Windows 8 Random sound playing

pauladev

I can't pinpoint any action that may have triggered it, but the last two days I have heard what can only be described as a mechanical laughing sound playing from the speakers at random intervals, sometimes every couple of minutes. The sound is not always of the same duration, but always sounds like laughing.
I turned the Windows Sound System to 'none', but still hear the sound. It is possibly something in Chrome, but I have looked through all the processes in Task Manager, but cannot see anything I think that looks strange.
I have rescanned for viruses, though I only use Defender, and nothing shows.
Does anyone know of anything, virus, malware or other that may have this effect of playing this sound at random?

Thanks but I tried various malware detectors, but eventually came up with the surprising answer when an animated banner ad appeared at the bottom of the screen, which was playing this laughing sound and had the words 'quando tu vais morrrer' in Portuguese (I am on a Portuguese IP) meaning 'When are you going to die?' Quite sinister and I am not sure if it was an ad or a joke, but the small print underneath said this ad is supported by G Mail+ Checker, a Chrome extension which I had recently installed. I removed the extension and the laughing sound disappeared. I am not sure why it played in the background but it seemed to be activated by Gmail arriving on an open Chrome tab, which I had in the background.

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your problem. Appreciate you coming back and updating your thread with that information as it will possibly help others, hopefully.
Thanks for taking the time to join our community and we all hope to continue to see you around.
Regards
Randy

Back