hard Drives. One is a Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA2 and one is a Seagate Barracuda 160GB SATA2. Both drives were formatted and each has 2 partitions on it. The 500GB has an 83GB partition and a 382GB partition. The 83Gb partition on this drive is where i installed Windows 7 Beta (no other OS was installed prior to this) and the 382GB partition is for all my data (nothing on it yet). The 160GB has 99.6GB partition and a 40 some GB partition on it. The 99.6GB partition is where I installed Windows XP PRO SP3 AFTER I installed Windows 7 Beta. SO I have Windows 7 Beta on one Hard Drive and Windows XP PRO SP3 on the second Hard Drive..

My question is this. Why when I reboot my computer do I not get the Dual boot option on startup? When I reboot it automatically boots into Windows XP.. I don't even get the option to choose... what's going on here?? How can I fix this? Is it even possible to fix this without reinstalling? Thanks in advance for all your help. and I apologize if this is in the wrong area on the forum..

My suggestion would be instead of messing around with it trying to figure it out, just re-format both drives and start fresh (since you said you don't have any data on either drive yet, it would be less hassle and probably quicker in the end ;) ) Install Windows XP first on either drive than install Windows 7 Beta on the other drive, that should bring up the dual boot option.. I'm really not sure why it wasn't coming up the way you had it setup.. another odd problem.. but what I suggested should work. ;)

That's actually what I did Radenight. It worked perfectly. I searched some other forums and couldn't find any real help for it so I just decided to try starting fresh and it worked! I'm so happy cause I absolutely love Windows 7!!! :):)
I only keep XP around for some older games that don't seem to wanna work on Win 7Thanks for your suggestion anyways though. Much appreciated!!!!!

You could've just booted the Windows 7 disk, and repaired the boot manager.... but anyways.....
Problem solved.
-Closed-

Back
Top Bottom