Windows 8 Random short freezes Windows 8

Jim Berggren

Hi,

I recently got myself a new ssd disc and Windows 8 64-bit.
After a while i started to get some random short freezes that stays for about 5 seconds. The display completely freezes and the sound goes in slow motion for about 0.5 seconds then it get's back to normal and then it happens again. I get these freezes about 2-4 times per day.

Please tell me if you need the full spec.

Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis: http://windows8forums.com/windows-8-errors-bsods/11837-how-ask-help-bsod.html

We've seen a number of BSOD issues with SSD's. Here's the information that I've compiled so far:
There's not a whole bunch available to test SSD's. The "easiest" test is to remove the SSD, install a platter-based hard drive, install Windows and test for stability that way.

Here's some suggestions:
- Update the SSD's firmware to the latest available version (VERY IMPORTANT!!!)
- Update the motherboard controllers drivers to the latest available version from the controller manufacturer (NOT the mobo manufacturer unless you can't find any on the controller manufacturer's website)
- Slow the memory (RAM) down to the next slower speed (I've only seen one person who claimed that this worked for them).
- Use any manufacturer's utilities that you may have. If you don't have any, then try this free one (I haven't used it myself): Crystal Dew World
- Update chipset and storage controller drivers to the latest available from the manufacturer of the device (not the manufacturer of the motherboard). Be sure to update ALL controllers on the motherboard!
....NOTE: Recently (Nov 2011) we had BSOD issues with the Marvell 91xx controller and an SSD. You may have to switch controllers also.
- Replace the SSD with a platter based hard drive and see if that stops the BSOD's. If it does, then it's likely that there's a problem with the SSD OR an incompatibility with your system.
It's my opinion that SSD's aren't reliable enough (with current hardware) to be used on a system that needs to work reliably. Until I see reliability I will not recommend, nor will I use, SSD's for critical applications.
06 Dec 2011 - This post tends to confirm issues with certain SSD chipsets and certain controllers - [SOLVED] cant find the cause of BSOD F4 - Tech Support Forum
29 May 2012 - The frequency of BSOD's with SSD's seems to have been decreasing over the last several months. It may be approaching time to re-evaluate my stand on their suitability for use in production systems.
10 Nov 2012 - I'm seeing an upswing in SSD errors - but most appear due to older storage controller drivers. I strongly suggest NOT using storage controller drivers that don't date from 2012 (if none are available, don't connect an SSD to that controller)
05 Jan 2013 - very interesting post about difficulties with the Marvell controllers even when not connected to the SSD drives: https://www.eightforums.com/bsod-cr...-pc-reboots-when-waking-sleep.html#post169956

I understand that.

1) The issues are similar - so trying the BSOD fixes is likely to help

2) We often see freezing issues after fixing BSOD's - so this may be related.

3) The reports that I requested will help to find issues on your system - even if you're not having BSOD's

On that board the controllers are run by the SATAII and III controllers integrated into the Intel® P67 (B3) chipset
You'll need the latest version of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers from here: Intel Download Center
DO NOT use the Enterprise drivers

I'd suggest starting with the AHCI drivers first. If they refuse to install, then try the RAID drivers next. (there's no clear info that I can see on the MSI website telling us which one is used).

I still need the reports so I can see what's going on inside of the OS.

Also, please provide this:
- open Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

Hi, this is new to me so i'm not really following here. I would appreciate if you can make a list of numbers where i should start. I tried to download the AHCI drivers but got these files http://i.imgur.com/zXkDTpL.jpg and i don't know what to do with them.

What reports do you mean you need?

I really appreciate the help. Thank you.

I've tried to install AHCI drivers but i don't get any .exe files so i don't know how to install them. I'm new to this and i really want to learn but can you provide a list where i should start?

And here's the attachments.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Admin.zip
    644.8 KB · Views: 370
  • W7F_03-03-2013.zip
    804.1 KB · Views: 416
Last edited by a moderator:
It appears that you downloaded the "F6" drivers - those are the one's that you're supposed to use when installing the Operating System - not for updating it. More on this later on in the post.

Admin logs show these 2 problems:
- Razer Synapse drivers are having problems. Uninstall it, then download and install the latest, Win8 compatible version of their software/drivers. If there are no Win8 drivers - DO NOT install Win7/earlier drivers.
Application 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Razer\Synapse\RzSynapse.exe' (pid 692) cannot be restarted - Application SID does not match Conductor SID..
- Display Fusion (from Binary Fortress) is not compatible with this version of Windows. Please uninstall it.
The application (Display Fusion, from vendor Binary Fortress) has the following problem: Display Fusion är inte kompatibelt med den här versionen av Windows. Kontakta Binary Fortress om du vill ha mer information.

Your BIOS dates from 2011. Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any BIOS updates available for your system. Also check the readme file to see if they apply to the problems that you are having. Please be advised that flashing the BIOS is a very unforgiving process - and one mistake can physically damage your motherboard.

Here's the links for your RST drivers:

AHCI - the link is the 3rd one down on this page (File name: STOR_Win7_8_11.7.0.1013_PV.exe): http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...rsion=Windows 8, 64-bit*&DownloadType=Drivers

RAID - the link is the 3rd one down on this page (File name: STOR_Win7_8_11.7.0.1013_PV.exe): http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...rsion=Windows 8, 64-bit*&DownloadType=Drivers

Thank you for the fast reply, I've uninstalled the programs as you said but I went to msi.com to check for some updates and it seems like there is one from 2013 YAY.
It's just that it's for Windows XP and Windows 7. Should I try it anyway?

And now i tried to install the RST drivers but got a pop up message that my computer does not meet the minimum criteria or something like that (i don't really know how to translate it from Swedish to English)

Go back to the PC manufacturer's website for the RST drivers. Also let us know what date they are.

Jim,

Likely cus the Update is from before 8 arrived on the scene. As long as it's the latest, should be ok... 8 likes most everything 7 likes.

I would advise you run Check Disc (CHKDSK /r) and run sfc /scannow; use cmd, Run as Admin.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

Jim,

Likely cus the Update is from before 8 arrived on the scene. As long as it's the latest, should be ok... 8 likes most everything 7 likes.

I would advise you run Check Disc (CHKDSK /r) and run sfc /scannow; use cmd, Run as Admin.

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 1266

Are you sure about this? I can't afford a new motherboard right now :)

Jim,

1st, going back a bit, yes, you should try MSI.

From my experience, it sounds suspiciously like a firmware/BIOS issue. Get MSI to confirm that you have the right one or the latest one. I've seen it where a M/B fresh out of the box, brand new, isn't up to date by the time it's purchased.

Yep, I'm sure.

Cheers,
Drew

Jim,

If you can't come to a determination w/in the MSI web site, they should have a toll free # for a Help Desk.

Cheers,
Drew

Hi guys, i'm happy to tell you that i have'nt had the freeze stutter for about 2 days now. I updated my bios to the latest but got a bootmgr error message when booting so i re-installed my Windows and formated all my discs. I will try it out for a couple days more and tell you if it appears again. Thanks for the awesome help.

And there it was, damn. What's next guys?

Tried to change from ide to AHCI mode in bios and got a blue screen, what's up with this?

This is so annoying, should i get a new motherboard to fix the problem that way or do you think this is caused by my ssd?

Jim,

I do not feel it's the SSD. I am running SSD w/ no problem(s). BUT, I did have to R&R a brand new M/B due to firmware issues....

Personally, I would, indeed, suggest you do the same.

Cheers,
Drew

Back