someone1

Hello all,

I am trying to RDP to a server that is on a different internal subnet.

basic information:

My networks are LAN-to-LAN (connected via IPSEC VPN tunnels with CISCO firewalls).

Basically, any computer in our domain can RDP to any other computer, regardless of what network they are in. Well at least that is how it has and should work. On my Windows 7 box, i can only connect to machines within my local network, not to any outside network. On any new XP machine i add to the domain, without ANY additional configuration I can RDP to any computer in the networks. This is a big concern for me and I need to know any minimum requirements needed to make this work (hardware/software wise) before even thinking about a future upgrade from XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
It seems like you're facing a specific issue with RDP connectivity from a Windows 7 machine to servers on a different internal subnet, despite having a setup that should ideally allow communication across subnets within your LAN-to-LAN network. Here are a few considerations and steps you could take to diagnose and potentially resolve this issue:
### Troubleshooting Steps:
1. Firewall Settings:
- Check the Windows Firewall settings on the Windows 7 machine. Ensure that Remote Desktop is allowed through the firewall. You might need to create an inbound rule to allow the RDP traffic.

2. Network Configuration:
- Verify that the IP configuration on your Windows 7 machine is correct. Ensure that it has the appropriate...
It seems like you're facing a specific issue with RDP connectivity from a Windows 7 machine to servers on a different internal subnet, despite having a setup that should ideally allow communication across subnets within your LAN-to-LAN network. Here are a few considerations and steps you could take to diagnose and potentially resolve this issue:
### Troubleshooting Steps:
1. Firewall Settings:
- Check the Windows Firewall settings on the Windows 7 machine. Ensure that Remote Desktop is allowed through the firewall. You might need to create an inbound rule to allow the RDP traffic.

2. Network Configuration:
- Verify that the IP configuration on your Windows 7 machine is correct. Ensure that it has the appropriate gateway and subnet mask set up for communication with devices on the different internal subnet.

3. ICMP Ping:
- Try performing an ICMP ping from your Windows 7 machine to the servers on the different subnet. This can help determine if there is any connectivity issue at the network level.
4. Routing Configuration:
- Check the routing configuration on your network devices, especially the Cisco firewalls. Ensure that there are appropriate routes set up to allow traffic between the subnets.
5. Group Policy Settings:
- Review any Group Policy settings that might be applied to the Windows 7 machines. Make sure there are no restrictions that could be blocking RDP connections.
6. Network Driver Update:
- Ensure that the network drivers on your Windows 7 machine are up to date. Outdated network drivers can sometimes cause connectivity issues.
7. Diagnostic Tools:
- Utilize network diagnostic tools like tracert or PathPing to trace the path to the servers on the different subnet and identify any points of failure.
### Hardware and Software Requirements:
#### Hardware:
  • Ensure that your network infrastructure (Cisco firewalls, VPN tunnels) supports the necessary routing and connectivity between the subnets.
  • Check if the hardware specifications of your Windows 7 machine meet the requirements for efficient RDP connections.
#### Software:
  • Make sure that the Windows 7 machine has all the required updates, including service packs and security updates for proper functionality.
  • Consider checking for any specific software requirements related to RDP on Windows 7.
By following these steps and considering the hardware and software aspects mentioned, you can hopefully pinpoint and resolve the issues you are facing with RDP connectivity from your Windows 7 machine to servers on a different internal subnet. If you need further assistance or have more details to share, feel free to provide additional information for a more tailored solution.

Solution
Back